Members Speak Out: London - Will You Still Go?

LauraS

My wife just finished a three hour phone call to her sister in the UK. It appears we are more concerned than they are.

We also loved the pubs-the food was louzy- pretty flat tasting-

You must have eaten in the wrong pubs, and Stratford isn't a "village".

Hi All. I am British living in the suburbs of London and I am so glad to hear that you are not being put off by these terrorists. We cant let these people dictate the way we lead our lives. Well done everybody.

We leave next Friday and are spending the weekend in London. We decided that since all the 'events' have happened during weekday rush hours, that the weekend may be a safer choice. Since it will be hard to see everything we want to see in 2 days, we'll be back.

It looks like I'll have to learn a lot more french to survive the additional days in Paris.;)

we just returned from italy and had a great trip on the galaxy--considering present problems we cancelled a trip from amsterdam next june-and are waiting to research a different trip in the summer--we rebooked on panama canal on celebrity for xmas week and will wait before committing to europe next summer---

We returned from London, sailing out of Harwich, on July 2. We were on RCCL Jewel of the Seas to the British Isles. We were a group of 15 couples and I am sure no one would have cancelled if the terrorist attacks were before our cruise. It was a wonderful trip!!

I would still go to London and feel perfectly safe. Even more so now, with everyone on guard.

Just now read another story of a big hotel bombing in Egypt with no Americans in attendance.

Sounds like these terrorists just like to blow things and people up, including themselves.

John

Not scheduled to go until July, 2006 --- but if it were tomorrow - you bet we would go. If they had their way we would never go to London, never go to New York, never go to Spain, never go to Egypt and of course never take an airplane, train, subway, or bus. I can not spend my life living in fear, so I will go when and where I wish. I live to travel and meet new people and see new things.......

Terrorirsts want to instill terror in people - they want to be noticed. Personally, I believe if you let fear of an attack win out when you want to travel, then your letting them win. I bet the odds are higher that people die in car crashes everyday then the amount of people who die in terrorist attacks. You can't live your life sheltered because your not really living a life at all.

Anyway, just my opinion. We actually booked a trip to Vegas after 9/11, and that city was supposedly the next to have problems and was on "high alert." The media plays things up and spreads panic, which does not help things either. It was disappointing to see how many travelers changed their plans. They only ended up hurting their own economy.

I figure I am in HARMS WAY everytime I walk out the door and get into my car. Everyone has to do what they see best, but I would still head to London in a heart beat.

My nephew lives in N.Y. and on 9-10 he was on the observation deck on top of the twin towers. The next morning 9-11, he was looking out of his window and saw the second plane hit. Just not his time.

I was supposed to go to London the end of August with my dh. I was going to prowl around a week while he worked. Now my dd (12) has become distraught over my going so I'm having to rethink my going at this time.

I have not sailed to or from a port in Britain - two nervous about weather in the channel (I like it smoooooth...). But I will say this - yes, I will return to London. I try to go annually and now that Ruthie Henshall is back on stage, I am planning a trip right now. For me, the West End is the center of culture for the English language - which makes it for me the center of the universe - at least in this life. No one will deny me of that - it would be the same as denying me of life...only worse, because it would mean I had given in to fear.

Besides, with the statesman-like strength and dignity that Blair showed, we have to stand up with that man. He took some heat in the last election (rightly so) over being too much of a lap-dog. But he has proven himself in these moments of crisis and embodied the courage of the British people in the recent days and weeks. I just wish we could orchestrate an overseas exchange program: we get the UK's leadership and they get ours.

I do not have a trip to London planned at the moment but wouldn't hestate going if I had the chance. When September 11th happened I had booked a flight to Texas the night before, I didn't cancel...had a great trip and CUTE National Guard in the airport helped big time!!!!! :D

We have a cruise in May 2006 leaving from Southampton and of course we have absolutely no intention of cancelling. I love London, been there many, many times. Nothing will stop us from going. Planning on a wonderful cruise.

I love London and the UK. Have friends who live near York so visit often. I refuse to be controlled by these people. I will continue to travel abroad, visit friends and enjoy the sights of the world. I will just use common sense and keep my eyes open.

We leave for London on 8/3 as a pre-cruise port and never had any reservations about going even with the 7/7 and 7/21 events. Like TrentS said, "If we don't go, THEY win!!!" We also refuse to let them win!!

BON VOYAGE!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a 3-night stay at London and then a 12-day Baltics cruise on the Jewel of the Seas (8/7 sailing). We rode the Tube everywhere and enjoyed the city. Bobbies were everywhere (and I'm sure there were many more undercover) and saw them stopping people and asking for ID at points. We never considered cancelling our London excursion and are sure glad that we didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

It is great to read all the support for all of us in the UK.

Think about it, what are the Terrorists aims? disruption of every day life, & to bring fear.

I am traveling to NY in Feb 06 & spending a few days in the city before my cruise, there is no way in the world that I would let these "people" achive their aims. What if we did stop our travels & let them influence our lives? We would lose more than a vacation, surely we would have lost our freedom. A freedom that has been won by others, who experienced fear, terror, loss of commrades & some gave there lives for this freedom, why should we give it away cheaply?

I will still travel, but as other have said I will be more vigillant.

I will even leave my room while I am in NY , (you wouldn't, if you believed the way NY is portrayed in the movies.)

I am sure that I will have the time of MY life when I am in the U.S.A.

• 2 weeks later...

Like someone said : all attacks, on New York , Madrod and London were unexpected. Therefore any future attack will also be unexpected.

So only way to to be absolutely safe is not to travel anywhere, even though it also not 100% safe becose your or my hometown can be attacked.

Is that solution? World should stop spinning around?

I am sure that's what's terrorists would like.

I say let it NOT be.

All I know I am taking my next cruise as ussual

Happy cruising people :D :D :D

Archived