Cancellations and Insurance Questions

charlielinda

Right now I should be on the Eclipse for 13 wonderful days but we had to cancel due to last minute medical situations. I am waiting for the paperwork to start the process. I do have two specific questions. (1) We booked our air with Celebrity and it was non-refundable. Will the insurance cover any of the air fare? (2) We paid for an upgrade to a CS for $800 the week before the trip. Will that be covered by the insurance? Thanks for your assistance.

Right now I should be on the Eclipse for 13 wonderful days but we had to cancel due to last minute medical situations. I am waiting for the paperwork to start the process. I do have two specific questions. (1) We booked our air with Celebrity and it was non-refundable. Will the insurance cover any of the air fare? (2) We paid for an upgrade to a CS for $800 the week before the trip. Will that be covered by the insurance? Thanks for your assistance.

The answers to those questions really depend on the things covered under your particular Insurance Policy, its hard to say....Have you asked your Travel Insurance Carrier?

Usually a trip is covered for "X" amount. And when that amount goes up, the cost of the insurance to cover it goes up. I always insure independently, but if you have your policy information call the 800 number of the actual insurance company (unless Celebrity is doing the actual insuring).

One of the reasons people don't recommend purchasing the cruise lines insurance is because they usually don't cover as much as a third party company. We've discovered that if you booked your flights independently, that is, if you didn't use Ceebrity's air program, their insurance won't reimburse you. The whole airfare issue is one of the reasons we won't purchase Celebrity's insurance because we always book our own flights.

The 3 times I've used Celebrity's insurance to cancel we have also used FF tickets, but each and every time they have reimbursed the cost to redeposit the miles back into the FF accounts (which these days can cost several hundred dollars). I don't have personal experience, but I don't see why they would not cover any airfare you purchased privately or even through Celebrity. We have gotten back every penny that we spent that was not refundable.

The other benefit we've found, was that in one of those instances our reason was not on their "covered" list (would not have been on ANY insurance company's covered list - our cat got sick and we could not leave her), yet we got the 75% back to use on a future cruise. I've never seen another insurance policy that does that.

The bottom line is you need to read your entire policy for definitions and inclusions/exclusions. Is your medical situation a preexisting condition? Is your type of medical situation covered? Only your policy can give you answers. Good luck.

Archived