Visiting the Great Barrier Reef

Hello all. My wife and I will be cruising from Sydney in April 2014. We plan on staying in Sydney a few days before the cruise and would like to get a tour to the Great Barrier Reef. Can anyone provide me advice on tours to the Great Barrier Reef?

If you are initially flying into Sydney from the US you will need at least three days absolute minimum to go to the Barrier Reef, ie best part of one day to fly to say, Cairns, one day for the reef trip and another to fly back to Sydney, so if you have only got a few days before the cruise unfortunately you will not see much else.

The Great Barrier Reef is amazing! If you can spare the time fly into Sydney & then fly Jetstar to Hamilton island. Spend at least 4 nights there and fly back to Sydney a day or two before your cruise.

Sleeping off jet lag on a lounge on the beach or beside the pool on Hamilton island would do you wonders.

From Hamilton island you can do day trips. Don't miss the trip to chalkies & Whithaven beach.

Hello all. My wife and I will be cruising from Sydney in April 2014. We plan on staying in Sydney a few days before the cruise and would like to get a tour to the Great Barrier Reef. Can anyone provide me advice on tours to the Great Barrier Reef?

Sydney to Cairns is a 3 hour flight, so as some have mentioned you will need at least a few days for this trip. Most hotels can organise a reef tour for you once you arrive. I recommend an outer reef tour which is an all day event and normally includes lunch with opportunities to snorkle, to access a glass bottom boat, and an underwater viewing chamber on a large pontoon.:D

The outter reef at the Barrier is amazing I cannot swim and am frghtened of water but got in and floated around with the fish nibbling my toes amazing time Excellent food and the trip was fast as they used a speed catamaran Quick Silver are the people to use.

The outter reef at the Barrier is amazing I cannot swim and am frghtened of water but got in and floated around with the fish nibbling my toes amazing time Excellent food and the trip was fast as they used a speed catamaran Quick Silver are the people to use.

Good on you for expanding you horizon and getting wet. The reef is amazing. The Cat was a good size (can fit 200 people plus) and did go at 45 knots per hour:D.

Good on you for expanding you horizon and getting wet. The reef is amazing. The Cat was a good size (can fit 200 people plus) and did go at 45 knots per hour:D.

I did have a great time and the following day we went white water rafting on the Tulley with Raging Thunder. DH had not explained what was the experience and when I asked the guide/coach to put me where I would not get wet he laughed. I had a fantastic time after the first fright and thrill I did fall in but was immediately pulled out as I also did to the little Japanese lady behind me in the boat. I would do that again - I still cannot swim!!

PS I also walked on the sea floor in Bora Bora with the glass helmet on and this was the nearest I will ever get to snorkeling.

I did not know what I have been missing all my life.:D

I did have a great time and the following day we went white water rafting on the Tulley with Raging Thunder. DH had not explained what was the experience and when I asked the guide/coach to put me where I would not get wet he laughed. I had a fantastic time after the first fright and thrill I did fall in but was immediately pulled out as I also did to the little Japanese lady behind me in the boat. I would do that again - I still cannot swim!!

PS I also walked on the sea floor in Bora Bora with the glass helmet on and this was the nearest I will ever get to snorkeling.

I did not know what I have been missing all my life.:D

Great experiences for you that will remain in your memory forever.

Sounds like you need to learn to swim so that you can have even greater adventures.:D

Great experiences for you that will remain in your memory forever.

Sounds like you need to learn to swim so that you can have even greater adventures.:D

About 71 years ago my brother threw me into the sea when we were evacuated and I have never got over my fear of deep water and getting my face wet. Too late now

Hi Mic,

Have you done this tour from Port Douglas? DH and I are going to try again to do the Radiance Top and Bottom cruises in 2015 but the closest we get to the Reef is Arlie Beach or Darwin. The tour looks great.

Hi Mic,

Have you done this tour from Port Douglas? DH and I are going to try again to do the Radiance Top and Bottom cruises in 2015 but the closest we get to the Reef is Arlie Beach or Darwin. The tour looks great.

Hi Nancy,

We did ours out of Airlie Beach (ship's tour) with a pick up direct from the ship but it is essentially a Quicksilver tour.:D

Hi Nancy,

We did ours out of Airlie Beach (ship's tour) with a pick up direct from the ship but it is essentially a Quicksilver tour.:D

Thanks, MIc. Good to know the ship's tour is the way to go out of Arlie Beach rather then a private tour. I think we may just do that.

Thanks, MIc. Good to know the ship's tour is the way to go out of Arlie Beach rather then a private tour. I think we may just do that.

We were on the Solstice and it was slightly more than if organised privately but the convenience and the safeguards that came with the ship's tour make it worth the price.:D Enjoy.:D