Is ESTA required

tomuk

Even though the information on the ESTA site says you don't need a printed copy of your acceptance, always take one. We have cruised TA's a few years on different cruiselines and have aways had to have a copy. The first time, in 2010, no amount of arguing that the site said you didn't need one would get you anywhere, though the cruiseline did allow you to either go online to get a print out, or try to do a new one. This was on a TA from Barcelona and the poor passengers were told if they hadn't managed to have the printed proof by Madeira that they would be off loaded. We were told that the cruiselines had just been told they had to have this printed proof.

As far as the round trip TA's they don't know that you won't be getting off the ship, you might change your mind anyway, so safer for Cunard to ask for it.

We have done cruises from America and always have to still show it, even though we have been accepted into the country in the first place.

Very interesting. Thank you. We'll remember that for our TA, when we book one.

As for not getting off the ship, that's immaterial. You are in US territorial waters so ESTAs are required.

We just came back from NYC from our Hamburg-NYC crossing nov 10-19th.

There has been a lot of fuzz about the recquirement rules of printing out the ESTA confirmations from Cunard staff in Hamburg and at the Purser's desk.

The word was that now a print is mandatory - but they let me board without a printout without a problem.

I have checked the ESTA webpage onboard and they still say that you are not recquired to print out the confirmation!

Immigration WITHOUT the printed receipt was easy - though I had the print (done in Connexions) in my jacket just in case.

Edited by Yoshikitty

My personal experience with Cunard, and the purser's department in particular, is that they some time "create" government regulations to make their lives easier. Having said that, it is perhaps easier to have a printed copy, than to try to deal with these folks.

We just came back from NYC from our Hamburg-NYC crossing nov 10-19th.

There has been a lot of fuzz about the recquirement rules of printing out the ESTA confirmations from Cunard staff in Hamburg and at the Purser's desk.

The word was that now a print is mandatory - but they let me board without a printout without a problem.

I have checked the ESTA webpage onboard and they still say that you are not recquired to print out the confirmation!

Immigration WITHOUT the printed receipt was easy - though I had the print (done in Connexions) in my jacket just in case.

I might be wrong, but my explanation is that, apart from the basically required (online or other) submission of the ESTA form to the particular authorities in charge, who approve or disapprove a passenger to enter the US, the authorities already are in physical possession of this document. They do not request it again as they most probably have it already in their computer files, so a printed version does not need to be presented, be it with Cunard or at the border. However, I think it is always better to take a printed version along ....

In my opinion Cunard has the right to have a look at the printed ESTA, because they have to pay a fee if someone did not have applied for the ESTA. Or the passenger has to refund Cunard for the fee.

Yes it's understandable that Cunard need to know that all passengers have an ESTA, but what's easier than asking for details in the Personaliser?

David.