Has anyone ever had an issue with bringing wine on board?

PunkiC

We have only sailed on Cunard once and were able to board as much wine as we desired.

Is that still the case?

No pun intended. :p

PunkiC

As far as I know - yes. I am shipping some wine for my cruise in January to Southampton beforehand.

I believe that all they're worried about is that the wine is duty paid in the country you embark.

andhow

We have only sailed on Cunard once and were able to board as much wine as we desired. Is that still the case? No pun intended. :p
Within reason ;) , wine/champagne is not an issue. Certainly I've never had anyone mention my bottles when boarding.

Bon Voyage! :)

I had the ame question regarding the wine and looked on the cunard website onl

Y to find that they say one bottle of wine and or champagne if you are celebrating something. If the duty is paid in the country of embarkation surely you are allowed to bring onboard (within reason)a fair amount a day ie one/two bottles per day + some spirits?

Sam

The FAQ states that they've reviewed their policy and now only allow one bottle per person.
That's always been their policy but the FAQ says,

"We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway should the need arise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of guests may otherwise be compromised."

In other words, have at it.

Cunard has gone back and forth over the past few years on this. Initially, it was one bottle of wine or champagne. Then a couple of years ago it went to no limitations (with the provisos "within reason" and "reserve the right") and now it's back to one bottle of wine or champagne. But as previous posters have stated, it generally isn't a problem. I think they'd never get away from the pier if they had to remove all of the exceeded "limits"! Have fun! Oh, and don't forget the mixer!

See, I'm sketchy about this policy because ideally I'd like to bring wine with me. But with four months aboard I'd want to bring more like a case or two. Do you know if they adhere to these same restrictions for full world voyages? Also, if I attempt to bring on wine again say, during our overnight in San Francisco, will they take that away and not return it until 3 months later in Southampton? By then. . . what's the point?

In my experience in carrying on minor amounts at a port of call (wine and spirits) no one has cared.

Note that embarkation screening is performed by port contractors while port-of-call screening is performed by ship's crew, if that might make a difference.

Embarked in NY with 6 de-alcoholized bottles in a canvas tote. (Although nobody would have known that they lacked the octane rating without reading the labels.) No questions. Boarded in Bergan, Norway with two more. No questions. Had they been taken for "safe keeping" Cunard would have kissed 8 corkage fees goodbye.

Seven (or was it eight?) bottles on our last Cunard voyage. Plus a wine box. Plus some liquor. All in plain sight. The biggest issue was finding the scanner with the large opening that could fit the wheelaboard.

Excuse me please for going topic...but Underwatr, how was you retirement cruise?

Archived