Feeling adrift in the silversea world.

joe_90

Hi

I have asked my ta the very same question yesterday. I was prompted to do so because one of 2013 cruisers told me that although it was billed as a GALA dinner formal when they got tothr hotel it was changed to casual.

Very disappointing.

Latest excuse for the non arrival of any docs is that they are still waiting for tour info for the last ports

Very very disappointing

John

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

Hi

I have asked my ta the very same question yesterday. I was prompted to do so because one of 2013 cruisers told me that although it was billed as a GALA dinner formal when they got tothr hotel it was changed to casual.

Very disappointing.

Latest excuse for the non arrival of any docs is that they are still waiting for tour info for the last ports

Very very disappointing

John

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

John, does this mean you still have not heard what visas you require?

Keith

Before reading this thread I had assumed that Silverea would obtain visas for countries visited in transit (as has happened on other lines). This thread has opened concerns and I have been reading with interest to see if it answers the visa query I now have. Unfortunately, no replies yet have covered exactly what I would like to know.

We will be on the Silver Wind from late February 2014, from Cape Town to Accra. I have researched which countries require visas, namely Angola, Sao Tome, Benin, Togo and Cameroon. Ghana, our country of departure from the cruise, seems a bit more complicated as the High Commission website says Commonwealth nationals need an entry permit, which seems to be distinct from a visa, but there is no information on this. The cumulative cost of these visas is quite hefty, considering the amount of time we spend in each country.

Before going ahead and making these visa applications to individual embassies, I decided to contact Silversea for advice - I have had no reply. I therefore asked my TA to do this. A response was obtained fairly quickly from Silversea, but this was not particularly helpful.

I therefore turn to the collective wisdom of this board for help.

Specifically, I would like to know:

1. if Silversea will sort out the visas for those countries which are visited during the course of the cruise;

2. is the cost of such visas included in the cruise fare or Silversea shore excursions (as it is with other cruise lines, such as Regent);

3. will they obtain the visa for the departure country i.e Ghana.

I realise that this is an unusual itinerary and there may not be direct experience but I am sure some CC members will have been on Silversea cruises where a similar situation obtains.

Before I commit the potential mistake of either getting and paying for these visas unnecessarily or the fatal mistake of not getting the visas in advance and being booted off I would greatly appreciate any information.

On my Capetown to Spain cruise 2 years ago, SS arranged visas for everywhere. And our cruise was diverted away from unrest so there was an substituted country I couldn't have planned for. The same was true on my Australia to Hong Kong cruise (although I had to arrange the 'visa', more a tax grab, to enter Australia since I was arriving on my own) and trip through Panama (so many different countries there.)

Sometimes there was a $10 fee charged to my account, other times nothing.

Which reminds me, do I need an Australian visa when arriving by ship during the world cruise? I'm getting off there, so have been planning to arrange my own. Since my son is currently living there, I don't mind spending the $10 and filling in the online form since it is good for a year and if I need to rush back for whatever reason, that's one less thing to worry about.

All these answers have to be tempered by "I'm traveling on an XXXX passport" since each country may be treated differently. While I can understand the SS website not having the answer for people (because there are different rules for different passports), I would expect a direct query with details (cruise number and nationality) to generate clear, detailed, responses. They have a specific department that instructs the ship's crew on how what to do. I know this because of a fight we had with that department over my dh's US work visa during the Panama cruise because we were entering the US from a country other than Canada (which is 'against the rules' - not really but it is more complicated.)

Hi Nicky46

After thinking for 3 days the information re the pre World Cruise 2014 Gala ball is as follows.

19.00hrs reception with drinks and canopies.

20.00hrs 4 course dinner with wine.

The dress code is formal.

Please let me know if you are told different.

Keith

I have a new passport and on Monday begin to get the 2 visa's (india and china) that the ship cannot obtain on arrival.

Hopefully this will take 1 week each.

regards john

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Just an update on the problems.

Visa's have been obtained and the passports back in my hands. Extra passport style photographs as well as photocopies of each and the pages with the visa's sticker, The copies go in the aircraft hold luggage just in case.

On Friday after much delay the BLACK BOX arrived (yes its black for world cruising) stuffed full of all the info re tours joining instructions etc and an invitation to the Gala dinner but again changing the dress code to smart casual.

Back to london office who are insisting its formal. Who should I believe?

If anyone has a clue please post.

On a better note luggage labels for the cases arrived to day and collection is on Friday by fedex super efficient.

regards

John