How formal is RCI?

On the Princess board there is a recent post asking the difference in formal dress at dinner between Princess and RCI. In another thread a veteran cruiser states that his opinion is that RCI may give up formal nights entirely within the next two years. Just how formal IS formal dress on RCI, and do you think it is on the way out? Our family is interested in the Mariner or Freedom of the Seas as our next cruise, and we wondered, do we not pack gowns?

Most of the RCI ships still have 2 FORMAL nights for 7 night cruises. You have to consider the source when people speculate what may or may not come in the future. It's their opinion. It is not however, at this point, a fact. RCI formal night is no different than any other formal occasion.

People do seem to be trying to change the definition of formal though....;)

I believe the poster (on Princess board with original question) stated that the dress seemed to be more "go to church" dress, rather than gowns.

Well I don't know about Princess, and I would say that on RCI, only about 10% dress like they are going to church. The other 90% wear gowns, cocktail dresses, dk. suits, or Tux's. I guess whether or not you take gowns, depends on which group you'd like to be in.:) ;)

stoneharborlady,

I always take gowns and I never feel over-dressed on RCI.

Notice you live in Bethel Park. I'm in Churchill. My DH's family live in Baldwin, South Park and Whitehall. Are you anywhere near Gardenville Road???

Cindy ;)

On formal nights I have seen everything from the lowest cut sleek dress, to slacks, skirts, to blown out prom dresses. My wife and I just sit and laugh at some of the things people wear. I hope others are sitting laughing at us also, since laughter is what makes cruises fun ( along with a good helping of alcohol)

I sure hope they don't get rid of formal nights. Those two nights are our favorites. It is so rare to be able to get formally dressed at home....not many occasions for that. I love to see what all the ladies are wearing!!

On my last two RCI seven night cruises, about 40-50% of the gents wore tuxes, then dark suits made up most of the rest. About 70% of the ladies wore long gowns for the two formal nights, followed by short cocktail. I always pack 2 long dresses for RCI cruises.

I for one would be very disappointed if RCI stopped formal nights and find that difficult to believe. The simple fact that their onboard revenue would suffer - those photos from formal nights bring in lots of dollars - would dissuade such a move. Also, the bars seem to be be busier on those two nights than on any other, at least IME.

I personally would not sail with RCI if they discontinued formal nights. It is my favorite part of cruising, dressing for dinner each and every night.

stoneharborlady,

I always take gowns and I never feel over-dressed on RCI.

Notice you live in Bethel Park. I'm in Churchill. My DH's family live in Baldwin, South Park and Whitehall. Are you anywhere near Gardenville Road???

Cindy ;)

Dont know Gardenville Road, I am not too far from South Park Road, and very close to Bethel High School. Nice to meet you!! Hope you will post a review of your Mariner cruise, Karen

Rci has 2 formal nights on their seven day cruises . They are formal , dressy cocktail dresses, gowns, sparkles etc. Men wear a Tux but many more wear a suit or at the very least jacket and dress pants and tie.

, The simple fact that their onboard revenue would suffer - those photos from formal nights bring in lots of dollars - would dissuade such a move. Also, the bars seem to be be busier on those two nights than on any other, at least IME.

/QUOTE]

Bingo. RCI makes a lot of money off of the formal night photos and I for one do not think that they are going to lose that kind of revenue.

Our last cruise was 9 day voyager 1 formal night with 2nd being optional not mandantory. We chose not to dress up the second night. I would say the ship was 50-50 formal vs, informal.

Did it say it was optional in the Compass?

It' been a long time since I've seen any Pittsburgh area people on this board. I live near Clifton Road, off of Irishtown Extension. My husband and I were on the Mariner last year and loved her! We too love dressing up for dinner, my DH loves to wear his tux, and loves to see me in a gown. Last year we did see a lot of evening gowns, especially the first formal night. We had to skip cruising this year so we could fix up our house, but next April we are going on an 11 day Panama Canal Cruise on the Brilliance. I can't wait.

When are you cruising next?

Sherry

Well, I do know Clifton Road!! We also stayed home this year to repave the driveway. Everytime I look at it I think, there goes three cruises!!! It doesnt give you quite the same feeling. We have other plans for next summer, but seriously thinking the Mariner or Freedom for 2007. Would love to know how you like the Mariner. You have a very impressive list of completed cruises. Karen

Our last cruise was on RCI after having cruised Celebrity 2X and Princess. I was really surprised that on the 2nd formal night I was one of the minority in a long dress! I think RCI is getting less formal than it used to be. That being said, I will still take 2 formal outfits next time. I love getting dressed up!

I have been saying for awhile now that the elegance and formality of fine dining on the cruise ships (mostly RCCL) is going to the wayside.

I can see them getting rid of formal nights and just having come as you are in the dining room(they are half way there now). :(

Lets take some posts on this subject with the proverbial grain of salt. Five Celebrity, 4 Royal Caribbean, 4 Carnival, 1 HAL and a few others. I have never seen 50/50 on any line. The least was probably 90% respecting the expected dress standard and 10% not. There are a few that would like to see the refinement of a cruise dumbed down to that of a week at the beach or mountain cabin. These comments are not directed at any one individual.

You should expect that formal nights on Royal Caribbean will be quite dressy. Same for Celebrity (the dressiest), HAL and Carnival.

Lets take some posts on this subject with the proverbial grain of salt. Five Celebrity, 4 Royal Caribbean, 4 Carnival, 1 HAL and a few others. I have never seen 50/50 on any line. The least was probably 90% respecting the expected dress standard and 10% not. There are a few that would like to see the refinement of a cruise dumbed down to that of a week at the beach or mountain cabin. These comments are not directed at any one individual.

You should expect that formal nights on Royal Caribbean will be quite dressy. Same for Celebrity (the dressiest), HAL and Carnival.

Oh, hey, HD. I didn't notice that last post was from you until I replied to the thread. Have you been to the new chat room on AOL? Our old cruise cafe is closed. Email me if you need the new link.

tlbesser@aol.com

This topic is sooooo debated. I just got back from a 9 day cruise to the Caribbean. Maybe it was because it was a Caribbean Cruise in June, but it didn't seem all that Formal to me. I wore a $15.00 "little black dress", and fit in just fine. The other women with us wore black slacks and sparkly tops and fit in just fine also. My FIL wore cut off jean shorts and a T-Shirt and even refused to take off his ball cap, and they never said a word. (I wish they had.) I did see a 70+ year old lady in a sequin dress with sequin flip flops. She actually looked as cute as she thought she did. Others were dressed in tuxes and gowns and looked very nice, while others wore khakis or jeans. Most of the teens/young 20's looked like they were going to a night club. It seemed like we saw everything, but most everyone at least looked "nice".

Maybe if we were going somewhere where it wasn't 102 degrees outside, people would have dressed different.

Not my opinion, just what I saw.

I just finished a Vision cruise in Alaska. I was very surprised at the lack of formal dress on both nights (yes I did go formal.) There were about 25% formal about 50% "Sunday best," 15% casual and about 10% with T-shirts, jeans and caps. And yes, men ate with their caps on!

Considering the age of most of the cruisers was 40's to 70's, I was very, very surprised!

Archived