Compassion for Filipino Crew This Weekend

evandbob

I too am thinking of all the lovely Filipinos we have met on Celebrity ships.

I cannot comprehend how they can possibly do a days work during this dreadful time. They really have no possibility of being able to contact their parents, spouses children, relatives and friends back in the affected areas of the Philipines to find out if they are even alive as the communications systems are disabled in the devastated areas. Even if people in the destroyed areas still had a mobile phone/computer that wasn't water damaged (useless anyway as they have no power to charge devices), very few staff are "off duty" whenever the ship is in port (or have permission to go ashore) so they wouldn't even get to internet cafés (which would be swamped by users anyway).

And theirs is not like another job where you'd say ...."I'm taking a few days off work now for an emergency at home.....".

So they have to continue with their exhaustingly long working hours, 7 days a week and bear this awful stress and worry. While people around them vacation. A living hell for them.

I wonder what Celebrity are doing for them ?.

I suspect that Celebrity is showing compassion to their employees who are affected and their families. Told this story before, but believe it's relevant here. I was on Solstice when it was the first ship to arrive in Haiti following the earthquake. Disembarkation was delayed so that Celebrity could deliver many palates of supplies. Saw some Haitians board the ship and later learned that they were relatives of crew. Celebrity reunited the families and assured them of help. Upon my return I attended the weekly Rotary Club meeting in Boca Raton. There was a representative of Shelter box USA who told me that the first call they received was from Celebrity. Celebrity offered to deliver the boxes without charge. I have never read a story from Celebrity or any other source indicting the aid.

CNN just ran a story on Shelter Box, USA and you might want to check them out.The founder is a Rotarian who was honored by CNN as a Hero. Rotary International is a major supporter of Shelter Box.

Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. I am getting ready for our upcoming cruise in Italy in a few days. When watching the news, seeing all the devastation in the Phillippines, it's heartbreaking for what the families are going thru. As I embark on the Celebrity Silhoutte, I will keep the crew in my thoughts and prayers. We will let them know we are thinking of them and appreciate all their hard work they do for the passengers.

Host Andy has put up a new thread with a Press Release from RCL / Celebrity - re their cruise staff & RCL's contribution to the relief effort in the Philippines. Good to see something from them.

But it is surprising that this thread got so little input, whereas threads on ..... VIP Info - 6,473 views; Vouchers - 6,478 views; Web Issues - 9,511 views; Compensation - 16,759 views......

Host Andy has put up a new thread with a Press Release from RCL / Celebrity - re their cruise staff & RCL's contribution to the relief effort in the Philippines. Good to see something from them.

But it is surprising that this thread got so little input, whereas threads on ..... VIP Info - 6,473 views; Vouchers - 6,478 views; Web Issues - 9,511 views; Compensation - 16,759 views......

I once started a thread on Remembering 9-11 and made A similar observation. Boy was I flamed! Let people draw their own conclusions, but I'd like to support your observation.

Hi,

I wouldn't be too surprised or bothered by this observation, or consider it a negative reflection of the many, many good people's character on here...Understand that on a mostly anonymous travel site like this, it is often easier to comment on trivial, relatively minor in importance (in the grand scheme of life) matters, than it is to reflect on subjects of such dire circumstances...as this typhoon has proven to be. Consider also, that most folks, although they are aware of many Filipino crew onboard Celebrity (and other ships), probably had no idea of the fact contained in the press release...that Filipinos represent the largest group of crew members in the RCCL family.

Having grown up and lived through dozens of typhoons in the Philippines, I know firsthand the devastation that even a minor storm can cause...let alone one of such epic strength and vastness.

Many folks don't realize how primitive and basic much the housing infrastructure is in the PI...But many also don't know firsthand of the resilient and positive attitude of the Filipino people...of their deep faith...and in their ability to overcome and rebuild...even in light of the many obstacles that certainly lay ahead.

We certainly keep them in our thoughts and prayers...and hope we all reflect on those who have lost their lives; lost loved ones; lost homes; lost livelihoods; lost everything...and we hope we all do what we can to help out in some way...if only just in well wishes and prayers.

Be positive

Woody

This tragedy hits home here with us: our grandson's fiancé is from the Philippines and she and her mom are worried sick. They have not had any communication with family (grandmother, aunts) on the island. Looking at all the pictures on TV is awful.

We are all supporting them with prayers,, and if they need anything we will surely help with that.

Also, on the Summit a few years ago, we had Rikki as butler from the Philippines. Anyone know if he is still with X? Rikki told us not to miss the crew talent show, as one of the waiters from PI will sing: he sang the most beautiful rendition of "The Lords Prayer". He got a standing ovation.

Edited by gracecarmo

Whilst not so many people are posting here, I hope many, many more are making donations to the charities who are trying to help.

Whilst not so many people are posting here, I hope many, many more are making donations to the charities who are trying to help.

So encouraging to hear through Host Andy that RCCL/Celebrity is doing the right thing to help out in these dire circumstances. The aerial views of the devastation are heart-breaking. During 9/11, I had family and friends at Ground Zero twenty five miles away. I know how hard it was to contact them, I can only imagine what goes through someone's mind where the tragedy is half way around the globe. Thanks, Host Andy, thanks to RCCL/Celebrity, and thanks to the cruisers who will help those in need.