Beware lhr terminal 5 security

PORT ROYAL

Hi Guys

Warning to anybody flying from London Heathrow via Terminal 5

The BAA Security Service (Term used loosely) are being overzealous in their interpretation of thorough.

The actual process can take over one hour, then you may then miss your BA Flight to Europe if you observe the advice of your ticket, being to check in 45 minutes prior to flying.

Also if you are unlucky enough to get BA Gate C61, note that this gate is a comfortable 20 minutes journey (walk/train/walk) after getting past security for an able bodied person.

Please allow a minimum of one hour and 30 minutes after BA check-in.

PS: Do not blame BA - It is not their fault!!

Hi Guys

Warning to anybody flying from London Heathrow via Terminal 5

The BAA Security Service (Term used loosely) are being overzealous in their interpretation of thorough.

The actual process can take over one hour, then you may then miss your BA Flight to Europe if you observe the advice of your ticket, being to check in 45 minutes prior to flying.

Also if you are unlucky enough to get BA Gate C61, note that this gate is a comfortable 20 minutes journey (walk/train/walk) after getting past security

Please allow a minimum of one hour and 30 minutes after BA check-in.

PS: Do not blame BA - It is not their fault!!

Thanks for the heads up. Will be flying through LHR terminal 5 in a couple of weeks to board our cruise in ATH.

45 minutes prior to departure is when check-in closes, not their recommended check-in time. I would never cut it that close for check-in.

45 minutes prior to departure is when check-in closes, not their recommended check-in time. I would never cut it that close for check-in.

Yep, exactly. 45 minutes is when BA closes their check-in desks at LHR...very, VERY different than recommended check-in times. Unless I had fast-pass everything (security, etc.), there is no way I would cut it that close. In fact, I always do have fast-pass security at LHR and never arrive less than 80-90 minutes before my flight.

I flew business class on a round trip to FLL, last winter, with a connecting flight in T5. In the early morning it was ok. Some waiting in line, but nothing too bad.

On the way back however, I landed in rush hour from ORD (Chicago) and transit was a hell. Even with the special 'fast lane', security took over an hour to clear. This is the only reason I'll never be flying BA again. Good lounge, good service and I LOVE their backwards seat in business class, but LHR T5 is just too much of an adventure to connect. And believe me, I'm used to some crazy things, I work in an airport.

I flew business class on a round trip to FLL, last winter, with a connecting flight in T5. In the early morning it was ok. Some waiting in line, but nothing too bad.

On the way back however, I landed in rush hour from ORD (Chicago) and transit was a hell. Even with the special 'fast lane', security took over an hour to clear. This is the only reason I'll never be flying BA again. Good lounge, good service and I LOVE their backwards seat in business class, but LHR T5 is just too much of an adventure to connect. And believe me, I'm used to some crazy things, I work in an airport.

Wow. In my opinion you were unlucky. I've translated LHR T5 all times of the day, from 5am to 9pm and everywhere in between. With fast track, my transit security has never taken more than 15 minutes.

Archived