Sun Review - October 9th - Southern

sonicbuffalo

DSC_3272_5762.jpg

DSC_3273_5763.jpg

DSC_3275_5765.jpg

*********** PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN VIEWING THE NEXT DOZEN OR SO PICTURES IF YOU HAVE YOUG ONES LOOKING. THERE IS A GLASS ENCLOSED TOMB WITH A FACE AND BODY (CLOTHED, OF COURSE) THAT HAS SKELETONIZED. IT'S ONLY ONE PICTURE, BUT COMING UP SOON *********

DSC_3276_5766.jpg

DSC_3277_5767.jpg

DSC_3278_5768.jpg

I have been told that too.

In fact, on the Claudia Vidal tour, the emerald "museum":rolleyes: tour concluded in a jewelry store where sales vultures were ready to descend on the tourists. I had three of them following me around from show case to showcase...it was quite annoying.

And while I am writing this, let me mention that Claudia is a great guide, but was the tour worth $80? NO WAY. Was it $50? Nope! Could I have seen the same things, perhaps some more on NCL's tour or a different tour.....probably yes, for probably much cheaper.......with Claudia, we did not go inside the Gold Museum or the Inquisition Palace, two of the things I wanted to see more than the jewelry store or the souvenier stores. We saw other tour groups going inside the Gold Museum and Inquisition Palace, but our group just passed by, don't know for sure for what reason, but I heard Claudia say something about some other group being in there so we couldn't.

On a positive note, whatever we saw or missed, it was a nice tour.

Hariett, I so wanted to go touch the statue of good luck as you had mentioned to me......didn't see that either!

Arzeena....We thought about this tour as it was being put together early on, but having been on the same exact tour two years ago for 20.00 pp, we did not think it was a great value to do Claudia's tour for the money it ended up being. This time, we did the same thing off the cuff with a few other people off the ship and we had a wonderful time and saw everything you did for 15.00 pp. This also included the pesky emerald museum and shop. Some may argue safety, but with bona fide tour/taxi services it ends up saving you a pretty penny. To bad you couldn't make sapphire beach with RJ. Hope Risa and I see you around West Windsor.

USVI.....That is probably the difference and I would be more apt to trust buying something there than in Columbia for sure.

And after all of you nice folks here on CC shared tour stories I agree! Thanks!

NICE :)

We often buy leather products as well as silver in Mexico...it's the precious stone purchases that would scare me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

On the Star, April 20. Are you on that one? LA to Miami.

No, but it would have been fun to share the taxi's with you while visiting the ports!

We're doing a b2b leaving Miami January 19th to LA and then from LA Feb. 2nd to Miami.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

DSC_3297_5787.jpg

DSC_3298_5788.jpg

Emerald craftsmen at work in the store and museum

DSC_3299_5789.jpg

DSC_3300_5790.jpg

In this big lump of quartz, there are many chunks of Emeralds. Emeralds are found near quartz.

DSC_3301_5791.jpg

Emeralds found in North Carolina....never knew that they were found here.

DSC_3302_5792.jpg

Claudia's bus....if she doesn't rent it.....wondering....

C

Sonic buffalo,

I have been looking through your pics on photobucket from your link. Great photos!! We are going on this cruise Wednesday (10/30) and greatly appreciate reading your comments and pics! Could you please tell me which beach you went to in pics 215 to 218. It looks like it could be in Curaçao and possibly Mambo Beach?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

DSC_3233_5723.jpg

old town district....

DSC_3234_5724.jpg

DSC_3235_5725.jpg

DSC_3236_5726.jpg

fortress like door....notice the smaller opeing to look out and see who was there

DSC_3237_5727.jpg

the owners lived upstairs while the lower classes lived downstairs

DSC_3238_5728.jpg

look how narrow the streets were...

Claudia said the large doors were opened to let in the horses and carriages and the small doors were just for people to go in and out.

Love your pictures. We will be Visiting Cartagena in Jan 2015 on our PC cruise. We are on the Sun in 35 days.

I have a ship question. Is there a public area for our group to meet toward the front of the ship. I'm organizing the Cabin Crawl and want to start toward the front of the ship and end aft where our suite is so we can host a little party. I noticed in the Free style that the observation deck said quiet area so is that out as a meeting place? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sonic buffalo,

I have been looking through your pics on photobucket from your link. Great photos!! We are going on this cruise Wednesday (10/30) and greatly appreciate reading your comments and pics! Could you please tell me which beach you went to in pics 215 to 218. It looks like it could be in Curaçao and possibly Mambo Beach?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Haven't gotten to Curacao yet in these pictures...and not sure what beach it was...we were just driving by and didn't stop.