Costa Luminosa review October Barcelona to Barcelona cruise

kfowinst

See the following two screenshots.

Philip

Thanks Philip :)

I believe you about the Samsara situation, I can see someone rubs people up the wrong way, I only know what I saw and was told on Luminosa and don't proclaim to be a Costa expert. Hope this information is a little helpful to someone as I couldn't find out much info when I was doing my pre-booking research.

Thanks for a great in depth review, yours along side one posted a few days back now has me interested in looking further into Luminosa.

Vic Vickers was also on our cruise (NeoRomantica) he is a fab entertainer huh? For NeoR which has no theatre he provided a fabulous show.

Regarding dining in the Samsara restaurant - I emailed Costa and this was the reply sent:

Dear Mr X

Thanks a lot for your e.mail,please notice that for passengers that has not booked a Samsara Cabin they have to pay to have lunch/dinner in the Samsara Restaurant as a new Customer that is the first time cruising with us has to pay to have Lunch/dineer in the costa Club Restaurant.

If you have any other question do not Hesitate to write us back

So - it would seem - (for the benefit of CT) one CAN dine in Samsara as we could for a charge. The email came from Italy hence the slightly muddled English.

Thanks for a wonderfully detailed review - so pleased you enjoyed your cruise:)

Thanks for a great in depth review, yours along side one posted a few days back now has me interested in looking further into Luminosa.

Vic Vickers was also on our cruise (NeoRomantica) he is a fab entertainer huh? For NeoR which has no theatre he provided a fabulous show.

Regarding dining in the Samsara restaurant - I emailed Costa and this was the reply sent:

Dear Mr X

Thanks a lot for your e.mail,please notice that for passengers that has not booked a Samsara Cabin they have to pay to have lunch/dinner in the Samsara Restaurant as a new Customer that is the first time cruising with us has to pay to have Lunch/dineer in the costa Club Restaurant.

If you have any other question do not Hesitate to write us back

So - it would seem - (for the benefit of CT) one CAN dine in Samsara as we could for a charge. The email came from Italy hence the slightly muddled English.

Thanks for a wonderfully detailed review - so pleased you enjoyed your cruise:)

Thanks Blondie008

This was my first cruise, so have nothing to compare it to, but I was impressed by the Luminosa. Yes we enjoyed Vic Vickers, the show was only 30 minutes though, although he was really giving it his all, I think he may have passed out if he tried to perform for a full hour, or he would have to slow down A LOT! He is just one of those natural entertainer types, he has a rare gift of appealling to everybody and he got a standing ovation. Not sure if that is common on a cruise or not.

Can I ask, do you think the NeoRomantica would be a better fit for my tastes given that i am attracted to the celebrity decor? Is it less brown and more modern? I haven't seen many pictures of it, but it looks really nice. What is it like sailing on a small ship? I was put off when I heard it has no theatre, but it is encouraging to hear they had Vic Vickers - I was under the impression it had no music and was a 'silent' ship.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

This is true for the Luminosa, I was specific and stated that the Samsara restaurant works as the second specialty restaurant, besides the Club Restaurant, for the following 4 Costa flagships (which fits the Princess GT comparison - these ships has almost 1000 more passengers than Luminosa):

• Fascionosa
  • Favolosa
  • Deliziosa
  • Pacifica

The problem is that cruisetail provides misleading and incorrect information with is home made wiki comparison charts, and it is not helpful in any way.

Philip

It looks like there is the only poster here that provides misleading speculation.

The Deliziosa is a sister ship to the Luminosa - no 1000 more pax.

The Pacifica is not a flagship.

There is only 1 speciality restaurant. The English rep Lucy told us at the welcome meeting that we could not eat in Samsara restaurant unless we had a samsara package. It is a private 'club' restaurant therefore much like Blu on Celebrity. But confusingly the name of the speciality venue is called 'Club luminosa'.

I am guessing the 'Dreams package' is the one I referred to earlier which is available for any cabin and costs €420 pp p/w.. This gives full acces to Samsara perks plus 2 free massages. Seems like a good deal to me, especially if you get a good price on a cabin.

Hi kwofinst,

Thanks for the update.

This is exactly how Samsara restaurant worked on our cruise.

Cruisetrail, you are wrong about the buffet not being available for dinner. As I said the salad bar and pizzeria are open for dinner until 1am. Ok so it wasn't the full buffet, but still somewhere to eat if you don't want MDR experience.

I am correct.

As this was your first cruise let me tell you: according to cruise industry standards this means no buffet for dinner. Period. It's a well known fact about Costa and it's never disputed.

"Somewhere to eat" is OK for a student canteen but not for a cruise ship.

I think the comment about room service is misleading. It was available in our classic cabin (lowest grade). The menu was not extensive however. The service charge was €2.50 I am confused as to how this is any different fro the tip I have been told is necessary to pay on Celebrity??

Again - room service is free on cruise ships. Charging for RS is nickel and diming.

BTW we never use room sevice on cruise ships. The options in the buffet and alternative venues are incomparably better.

As you cruise more you'll see more things to compare.

Enjoy your cruises.

My pleasure!

Oh you must be excited, my mum is now considering this trip for a Christmas Caribbean cruise!

The toiletries were basic - just a 2-in-1 shower gel & shampoo. Soap bar. I think that was it, but we were in the cheapest cabin. It may differ depending on cabin.

Yes there was a hair dryer, in drawer below mirror. It was ok, you hold button down. I didn't bring my own and I think my hair looked ok :)

You can buy toiletries in the shop, they aren't the cheapest, but not expensive brands.

Have fun!!

Thank you for the information! Very helpful! We are leaving right after Christmas celebrating the New Year onboard!

As you stated, there is not much information out there regarding the Luminosa so your review provided answers to questions I had and I'm sure others had, too. Nice to know you and your Mum had a wonderful time!!

Thanks Blondie008

Can I ask, do you think the NeoRomantica would be a better fit for my tastes given that i am attracted to the celebrity decor? Is it less brown and more modern? I haven't seen many pictures of it, but it looks really nice. What is it like sailing on a small ship? I was put off when I heard it has no theatre, but it is encouraging to hear they had Vic Vickers - I was under the impression it had no music and was a 'silent' ship.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

I am not sure to be honest. She is a beautiful ship, very contemporary, stylish and I love the outer decks with rattan, big cushy sofas and lots of interesting outdoor furnishings. The lounges - plenty of live music for sure. We like a good dance club - and think the club lounge of NeoR is as good as, if not better, than clubs on M Class Celebrity. It is DEF not brown lol! There is no big atrium though - and it is indeed very different from our experience on the Costa Magica which I think is very alike to a Carnival ship. Some will love her, others it wont be big enough. There is no theatre - instead there are various acts in the evening in the Grand Lounge, and in the Vienna Lounge. The "disco tango" is a martini bar early evening - turning into more of an Ibiza style club after midnight. (DJ plays to the crowd and not the staff unlike many cruise clubs we have found). The Club restaurant really is very beautiful - and being this was our second cruise on her, we felt it had only got better since our 2012 cruise. The food was on a par with if not better than Celebrity. The pizzaria is a "speciality dining" venue where you can have hand made pizzas from 5pm to midnight for 7 euro (includes as much dessert as you wish). Loved the pizzaria for that 5pm munchie being that we didnt eat dinner until 9pm. The Spa - absolutely stunning - spa passes are available either by the day or week. NeoR is the first "non smoking" ship for Costa. Last year we could smoke inside bars in certain areas. This year - big changes, the ONLY area one can smoke indoors now is the Cigar Lounge. (we quit so was slightly ironic for us!). There are very few kids on board as there are no big kids club facilities. It def geared up for adults.

I love NeoRomantica and 100% sure we will cruise on her again.

Cabins on NeoRomantica were all upgraded. ALL cabins including the most basic inside comes with coffee machine, robes and slippers. The suite we have had twice, is my most favourite cabin ever - its just perfect.

It IS however a small ship - you do need to weigh that up - if buzzers and bells are important to you, NeoR does not have that. Live music - absolutely, and some terrific acts. It certainly wasnt quiet lol! the chocolate bar has a string quartet, or sometimes a guitarist, thats the only "quiet" area as such. The main lounge and the Vienna lounge are always buzzing!

It was a totally different experience for us with Costa than our experience on Magica. But as I say, perhaps not for everyone.

Strangely enough - the least appealing area I think is the "lobby" area. It doesnt blow you away. Its an odd welcome to an otherwise beautiful ship.

Your call I guess - if you do a search on flikr you will find loads of interior pics.;)

There are some good deals come around on the Baltics cruises - think one of them picks up in Dover, maybe worth keeping an eye out for the deal that makes it worth it for you to "give it a try".

Thanks for the great review!!!

I would also like to weigh in here. I was on the Luminosa just over a month ago, Copenhagen to Savona, August 31 to Sept 10. This was our twentieth cruise. I have sailed Costa three times: Fortuna, Fascinosa, and Luminosa.

I would advise readers to completely ignore hyperbolic, uninformed blanket pronouncements, like those by our favorite troll in this forum, who has written in the past:

Costa delivers overall the second worst (or the worst - depends on the ship) product in mega-ship cruising.

The worst part is Costa food.

Some call it Italian or European.

It's neither Italian, nor European. It's poor.

It's well below industry standards.

And earlier:

But food! Awful. Below any cruise line standards.

But food concept - it's simply insulting.

Strangely, this same poster seems on a mission to compromise what little credibility he has, or dreams that he has, by ludicrous, knee-slapping nonsense like this:

If we assess food we have to assess it.

It's a myth that food is subjective. There are a lot of objective criteria to indicate what is what food-wise before we reach the subjective part.

If we cannot assess it - a better way is to say "I like it".

After twenty cruises I can say with certainty that on any cruise line, food can vary from ship to ship and from cruise to cruise. In our subjective opinion, out of all of our cruises the worst food was on the Fortuna; but, the second best food was on the Fascinosa. First place goes to Crystal Symphony, but given the price of Crystal cruises, easily 3+ times more than Costa, it had better be the best. The food on our recent Luminosa cruise ranged from very good to excellent.

I can't wait to cruise on Costa again.

Thanks for the terrific review of Costa Luminosa; I'm heading out on a cruise on Friday and your experience offers wonderful insight.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

That's the end of the review.

If I figure out how to, I may add some pictures

P.s. Ask away if you have any questions!

Thanks Blondie008 for your insights on the NeoRomantica - I had a look at the flicker photos and the ship looks fabulous. It is really stylish and elegant - and a little bit hip! I am very tempted. Thanks for the info about live music, it sounds like decent entertainment is offered despite not having a theatre, it is just more intimate. This is not the impression I got from Costa marketing, I thought it was a silent ship, but clearly its quite lively, but in a more intimate way, which is just what I'm looking for. I love the idea of cabaret shows, that would appeal to me more than big theatre productions. From the flicker pics, I think the public spaces, spa and cabins look absolutely gorgeous and seem to be on a par with Celebrity in terms of offering the 'modern luxury' which appeals to me.

Thanks again for all the information. Although I liked the look of NeoRomantica, I had completely the wrong idea of what it offers in terms of entertainment and bars.

I've had a look at prices and fares looks reasonable, except all the trips are long - 12 days or so, but I will keep a look out for good deals

Thanks again! :)

Thanks for the terrific review of Costa Luminosa; I'm heading out on a cruise on Friday and your experience offers wonderful insight.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Thanks Carolyn - hope you enjoy your cruise on the Luminosa!

Since this was my first cruise and I don't have anything to compare it to, I have probably been more impressed and less critical than more experienced cruisers. For example, they don't offer steak at dinner like other lines do, but I felt what they did offer fitted the price we paid, and was well executed and offered excellent value. The portions were also tiny, although there were 7 courses at dinner so you won't go hungry!

The other thing I forgot to mention in my review was the cleanliness of the ship. We both thought it was very clean and were impressed at how quickly tables in the buffet were cleared. However, my mum was disappointed there was no enforced hand washing on this cruise. She said this is very unlike Royal Caribbean where you are not allowed to enter MDR without dousing your hands in sanitiser. I'd be interested to see what you make of the hygiene situation Carolyn.

It looks like there is the only poster here that provides misleading speculation.

The Deliziosa is a sister ship to the Luminosa - no 1000 more pax.

Costa Luminosa: 2,260 passengers

Costa Fascinosa: 3,780 passengers

Costa Favolosa: 3,780 passengers

Costa Deliziosa: 2,828 passengers

Costa Pacifica: 3,780 passengers

Philip

Hi there!

The future cruise sales rep...Rosalie by any chance.....? :rolleyes:

Lisa xxx

I've got no idea what her name was, she didn't introduce herself. Maybe it was just us, our expectations of how a salesperson should behave. Perhaps it was just a cultural difference but we did find her rather rude.

Archived