p&o drinks expensive!

caziann

I agree that the US lines drinks are more expensive, but if anything like Cunard the short measures are almost double and include the mixer so don't work out that much more expensive, but of course there is the 15% added on top.

Drinks packages are a good idea, you purchase them if you want to, if you don't drink a lot then you have no need to. P&o and Cunard are going to have to keep up with the other cruise lines on things like this, I just wish they would hurry up!

P and O prices are catching up with the other lines, we noticed a big difference this time on Azura

I don't drink much, maybe a few cocktails and soft drinks, they have gone up

A diet Pepsi was 1.20 now £1.90 and that is pump Pepsi and mostly ice

On Celebrity a can of coke was $2 dollars plus 15 %, and they also have a happy hour buy 2 for 1

The cocktails I had were £5.25 so about the same as celebrity

Have just returned from the RCI IOTS and have sailed on Celebrity for the last 3 cruises. Have just been looking at info for our cruise on the Oceana in April and laughed at the price of the wine packages! It works out as £92 for 6 bottles of wine ---- :eek::D I think we have died and gone to cruise heaven!!

AND there is no 15% extra on top of every drink.

P&O is definitely the cheapest we have sailed with --- and thinking about it their prices compare well to 3 / 4 star hotels we stay at. (In August a large glass of Pinot was nearly £10 at a hotel in Manchester!!!)

Are you sure about that as all the packages in May were subject to 15% added on top of the cost! has it changed since then ?

I am sure that you pay that as part of your overall cost anyway.

We did a wine package in the Summer on Silhouette, but it was still far more expensive than the P&O offer --- and we're not saying this because we love P&O more than Celebrity (our cruise history tells you that's not so)

I can't imagine paying anywhere near £15 for a bottle of wine on Celebrity in a package! (Unless it is a small bottle ----)

:)

You gotta laugh at the 'P&O drinks are cheaper' comments. Who's to say how much a drink is on Celebrity? One things for sure, with a drinks package, the more you drink, the cheaper it is. Happy days!

Cost of a bottle of wine on Celebrity - well with the package we had, we could have wine up to the value of $12 a glass - at 4 glasses in a bottle, that works out at $48 dollars a bottle. Guess what, - you can have as few, or as many glasses of that quality wine as you like.

So, paying for drinks on an individual basis you do get charged 15% on top. However, with a package it's one price up front and that's it. Four of us had the most expensive package last summer on Silhouette, and all of us saved a lot of money - and none of us are heavy drinkers.

You gotta laugh at the 'P&O drinks are cheaper' comments. Who's to say how much a drink is on Celebrity? One things for sure, with a drinks package, the more you drink, the cheaper it is. Happy days!

Cost of a bottle of wine on Celebrity - well with the package we had, we could have wine up to the value of $12 a glass - at 4 glasses in a bottle, that works out at $48 dollars a bottle. Guess what, - you can have as few, or as many glasses of that quality wine as you like.

So, paying for drinks on an individual basis you do get charged 15% on top. However, with a package it's one price up front and that's it. Four of us had the most expensive package last summer on Silhouette, and all of us saved a lot of money - and none of us are heavy drinkers.

We'll have to agree to disagree. All we can compare it is to the packages we buy and what we drink. Each to their own ----- but for us, it is a real saver on P&O.

:)

You sound like the woman shopper who goes to the sales and comes home with 14 shopping bags and proceeds to tell her husband how much she has saved him today! :)

I think £3.50-£4.00 for a bottle of beer very good, no matter where you are.

I also agree with others in that P & O prices are really good compared to others. We've been on Royal Caribbean and you had 15% on top of that with every purchase. We learnt from that.

I also found on P & O prices for bottles of wines and Prosecco were excellent. You also had the duty free shop and you could drink your own purchases which was fantastic as we've never been allowed to do that on any other ship.

Yeh, all in all well impressed with their bar prices...

Royal carribean do fosters lager in 750ml cans and at $8 £5 for nearly a pint and a half it is cheaper than P&O which is £3.75 a pint or if you have to buy bottles £7.20 a pint.

P&O are quite good on prices but they seem to sell expensive small bottles and cans. if they sold 500ml cans it would be much better and to be fair theey can buy 500ml cans for about 40p so would make a very decent £3 minimum profit

• 2 weeks later...
I have yet to find cider on any cruise ship. Apple concentrate with added alcohol should be called just that.

They sell Magners original 568ml

Magners Pear 568ml at £4.25

Strongbow 440ml at £3.50

Crabbie's Ginger Bear 500ml at £3.50

Royal carribean do fosters lager in 750ml cans and at $8 £5 for nearly a pint and a half it is cheaper than P&O which is £3.75 a pint or if you have to buy bottles £7.20 a pint.

P&O are quite good on prices but they seem to sell expensive small bottles and cans. if they sold 500ml cans it would be much better and to be fair theey can buy 500ml cans for about 40p so would make a very decent £3 minimum profit

I suppose it depends on what you like as well. My husband leasts favourite lager would be Fosters and I sometimes like a half pint of lager when I'm on me hols and again Fosters wouldnt be my choice and 750ml is far too much (in my opinion). By the time my husband got through all that it would be flat and warm. :D...Also you have the vat on top of that, which is it still 15%, or has that gone up?

I'm surprised Royal Carribbean are still charging 8 dollars for a beer because we sailed with them back in 2009 and that was the beer prices then. Maybe they have had to put a hold on their prices because although we had a lovely cruise, we just felt the prices werent justified.

Don't forget that RC add 15% gratuity to bar prices.

P&O don't add any gratuity, and if you are a regular cruiser you can get up to 10% discount OFF the prices!

Best value on P&O is Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer - £3.75 for 500 ml - and if you drink it with ice you get even more (as long as the ice melts) !!!!

the ginger is also good for motion sickness - so drink a lot in Biscay!

Don't forget that RC add 15% gratuity to bar prices.

P&O don't add any gratuity, and if you are a regular cruiser you can get up to 10% discount OFF the prices!

Best value on P&O is Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer - £3.75 for 500 ml - and if you drink it with ice you get even more (as long as the ice melts) !!!!

the ginger is also good for motion sickness - so drink a lot in Biscay!

So clearly you will not drink it in port!

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

RC do a drinks package. Brings the price down considerably.

But you have to drink quite a lot for that to be cheaper. Also with P&O large numbers of passengers get 7 1/2% to 10% off the drinks bill as well.

Gan Canny

Dai

And with royal Caribbean loyal cruisers get free drinks in their own lounge between 5.30 and 8.30 as well as a couple of cocktail parties with complimentary drinks on a typical cruise. Every little helps as they say

Boy I am going to miss all those perks next week on the Aurora!

Still, I will suffer to keep my sister company:p

Beggars can't be choosers:)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Forums mobile app

But you have to drink quite a lot for that to be cheaper. Also with P&O large numbers of passengers get 7 1/2% to 10% off the drinks bill as well.

Gan Canny

Dai

Quite a lot? Don't think so Dai. Four of us are in our mid sixties and far from heavy drinkers. We reckoned the package we had halved the cost of the drinks bill, making the drinks cheaper on Celebrity than they are on P&O.

Quite a lot? Don't think so Dai. Four of us are in our mid sixties and far from heavy drinkers. We reckoned the package we had halved the cost of the drinks bill, making the drinks cheaper on Celebrity than they are on P&O.

Plus the Celebrity package includes Speciality Coffees and bottled water.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Come on from memory you talked about £35 per person.

That's 1 bottle wine.....£15

2 large G&T's ...........£10

3 pints.............£10

All assuming 10% discount

That is each of you, every day. No wonder you think Celebrity is great most of it would be in a haze. That's 16 to 20 units per day.

Gan Canny

Dai