Best Scuba Diving: Oahu or Maui?

cawhite

A question for you divers... if you had to pick just one spot for a dive, would it be Oahu or Maui?

Our family of 4 will be doing a last minute land vacation in mid to late August to either Oahu or Maui. Thought I'd pose this on Cruise Critic even though it's not for a cruise, as I know some good dive experts read these posts (we do plan to do more diving from cruises in the future... just not this trip).

DH and DD were dive certified in March. DD dove in Cozumel on our April cruise, but DH hasn't since his certification (he wasn't on the cruise).

Now, I KNOW the Big Island is really the best island for diving, including Kealakekua Bay and the evening manta ray dive (we could still go there, but the kids haven't seen much of Oahu or Maui, so thought we'd go there). Which has better diving between Oahu and Maui?

On Oahu, I assume somewhere near Shark's Cove is best? What about Hanauma Bay... too overrun with snorkelers for diving?

What about Maui? I know the back wall of Molikini is supposed to be the best... but that's for more advanced divers. What is the best spot there for newbie divers?

If you could only select one dive location, would it be Oahu or Maui?

Thanks everyone!!!

My vote of the two would be Maui. There are some Marine Parks at the southern end of the island that make for some excellent diving if you don't want to try Molokini. Your right about the Big Island and the night Manta Ray dive...it's awesome. We didn't take our dive camera that trip, but we did have a DVD made....once I figure out how to edit it, I'm going to try to post some of it.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Thanks Budaman!

So on the S. end of Maui, are you speaking of La Perouse Bay / Ahihi-Kina'u Reserve area? As far as Molokini goes, do you think beginners can go there? I've heard the back (best) side is for "advanced" divers.

Just out of curiosity, how did Maui compare with the Big Island for diving? If it's totally a no brainer, gotta do BI instead, we could go there instead.

Thanks.

Carole

That would be the area....you won't run into many boats there, maybe a few kayaks and snorkelers. Molokina is divable for the beginner but I would stay in the crater area, the outer edges are supposed to be the least user friendly. Only problem with Molokini is that everyone & his brother are there. One thing about the BI that will strike you first is the absence of much coral. There is still too much volcanic activity there I guess. The benefit though is that the fish stand out so much better. Tough call as to which one is better except when it comes to the night Manta dive. Now if you were going in Dec/Jan, the whales running off Maui might change the order. I haven't dived at that time, but my wife has and she said the sound of the whales singing underwater is amazing.

If you're going to do the Maui marine park, you might want to get a private divemaster to take you down there and do shore dives.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

If I had to choose between Oahu and Maui for diving, I'd pick Maui too. From what I have read, it has the better diving of the 2 and in Oahu, I'd want to go to the Arizona memorial anyway.

As far as Molokini goes, do you think beginners can go there?
Sure, as long as you stay inside the crater. That is also where the snorkeling trips go, so you know it has to be fairly mild.

I've heard the back (best) side is for "advanced" divers.
That is what I have heard too. I think that it is considered advance because it is a wall dive with a very deep bottom. Also, it is exposed to the open ocean which can have an effect on the diving conditions. If you are in doubt as to your ability to make an "advanced" dive, you probably should stick to the intermediate dives until you have had some more diving experience. Just having an AOW card doesn't make a diver "advanced".

Just out of curiosity, how did Maui compare with the Big Island for diving? If it's totally a no brainer, gotta do BI instead, we could go there instead.
Also, from what I have read, the BI on the Kona side is supposed to have the better diving in Hawaii, but I have only been to the BI, so I can't compare from first hand experience.

I vote for Maui, but I haven't been diving on Oahu, so I'm definitely not an expert on the two choices. On Maui, take a charter either to Molokini crater or to Lanai and dive the Cathedrals. The backwall is considered a more advanced dive that requires good bouyancy control due to it's depth, but the inner crater dives are definitely easy and good for divers of all levels.

The way I look at it, there's no wrong choice here.....you'll be in Hawaii and wet!! Have a great time!

WOW!!! Your pictures were awesome makes me want to fly out tomorrow for Maui. I guess we will have to wait another year as we have booked our share of travel already this year...3 cruises. I would vote for Maui as it is so diverse and so many areas to snorkel or dive and most you can get to yourself. Check out Snorkel Bob's website for maps and further information. He is so knowledgeable and closer to your arrival time he has updates on current condition. Have a great time.

If you are going to dive Oahu you will want to dive the North Shore. All the diving up there is beach diving, no boats. There are a lot of swim throughs in the lava formations, turtles, endemic fish, and lobsters. When I dove the south shore the vis wasn't very good and the bottom was sandy with very small coral formations.

I only dove twice on Maui. My wife and I wanted to dive more but we also wanted to go to Hana and Haleakala. Both will take you above the acceptable altitude for post dives and we needed to watch our no fly times. The vis in Maui was exceptional. Again we did not see any large coral heads. Basically a flat landscape. Molokini is crowded, but it also is enjoyable. Usually the boats have snorkelers and Scuba divers on board and it is a real party atmosphere.

Archived