Wine at Dinner

Sportsdoc

Will be traveling on the Enchantment in Nov. As we will be leaving the kids at home the hubby and I have purchased the premium drink package. I have spent hours reading the endless posts on the package but just can't seem to find the answer to this one which I am hoping someone can help with...

Previous cruises I have purchased a bottle wine package with dinner which meant that my glass would get topped off through the dinner. Now with the package that we are ordering wine by the glass how is the wait staff with keeping your glass full? I just fear that we order a glass of wine and once the main meal is served I am need of a second glass and will have to wait until desert until that is delivered?

We are by no means big drinkers but do enjoy wine with dinner esp. when the kids are not with us. Plus it is our first adults only vaca in a LONG time so we are planning on enjoying to the fullest! Anyone who has ordered this way and is willing to share tips they would be appreciated!

You may want to consider buying your wine by the bottle. It is a lot cheaper than by the glass and whether you are dining MTD or fixed early/late - you order the wine bottle- pay in full (I usually tip a little more than the automatic gratuity) and the glass will be topped off no matter where you sit. Just give the wine steward your cabin number. Next night- tell the wine steward ( if your table has changed) - your cabin # and your bottle will be served.

With your bottle at your table, they walk past and top off your glass.

Hope this helps!

Debra

You may want to consider buying your wine by the bottle. It is a lot cheaper than by the glass and whether you are dining MTD or fixed early/late - you order the wine bottle- pay in full (I usually tip a little more than the automatic gratuity) and the glass will be topped off no matter where you sit. Just give the wine steward your cabin number. Next night- tell the wine steward ( if your table has changed) - your cabin # and your bottle will be served.

With your bottle at your table, they walk past and top off your glass.

Hope this helps!

Debra

It is my understanding that she already purchased the Premium Drink Package, so wine by the glass doesn't cost her anything extra (ordering a bottle would). That being said, I sort of have the same question about the wine. Is it a problem keeping the wine flowing during dinner (maybe 2 or 3 glasses throughout the meal service)? Do they have more "bar service" people in the MDR now that the drink packages have been implemented?

Tell you server as soon as you sit down that you enjoy wine with your dinner and your expectations are that your glass is never empty. And because you have the premium package your not buying a bottle.

Letting them know your expectations up front will usually provide the desired results.

We just cruised on Adventure in September, and had the premium drinks package. The bar waiter was in charge of bringing our wine in the dining room. Because we usually ate in the same area most nights (we had My Time dining) and liked a particular waiter) the bar waiter was quick to find us every night, and keep our glasses full. He had a great sense of humour and liked to joke with us. His service was top-notch, and he was one of the people we gave extra tips to. I hope you have the same good experience.

Speed of service in the MDR for bar orders in general is going to be dependent on the demands of the bar service in the MDR during dinner. Could be fast, could be slow, depending on how busy the bar waiter is.

I wouldn't expect it to be nearly as fast as refilling from a bottle that is only sitting a few feet away.

I tip the drink guy on the first night in the MDR with cash and tell him/her to please stop by regularly-- now we always sit in the same place at the same time so we have the same server. The other option--since you ordered the premium drink package -- is to order in 2's-- two glasses of wine each (1 as a back up)

Thanks for the responses --- we are not on my time dining so will have same table seating nightly and will just need to make our server aware the first night. I figured the package would have some kinks in the dining room but appreciate others input who have actually experienced!

I tip the drink guy on the first night in the MDR with cash and tell him/her to please stop by regularly-- now we always sit in the same place at the same time so we have the same server. The other option--since you ordered the premium drink package -- is to order in 2's-- two glasses of wine each (1 as a back up)

I thought the drink package only allows a drink every 15 minutes or so. :)

You will not be able to order two glasses of wine at once. You can only order one drink at a time. You may be able to tell the bar server that you will want a second glass later and hope they ring it up/bring it to you at the right time. I have heard that you can get a new beverage every five minutes, but I don't know if that is the exact time or not.

My suggestion would be to grab a glass of wine outside of the MDR before you come in. That way, you can order a glass of wine once you are inside the MDR, and by the time it gets to you, you may be ready for the second glass. For the most part, our bar server in the MDR came by at the beginning of dinner, sometimes (depending on how busy she was) came by in the middle of dinner, and always came by at the end with after dinner drink shots. I'm sure you could ask for another glass of wine at any of those times.

As a previous poster mentioned, it will likely depend on how busy the bartender is during that time. If you are inclined to pre-tip, it may help you out, but the bartender should have a pretty good feel of what you want after the first night, especially if you say something to him/her.

Don't order a bottle of wine if you have the premium package or you will have to pay. Also keep in mind that only house wines are available. I was on Explorer 10/13/13 and for white they only had Chardonnay and for red i think they had a Cab Sauv and a Merlot. I didn't drink any of them. If you are wanting NICE wine, you are not going to get it as part of the premium package regardless of where you are ordering.

Don't order a bottle of wine if you have the premium package or you will have to pay. Also keep in mind that only house wines are available. I was on Explorer 10/13/13 and for white they only had Chardonnay and for red i think they had a Cab Sauv and a Merlot. I didn't drink any of them. If you are wanting NICE wine, you are not going to get it as part of the premium package regardless of where you are ordering.

Truth. I'm primarily a wine drinker. We did the premium package once. Never again.

Unless you befriend you waiter in Portofino, he gave some nice wine. Took care of us two nights in a row. :D

we were on Freedom of the Seas this month and had no problem getting wine refills at dinner. it was a house Beringer - we liked the white zin but we are not wine snobs. seems like first nite in the MDR (we had MTD) they served a second glass when the first was gone but after that our servers refilled glass after glass with generous pours from the bottle. not just the bar server but our food servers were pouring for us as well - no problem getting more. but the tip about letting your wishes known early is best. we had to stop with all the extra wine by the end of the cruise as we were too full for our after dinner cordial! :D

Will be traveling on the Enchantment in Nov. As we will be leaving the kids at home the hubby and I have purchased the premium drink package. I have spent hours reading the endless posts on the package but just can't seem to find the answer to this one which I am hoping someone can help with...

Previous cruises I have purchased a bottle wine package with dinner which meant that my glass would get topped off through the dinner. Now with the package that we are ordering wine by the glass how is the wait staff with keeping your glass full? I just fear that we order a glass of wine and once the main meal is served I am need of a second glass and will have to wait until desert until that is delivered?

We are by no means big drinkers but do enjoy wine with dinner esp. when the kids are not with us. Plus it is our first adults only vaca in a LONG time so we are planning on enjoying to the fullest! Anyone who has ordered this way and is willing to share tips they would be appreciated!

I honestly think this comes down to how good your drinks waiter is! Ours was Jeff on Enchantment in April; he was brilliant! Once he knew our tipple, it was waiting for us at dinner each evening! Some evenings we got through 3 glasses each, as they don't like to see a dry glass! We had the premium drinks package

Archived