Can Someone Confirm In Room Baby Sitting

jresn02

There is no guarantee of babysitting on HAL ships. Sometimes the ladies at the Front Office will make private arrangements with a guest but it is volunatary on their part and no one should 'count on it'. It depends how busy they are, what else is happening on the ship and many other variables. Speak with Front Desk Staff early in your cruise to be first on their list if they are able to do any babysitting.

Additional Family Services

Holland America Line is dedicated to making your family's cruise vacation memorable and happy for each member of your family. We serve a wide variety of kid-pleasing food, including special sandwiches, tacos, hamburgers, hot dogs and pizza. Baby food, high chairs and booster seats may be requested in advance of boarding. On sea days, babysitting services are available through the Front Office for a small surcharge for children 3 years of age or older. This service is provided by staff on a volunteer basis, and may not always be available. Babysitting service is not offered while the ship is in port, although Club HAL does offer activities for children aged 3-12 between 8:00am and 4:00pm on port days. Special kid-friendly birthday parties can also be arranged with advance notice.

I just wanted to say that the statement by HAL that babysitting services may or may not be available depending on who volunteers is not very family friendly. I can see a case where the parents of a child would like to plan one special dinner in one of the specialty restaurants and would like to arrange for a sitter before making reservations.

We have read many posts about taking well-behaved children to the Pinnacle, and the advice is that sometimes a long involved dinner with young ones is not always a good idea.

The OP is smart to see what her options are before she gets to the ship.

Its a shame that responsible parents can't make arrangements in advance.

It is not guaranteed.

The staff get little time off -- they also have to do laundry, etc. Thus there may be times when no one is available.

And remember -- this is for children 3 and older.

Once you get on the ship, stop by the front office -- they will take your name and cabin number and what night you want the services. They will ask around among the staff and let you know as soon as possible. Don't expect an answer right away.

I just wanted to say that the statement by HAL that babysitting services may or may not be available depending on who volunteers is not very family friendly. I can see a case where the parents of a child would like to plan one special dinner in one of the specialty restaurants and would like to arrange for a sitter before making reservations.

We have read many posts about taking well-behaved children to the Pinnacle, and the advice is that sometimes a long involved dinner with young ones is not always a good idea.

Other lines that offer babysitting do not guarantee it either. Babysitting is not the primary job that the babysitters do.

There's always Club HAL, which starts at 7 pm and runs until midnight.

Agree OP is smart to ask in advance.

I think I would consider other options, i.e., traveling with grand parents and /or another couple with children who might trade off doing babysitting. I would prefer to leave children with someone I know.

Archived