Last minute cabins for a family?

usckatieh

My husband and I would love to take a cruise with our two kids in February 2014 but his work schedule is a little up in the air until late December so we were hesitant to book early. I've been watching the ships we want to sail (mostly RCI) but I've noticed the 4 person cabins are tougher to come by than 2 person one. I don't think we can afford a suite, so does anyone have any experience booking a last minute cruise (2 months before or less) for a 4 person interior, window or balcony room? I wasn't sure if those ones would book up first leaving us out of luck or if there might be some left Ieft in the "off season." I'm ok with taking the risk of waiting and not finding the cabin because that's probably our only option at this point- just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this gamble. :)

I do think they book up first. Plus, even if a cabin can fit 4 people, if the ship is close to capacity, they will only put 2 in those cabins. There is a finite number of people a ship can hold, so even if there is room in the cabin, they won't fill it if the numbers are high. We are cruising in 3 weeks, and they will only book 2 in a cabin at this point. You could always get 2 cabins, but I don't know if you will be able to get connecting cabins late in the game.

My husband and I would love to take a cruise with our two kids in February 2014 but his work schedule is a little up in the air until late December so we were hesitant to book early. I've been watching the ships we want to sail (mostly RCI) but I've noticed the 4 person cabins are tougher to come by than 2 person one. I don't think we can afford a suite, so does anyone have any experience booking a last minute cruise (2 months before or less) for a 4 person interior, window or balcony room? I wasn't sure if those ones would book up first leaving us out of luck or if there might be some left Ieft in the "off season." I'm ok with taking the risk of waiting and not finding the cabin because that's probably our only option at this point- just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this gamble. :)

One thing to consider is that on final payment date, there will often be some cancellations on our last cruise, most of the suites were booked; however, a day or so before final payment 3-5 suites suddenly popped up as people canceled before they would incur any penalties. I was not watching the other cabine types, but I imagine that there were some cancellations there too.

To the other point, if you are going during school breaks when there are apt to be more families cruising, the other poster is correct - the ship may be filled but have cabins available. I would say, it does not hurt to look for one of those cancellations, but be prepared with a plan B just in case ;).

i'm looking for a cabin for 4 people (me, my husband and 2 children) on different cruise lines. the thing is that at least balcony or minisuite is ok for us, but not less than that;)

as we want to sail in summer i started to worry about will there be good cabins available on acceptable prices?or should we book right now?:confused:i mean that i like to choose by myself and be sure that there is a choice

If you book now, you will have more choices than if you wait. If the price goes down before final payment, you can call the cruiseline and have the payment adjusted. If you wait until closer to the saildate, you might be able to find a bargain, but not necessarily be able to choose the exact ship and date that you might want.

It depends on the cruise- how popular and what time of year. We just got a great deal on a cruise out of Barcelona for four of us Thanksgiving week in an ocean view, but the cruises out of LA near where I live only have suites available for 4. I am cruising to Barcelona cheaper then from my home port.

Last year the week before Christmas ( an off time) we booked two months out a balcony on Carnival to the Caribbean. We booked in January a cruise during spring break in March a Caribbean cruise on RCCL from New Orleans to the Caribbean in an OV. ( all for 4 of us in a room). Like others suggested be flexible and you should be able to find something.

We always book last minute and have never had a problem. Our last three cruises have been less then 3 weeks in advance and two of the three were 4 person rooms (one inside, two ocean view, two in December, one in February) and we leave in three weeks for our next cruise (husband, myself and two sons) and we only booked it 3 weeks ago.

Good Luck!

Archived