Belize and Roatan?

marylp

Piggy backing on the OP--

What would you do in these ports with a 7, 4 (developmental age, really he will be 5), and newly 3 year old? We are adventurous, but require any vehicles to have seatbelts (for carseats). My son is a feeding tube kid, so any water has to be reasonably clean (salt water is fine) for his tube to not get infected.

I don't have children but we always do this in Roatan

http://boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm#HMB

Never had an issue and always a great time.You don't need to buy any of the add ons they offer. Roatan is our favorite port by far you will love it!! This is west bay beach,you can snorkel in waist high water and see so many colorful fish

Are snakes and creepy crawlies prevalent in the water? How much time is spent in a dark cave?

For cave tubing? I saw no snakes, but it is the outdoors. It's a jungle, so creepy crawlies are there and always a possibility. That's their home and we are just visitors to it. The caves are definitely dark. They are not like "tourist" caves in the U.S. with lighting installed. Your only source of light will be a headlamp. The main creepy crawlies I saw were some spiders on the hike through the jungle but I'm sure there are plenty there. I did have a fish of some type "nip" at my butt once while in the tube. No damage - you just felt it a bit.

As much as I love the cave tubing tour, if you don't like bugs or the dark it's probably not the tour for you. :)

I think you have plenty of answers but I will add mine.

Belize, cave tubing all the way!! I loved cavetubing.bz, used them 3 times now and will always go back. All the companies and cruise line tours use the same caves and river so it really just depends on who you want to use. Booking off the ship will save you money so why give the cruiselines your money when you can give it to a local tour operator.

Roatan, Not sure who you are cruising with but if you go to Mahogany bay I say run fast to the main gate and get a cab/driver. Mahogany bay is a man made tourist trap made by carnival, you will see pretty much the same shops and layout in Cozumel and Grand Turk since they built those also.

Have them take you to the West end or West bay. West Bay/Tabyana beach is more touristy, and that is where the cruise lines send people, West End is less crowded. I prefer West end, little bar called Sundowners, if you're a hockey fan and there is a game on this is the place!! I have never heard bad things about Bodden and from all the positive reviews sounds like a good deal, I just prefer winging it when I get somewhere.

• 5 months later...

In Roatan we did Pirates Birds and Monkeys of the Caribbean at Gumbalimba Park. Highlight of our cruise. You get to play with monkeys, have maccaws on your shoulder, and play at the beach. Not stroller friendly. My kids loved it. Kids 3 and under free. Spent an hour on the tour and about 2-3 hours at the beach. Lockers are $3 cash only and you will want cash to buy drinks after the tour since it is hot.

In Belize we did Snorkeling Wonders of the Great Barrier Reef. Fantastic for adults. Kids had fun too but it meant only one parent got to snorkel. Kids 5 and under are free. Would do again when kids are older and all can do it. Beach was beautiful and they had lots of shade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

For Roatan If you like the beach do the Tabyana Beach Break most beautiful beach I have been too. Belize there is NOTHING to do there we stay on the ship. But since you like Snorkeling maybe try the Barrier Reef Snorkeling tour that has AMAZING snorkeling. Have Fun! Just to clarify the West End Beach is the same as Tabyana Beach.

To clarify: Tabyana is part of West BAY beach, not West End. West End also has beach, many dive shops, restaurants, etc. For walk-off-the-the beach snorkeling, I'd recommend West Bay. Enjoy Roatan - it's a lovely island!

Hello Everybody, I'm searching for things to do for these 2 locations. I tried looking on the Ports of call forums but it seems that responses are slow in coming. I really like Cozumel because you can get off the ship, shop around get something to eat and get back on. Does anyone know if these 2 ports are set up like this? I also liked Montego Bay bay because they have that Hop On/Hop Off option. We do not really do snorkling, ziplining and stuff like that. Any ideas?

Be sure you know which Roatan dock is your planned port, as two are still used - and your experience in what's near the dock is very different. Roatan is a lovely island, amazing snorkeling and lots to do without being over-developed - enjoy your day!

• 2 weeks later...

We visited in Feb 2013. We wanted to visit the monkey farm, snorkel, shop, eat, and visit a local kingdom hall. Watch out for the monkeys....my father in law got bit! The snorkeling was soso...the topless sunbather on the beach made for interesting conversations with our preteens! Found a local brother willing to tour the group...all 13 of us. What an amazing day! We have since moved to Ensenada, Mexico and are doing the same thing here for the friends.

in regards to the cave tubing in Belize. How HOT will the trip be in late August? Am thinking that a trek thru the jungle at that time of year is going to be incinerator type hot.

thoughts?

michael

It will be very hot and the hike is not a short one like some people may think.My own opinion is that is was nice to try once and different but not really that great for us,I would rather do something else in Belize. I read somewhere on here how great the Xunantunic Mayan Ruins with lunch tour through Carnival was so I think the next time we visit this is what we will do

• 6 months later...
We visited in Feb 2013. We wanted to visit the monkey farm, snorkel, shop, eat, and visit a local kingdom hall. Watch out for the monkeys....my father in law got bit! The snorkeling was soso...the topless sunbather on the beach made for interesting conversations with our preteens! Found a local brother willing to tour the group...all 13 of us. What an amazing day! We have since moved to Ensenada, Mexico and are doing the same thing here for the friends.

I am a JW taking a cruise with a stop in ensenada Nov 10th! I'd love to hear more about your tours!

We will be cave tubing again in Belize in about three weeks. This time with .bz...relaxing and fun. Also doing the zip lining for the first time, so we shall see! This will be our first time to Roatan, we are going to Little French Key. I am surprised that nobody suggested it here. It looks lovely!!! I will let everyone know how it all was in a few weeks!

Been out here over a year looking at things to do in both Roatan and Belize. We did Victor and loved it. We are doing Little French Key this time.

Belize is a tender which the ship tours go first then all the others and then the ones with no tours

It has always been said to not take a taxi in these ports and stay close to the ship. Roatan has had some violence along with Belize. Something for consideration.

Roatan has had some violence

Our guide in Roatan explained the 'violence'. Their electricity provider was bought by a Texan who invested and then raised prices to the point where the locals had trouble paying. They still do! Carnival told them that they couldn't bring cruise ships if there was unrest. Since the locals need the jobs provided by the cruise lines, they caved in. This is the story our guide told us. I am not elaborating on her reference to bribes and corruption in mainland Honduras that made the purchase possible.

There is some reference to it on cruise critic in 2008. The Texan's name is Warren. He has a mansion in Dallas.

Roatan has had some violence

Our guide in Roatan explained the 'violence'. Their electricity provider was bought by a Texan who invested and then raised prices to the point where the locals had trouble paying. They still do! Carnival told them that they couldn't bring cruise ships if there was unrest. Since the locals need the jobs provided by the cruise lines, they caved in. This is the story our guide told us. I am not elaborating on her reference to bribes and corruption in mainland Honduras that made the purchase possible.

There is some reference to it on cruise critic in 2008. The Texan's name is Warren. He has a mansion in Dallas.

I'm a little confused by your response. The crew member was from Norwegian and as previously posted over not giving up his cell phone. NCL did bypass Roatan after and I do not see they have returned.

Most certainly there could be the issue you mention. However, the cruise lines would not be deterred by it. In Mazatlán, the cruise lines stopped because of danger to tourists, not just the cruise tourists.

When we travel, remembering we are in a strange area and take necessary precautions. This is true in the US or outside. Just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

<<I'm a little confused by your response. The crew member was from Norwegian and as previously posted over not giving up his cell phone. NCL did bypass Roatan after and I do not see they have returned.>> - DaNana

You are misinformed as NCL has long since returned to Roatan. As a matter of fact, the Sun has been visiting Roatan every week (Tuesday, November 18th will be the next visit), and the Jewel has been doing the same every 2 weeks (the next visit will occur on Wednesday, November 26th).

Edited by Kinofdc

In Roatan we did the dune buggy excursion with Sandblasters. The ride up the mountain and back down is beautiful. You can opt out of the mud pit if you don't want to get real muddy. It was a nice tour of the island with a little extra excitement.

• 2 months later...
We have used Roatan Ocean Adventure 3 times, EXCELLANT. Herbert Woods is the owner, his help are all relatives. Check Tripadvisor, all 10's!!

Can you tell me which of Herbert's tours you have taken or would recommend? We are considering either the Snorkel Lobster City and Sightseeing or Snorkel Barrier Reef and Sightseeing. Have you done either of these? Did they pick you up and drop you off - can't find that info on their website. Thanks for any help you can give.