Booking two cabins under one name?

tripgrl

I recently read in a Breakaway review that the reviewer booked four passengers (including herself) into a suite and then she booked an additional balcony cabin in her name. This allowed all four passengers to receive suite perks but they were actually sleeping two to a cabin. I did not know that this was possible and am wondering if others have been able to book cabins in this manner? Thanks for any input.

In basic terms you book yourself into both cabins . It takes the skills of a booking agent that know what the heck they are doing. ;)

This way all 4 get the perks . So 2 people are the 3 & 4 the in the suite and 1 & 2 in the balcony.

I bet your first call will get you a response of ; That cant be done ..:D

Persevere !!!

Edit: side note , this only works if the suite has a capacity for 4 or more . Some hold 3 .

Edited by mpk218

What type of Suite are you considering for that one part?

If it's something like a PH Suite, then have you considered the difference in price of the arrangement you are considering vs two PH suites (vs one PH suite and one regular balcony)?

If I understand this, the question in this case is whether the cost of the extra balcony cabin plus the extra cost of the 3rd and 4th person in the suite is much more than the cost of an additional suite?

The charge for one person in a balcony (or any category) is often fully the same as if two were staying, but that can vary by cruise line or any specials for singles.

Even if it's a bit more, but not much more, then you'd all be getting the suite perks AND all be enjoying the suite accommodations.

If it's a higher category suite, then the math probably wouldn't be as close.

GeezerCouple

If I remember correctly, the balcony cabin had a connecting door to the suite, so they effectively turned the suite into a 2 bedroom/2bathroom.

Probably the most expensive option would be booking 2 penthouses IMO. Less expensive to book the connecting balcony for the 2nd cabin. And if it is really important that everyone have suite perks, then add 2 to the penthouse as 3rd and 4th passengers and then pay full balcony fare for 2 on top of that, but still less expensive than 2 full suites.

I currently have two of us booked in a SE on the Sun and two of us in an inside. I would have ideally liked a two bedroom suite but those are not offered on the Sun. I could have booked all four of us in the SE but I preferred the extra space that we would have with being in two cabins. I guess it can't hurt to ask my travel agent if it is possible to change the booking but I was curious as to whether others were booking cabins this way?

I currently have two of us booked in a SE on the Sun and two of us in an inside. I would have ideally liked a two bedroom suite but those are not offered on the Sun. I could have booked all four of us in the SE but I preferred the extra space that we would have with being in two cabins. I guess it can't hurt to ask my travel agent if it is possible to change the booking but I was curious as to whether others were booking cabins this way?

We have been in the aft facing SE on the Sun, and it is a wonderful space. Four could even share the space without sacrificing any privacy. Both couples would have access to the bathroom without anyone going through the sleeping quarters of the other, and both can access the balcony from their own area as well. Even if you decide not to book them into your SE, keep in mind you can order breakfast from Il Adagio to be served in your stateroom for them as well.

I doubt too many people have booked themselves into two cabins due to the higher cruise fare. The case you spoke of is the only one I've ever heard of. Ask your TA to price it out with NCL, and then you can determine whether it is worth it to you just for the suite perks for the other 2. It probably would require a cancellation for the other two in the inside, rebooking them into your SE as 3rd and 4th, and then booking yourselves into the inside as well.

Let us know what you decide, and enjoy your SE suite!

Edited by punkincc

It has nothing to do with the skills of a booking agent. You can not make a final payment with the same name of a person in 2 separate cabins. I currently have a reservation on the Breakaway booked for Aug 2014 with an Aft Penthouse suite and a balcony and all people will get suite privileges.

I needed a room that fits 7 people. 2 adults, 5 kids. The Aft Penthouse Suite holds 4, the balcony holds 3. The balcony room is linked to my reservation with the aft penthouse. On the balcony reservation confirmation only 3 children are on the confirmation. The adults are on the penthouse reservation. I booked directly through NCL with my PCC and this is the only way a balcony will get suite perks. No adults can be listed on the balcony reservation. It must be linked to a suite reservation with adults on the suite reservation.

It has nothing to do with the skills of a booking agent. You can not make a final payment with the same name of a person in 2 separate cabins. I currently have a reservation on the Breakaway booked for Aug 2014 with an Aft Penthouse suite and a balcony and all people will get suite privileges.

I needed a room that fits 7 people. 2 adults, 5 kids. The Aft Penthouse Suite holds 4, the balcony holds 3. The balcony room is linked to my reservation with the aft penthouse. On the balcony reservation confirmation only 3 children are on the confirmation. The adults are on the penthouse reservation. I booked directly through NCL with my PCC and this is the only way a balcony will get suite perks. No adults can be listed on the balcony reservation. It must be linked to a suite reservation with adults on the suite reservation.

Well since I am sure NCL did not let Nalagh cruise free - she definitely made final payment with her name listed on both the S6 suite and on the BD balcony that connects to it. She was the only one listed in the BD (although both of her parents slept in it)....all 4 of them were listed in the S6.

Edited by peg013

No adults can be listed on the balcony reservation. It must be linked to a suite reservation with adults on the suite reservation.

Just curious, I thought at least one adult (over 21) had to be in a cabin? I ask because I booked two cabins for my family of 4. NCL said they had to put me on one res with one child and my husband on the second with the other child. On RCL, they allowed two children on same res if they were next door, NCL wouldn't do that for us.

I have seen this before and here is the answer I have seen.

You can book 2 cabins, however, at the time of the final payment you must choose 1, you can not final pay for both. This prevents non suite members from getting those amenities.

This doesn't quite make sense if there are 4 passengers, for example, and ALL 4 OF THEM are paying as 4 in a Suite. ALL of them are paying for full suite privileges, right?

Then, in addition, one of them ALSO pays (full!) for a non-suite accommodation (connecting or not).

And two of the four passengers sleep in the suite, and two sleep in the non-suite.

Under this scenario, all four ARE paying for fully disclosed occupancy of the suite and SHOULD get full suite privileges. And then they (as a group) are paying even *more* to get the extra separate sleeping space, and another bathroom, by having one of them book an additional cabin.

4 passengers pay for suite accommodations/perks; 4 passengers get suite accommodations/perks.

This is not the same as others who have argued that they should be allowed to have some non-suite guests "join them", when those others are NOT paying for a suite, anywhere.

IF they had 4 paying for the NO-suite accommodations, and only 2 paying for the suite accommodations, then *that* would be the problem (as has been suggested/requested by others, elsewhere).

That's how this seems to me, anyway.

GeezerCouple

I have tried to do this and was told it could not be done. We were booked in an OS that slept 4 but two had to sleep on the couch. My parents were traveling with us. I wanted to pay for all 4 of us in the OS to get the perks but book an inside for them to sleep in. Paying the 3rd and 4th person rate and the rate for 2 for an inside was cheaper than booking the cheapest suite. My PCC said there was no way that could be done. A person could only be booked in one room. I would love to hear if someone has actually traveled with these arrangements and if they booked directly through NCL.

Just curious, I thought at least one adult (over 21) had to be in a cabin? I ask because I booked two cabins for my family of 4. NCL said they had to put me on one res with one child and my husband on the second with the other child. On RCL, they allowed two children on same res if they were next door, NCL wouldn't do that for us.

Yes that is true. But not when the cabins have a door between them (connecting rooms).

Also if they are your kids (not your kids friends) and they are over a certain age it is ok.

Edited by rhinomike

I'm a little confused about this. Are all 7 passengers entitled to suite perks because the children are minors?

I'm a little confused about this. Are all 7 passengers entitled to suite perks because the children are minors?

Yes, that's why only the children are listed on the balcony reservation. All the children are minors. All are under 12. The balcony reservation is linked to my suite reservation.

And that is why you need a PCC that Knows what they are doing . I guarantee you , if you call the NCL phone number and ask to book this configuration they will say it can not be done . That and it has nothing to do with kids only in one of the cabins. You need someone who has the authority to override the system parameters. To the original question . You have 4 passengers but are paying for 6 .

Plus the " rule" about not having the same name on more than one cabin is false . If i were so inclined I could book an entire deck of rooms with just my name .As long as the names of those staying in each are also listed.

In the end this what matters $$$$$$$$$ .

In basic terms you book yourself into both cabins . It takes the skills of a booking agent that know what the heck they are doing. ;)

This way all 4 get the perks . So 2 people are the 3 & 4 the in the suite and 1 & 2 in the balcony.

I bet your first call will get you a response of ; That cant be done ..:D

Persevere !!!

Edit: side note , this only works if the suite has a capacity for 4 or more . Some hold 3 .

You only need to book one in the balcony.....that way you at least save the extra taxes and fees. No one cares if 2 sleep it in.

And that is why you need a PCC that Knows what they are doing . I guarantee you , if you call the NCL phone number and ask to book this configuration they will say it can not be done . That and it has nothing to do with kids only in one of the cabins. You need someone who has the authority to override the system parameters. To the original question . You have 4 passengers but are paying for 6 .

Plus the " rule" about not having the same name on more than one cabin is false . If i were so inclined I could book an entire deck of rooms with just my name .As long as the names of those staying in each are also listed.

Neat idea, but I'd go for both Garden Villas (if they existed on the ship in question) instead of an entire regular deck.

That second Garden Villa would make a rather nice dressing "room", don't you think? :)

And thanks - you phrased it better, about "4 passengers paying for 6" [which is *very* different from "6 passengers paying for 4"!], including the important part that "all 4 ARE paying for a suite". No one in that case is trying to get inappropriate suite perks.

They are paying MORE than is needed for all 4 to get suite perks, and for that money... they get additional non-suite sleeping space.

I was just wondering if the extra suite cost for the 3rd and 4th passenger PLUS the full cost of the second cabin would be close to the cost of the smallest suite. Then everyone gets suite perks - same as before - AND everyone gets to have suite sleeping/bathroom/space accommodations. (I haven't tried doing the online math. The NCL website is a bit clunky.)

GeezerCouple

I have tried to do this and was told it could not be done. We were booked in an OS that slept 4 but two had to sleep on the couch. My parents were traveling with us. I wanted to pay for all 4 of us in the OS to get the perks but book an inside for them to sleep in. Paying the 3rd and 4th person rate and the rate for 2 for an inside was cheaper than booking the cheapest suite. My PCC said there was no way that could be done. A person could only be booked in one room. I would love to hear if someone has actually traveled with these arrangements and if they booked directly through NCL.

They have. CC member Nalagh was successful in doing so, and the thread where she details how it was done is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860010&highlight=suite+balcony+booked

They have. CC member Nalagh was successful in doing so, and the thread where she details how it was done is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860010&highlight=suite+balcony+booked

One important difference for Nalagh is that her ship did NOT have connecting suites that she could have used.

So I still wonder if when there IS that option, does one save enough on not having to pay the 3rd and 4th passenger cost on the suite to cover the difference in cost between the extra non-suite cabin booked as the "extra room" compared with booking a second suite?

The only real difference in terms of the original purpose is that then the two who sleep in that "extra room" have a nicer room (a second suite).

If the costs are the same (or differ very little), this could make a lot of sense.... WHEN there actually are connecting suites available.

If the cost differential is a lot, then the "everyone paid in one suite, plus a second non-suite" serves the purpose best.

Clever! :)

And for those who worry that "too many extra suite passengers are now included" (thus crowding some suite perks like lunch/dinner seating), that's not a concern in the current situation.

The 4 passengers FIT in one suite. No "extra" suite passengers are being "created" beyond the regular ship capacity.

GeezerCouple

I just read a comment on the Nalagh thread about someone thinking it didn't make sense to pay for more than the number of people actually included.

This situation (paying the price for 6, but with only 4 actual passengers) really is the same for anyone paying for accommodations that aren't the very least expensive.

Two passengers in an Owner's Suite are actually paying the same as quite a few passengers in inside cabins, or ocean view cabins, etc.

The same happens most of the time when someone is a single in a suite (or other category cabin). The cost is usually - not always - just about the same as if there had been two people sharing.

Pay more, get more.

In this case the goal isn't to "pay more to get a balcony" for example, but to "pay more for the suite perks" - and for everyone.

And no one is getting "free" suite perks.

Perfect ;-)

By the way, did Nalagh sail yet? How did it work out in reality? Did NCL handle everything the way intended when they showed up at the dock?

GeezerCouple

No that is right, the policy is someone over 21 has to be booked into the cabin - we do it then swap onboard and guest relations give extra keys

to the OP - I'd like to know how they did that - the cruise line will catch on and stop it - all because someone advertises on here how to do it

Ncl do read these