A Frightful Time on The Breeze! Halloween Cruise 2013

vamartha

PA314678-M.jpg

On the right with us is Stuart, he's one of the owners of Aruba Bob's. He'll take care of your $ and your reservation and send you the most beautiful pics in the world when your done! On the left is Mike, our tour guide and your photographer for the day. Sadly, he was on load to Aruba Bob from his own business in Florida but if you want a guaranteed good time in the old USA, look Mike up at his company http://www.dive360extreme.com/

PA314681-M.jpg

When we came back ashore, Stuart and the other couple had beaten us back and we got out of our gear, went back to Aruba Bob’s to settle our bill and then they took us back to town! We had them drop us off at the Harley dealer so we could pick up a Tshirt and then we took off on our own second self guided tour of Larimar and picked up a few more pieces. We stopped off for drinks at an upstairs bar and found this guy who seemed to have had a few too many!

P1030658-M.jpg

And this totally cracked me up too - an advertisement for the Great Smoky Mountains, right there on the sidewalk in Aruba - I was rolling on the ground!

P1030648-M.jpg

We visited a supermarket and picked up a few Monsters (they only have Rockstar Energy Drinks onboard, both in your mini bar and available at the Coffee Shop too) and a munchie or two. At one time I looked up and we were in front of a Harry Winston store – I knew I was out of my league – get me back to the stores I’m allowed to shop in! Aruba actually has affordable shopping in most of its stores, I found the prices to be decent but I’m not a professional shopper so maybe I’m a bit out of touch! Far too early it was time to head back to the ship and it was about this time it kicked into my brain that this was the last port and our cruise was on the downhill side now.

P1030665-M.jpg

I loved the license tags! Just the appropriate blend of University of Tennessee and One Happy Island!

P1030650-M.jpg

Remember I ♥ NY?

P1030668-M.jpg

Change from the supermarket

P1030673-M.jpg

P1030675-M.jpg

One of the places that Tony pointed out to us during the drive to Bayahibe was the Chavon River where some scenes from Apocalypse Now were filmed. We crossed a fairly new bridge and from there you could see the area where the film was shot, and several other movies were also filmed there among them a couple of Rambo movies and Jurassic Park.

A lot of people don’t like the DR and prefer to stay on the ship but I can tell you we were treated wonderfully and it is a beautiful country! The people are friendly and those who chose to stay onboard are really missing out. The port is not located in City Center per se and it disappoints some cruisers who don’t understand that to really get the most out of a port like DR, they do need to book some type of a tour or private excursion – much like they would in a port like Belize. I’m SO glad that I didn’t listen to the naysayers here on CC and I challenge any one of them to contact Tony so that they can get a more realistic and personal view of the country.

That night we had dinner in Cucina del Capitano, having attended the basketball concert they serve for lunch on both the previous two days! Lunch is an outstanding free Pasta Bar and dinner is quite good for the $12 charge. It is located on Deck 11 Aft and has a good view! The basketball concert is aggravating but sure as heck didn’t ruin either of my lunches!

P1030115-M.jpg

P1030116-M.jpg

P1030118-M.jpg

P1030122-M.jpg

P1030126-M.jpg

Thanks for your info on the DR and for your review in general!

I have been to the DR many times and had much fun, but in a different area (Boca Chica & Juan Dolio), but when we scheduled a cruise to La Romana last year, I couldn't find anything that would suit us. Your info has helped us plan for next time there! Thanks!

So lets talk about the ship a little bit in general. The layout is great, I never felt crowded at any place on the ship and I never thought I was sharing the ship with 4000 people.

I read on here about the elevators and how hard they were to catch. We didn't experience that. We choose a cabin right outside of the glass elevators on purpose and we rode them every day, multiple times. They were much easier to catch than the others - I think everyone forgot about them! Even when coming back on the ship from a port, everyone else used the main elevators - we walked up two flights and nobody was ever using the glass elevators! So convenient if you are near the front of the ship!

The Lido Buffet floor. Oh my, is that a dangerous spot of real estate or what? I had shoes that you simply could not walk on that floor with - they were a brand new pair of Crocs Sandals and all my other Crocs didn't have an issue - but these, I felt like I was on roller skates! I don't know what the issue is with that floor but please be careful and test your shoes out before you are carrying a large loaded plate and a drink! I saw others have the same issue - they need to coat that floor with something like what it on the floor around the pool - something with some grit in it! And sometimes those Palm trees will reach out and grab you too! Don't ask the bruise on my arm how I know, but trust me on this! :D And the phones on the wall in the Lido too - I think I completely destroyed one handset on one of them by mistake and I can't count the times I saw them knocked in the floor - they need to recess them a bit so they don't stick so far out at shoulder height!

I love the decor! Love, love it! I felt like I was at a Caribbean resort - loved the decor! I don't care if I ever see another ship with neon and urns - the Breeze decor is lovely! So informal and so relaxing! Even the cabin doors and the halls are relaxing! What a great change!

The door into the Lido Buffet is still shattered. Didn't make any difference to me, the door works fine and they have done a good job of making it work and not stand out. No biggie - shame it had to happen but it isn't all horrid looking or anything like some have made it out to be.

I never saw any Chair Hogs. (I did see a few towels that seemed to make themselves into animals and throw a party or something, but no human Hogs!!) It seemed to me that the chairs on Deck 12 were harder to get than a chair by the pool! I like the addition of those chairs on Deck 12 - shaded for part of the day and they sure make movies easy to watch! I actually saw people sitting on all three decks watching movies, 11, 12 and 13 and I was surprised at just how popular they were! I enjoyed the deck party from the chairs on Deck 12 one night - great to be able to see everything but still not be in the mass of people getting their groove on! It was our first ship with a Seaside Theater and I thought it added to the experience instead of detracted. Just my opinion!

Deck 5 Lanai is a great place to hang out. We liked the swinging picnic table under the umbrella right outside the Red Frog Pub a lot! Good service from the bar, a cornhole game always going on and just a really cool place to hang out!

Based on the reports from the Comedy Club wait times, we didn't go to them. I've enjoyed them on previous ships but they were in a larger venue and didn't have those long lines. I know JH says they won't move it but we were discouraged by what we had read on here and there is so much else to do on the Breeze other than stand in lines. We really didn't stand in any lines for much of anything!

We were so high up on the ship, Deck 11, so we didn't have any issues with privacy on our balcony - outside of the noisy neighbor I've already written about. When you are sitting you aren't even aware there is a deck below you that sticks out any further than the one you are on. Even when you are standing, you are so far up that it doesn't get in your way or cause an issues. And I didn't feel like it impeded my view of the water either. I sat on the balcony every night and watched the water from our balcony - I moved one of the chairs (and one of them was almost a full lounge chair) to sit parallel to the balcony and you could see the water and feel the breeze in your hair! Super relaxing!

I'll get back to more on the ship later in the report. I've got the pocket map to scan and I'll also scan the Fun Times that I didn't already download straight to my tablet while on the ship. That was a great feature - being able to download the Fun Times and the deck plans straight to our devices without using any internet minutes - wish their regular website worked that well!

Early in the deck party

P1030495-M.jpg

P1030496-M.jpg

All three decks being utilized

P1030499-M.jpg

P1030508-M.jpg

Playing with the filter a bit on my camera

20131030_112809-M.jpg

Great review - seems like you had a wonderful trip. Did you take any photos of the Liquid Lounge, we are getting married on the Breeze in January and our reception is in Liquid Lounge

Love your part on the Dreams resort as well - we are planning our day here......now we are really looking forward to it :)

thanks again

Great review - seems like you had a wonderful trip. Did you take any photos of the Liquid Lounge, we are getting married on the Breeze in January and our reception is in Liquid Lounge

Love your part on the Dreams resort as well - we are planning our day here......now we are really looking forward to it :)

thanks again

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I didn't get a single pic inside the Liquid Lounge. I've got a really bad pic of the outside entrance - from the Lanai, sorry it came out fuzzy. I think Mike has some good ones in his review though.

You will love Dreams! It was the 2nd best day on our trip - the first was our Aruba Bob trip! But Dreams, man, talk about feeling like a Queen for a Day - they will take great care of you! (just don't forget to budget that darn taxi ride in - I still say that DR has one of the most expensive taxi rides ever - but sooooo well worth it!!)

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I didn't get a single pic inside the Liquid Lounge. I've got a really bad pic of the outside entrance - from the Lanai, sorry it came out fuzzy. I think Mike has some good ones in his review though.

You will love Dreams! It was the 2nd best day on our trip - the first was our Aruba Bob trip! But Dreams, man, talk about feeling like a Queen for a Day - they will take great care of you! (just don't forget to budget that darn taxi ride in - I still say that DR has one of the most expensive taxi rides ever - but sooooo well worth it!!)

Thanks for the reply - I am also following Mike's review :)

We'll just pack as many people as we can in the taxi to make it worth the cost :rolleyes:

Thanks, Martha. In two short weeks, it will be our turn & this will keep me going for another 14 days...not that I'm counting. :D So happy that you are taking the time to post ~ have followed several recent reviews & love that you all have different pictures of the ports and places of interest. You rock!

Thank you! You should be beside yourself with excitement! I was, and it lived up to all my expectations! Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Really enjoying reading your review and love your pics! May I ask what kind of camera you have? We are booked on the Breeze Sept. 2014...can't wait!

Thanks!! It is a Panasonic Lumix TS3 but keep in mind I didn't take the underwater pics in Aruba!

Thanks Martha for posting your review, you have gave me the answers that I've been seeking for months...

I have already contacted Aruba Bob and they were quick to reply.

As for Dreams Resort..... I can not find a day pass option on their website, How did you book your day Pass?

Thanks for your help,

Shar

Thanks Martha for posting your review, you have gave me the answers that I've been seeking for months...

I have already contacted Aruba Bob and they were quick to reply.

As for Dreams Resort..... I can not find a day pass option on their website, How did you book your day Pass?

Thanks for your help,

Shar

You can contact Louise Coley at either of these email addresses. She will take care of your reservation! Don't forget to take an ID with you, they will keep it at the front desk and give it back at checkout! Have fun!

info.drelr@dreamsresorts.com or at econcierge.drelr@dreamsresorts.com

There is a little sand trick - if you don't like it on your feet you can put baby powder on your feet after the sand starts to dry and the sand will fall right off! Great I guess if you are wearing socks and shoes but if you are wearing sandals you will end up looking like me! :eek:

P1030254-M.jpg

Thanks for this infromation. That is one reason I really don't like the beach is because I can't stand sand on my feet ...sounds crazy, I know. But I will definitely use this tip on our next cruise. Loving your review!

Wednesday was a late Port Day – Curacao – 2pm-11pm! It made beach time challenging and in the end I gave up and traded a snorkel day for a walk around port day. I’m glad I did. Curacao is charming! So many little shops to wander through – music almost live on every block – little alleys to take as shortcuts – just loved it! On anyone of those alleys you might find a café tucked away with art that will blow your mind!

P1030581-M.jpg

It was in Curacao that we discovered that we missed the Larimar in DR. Larimar, also called "Stefilia's Stone" or Larimor, is a rare blue variety of pectolite found on a one square kilometer on a mountaintop in the Dominican Republic Its coloration varies from white, light-blue, green-blue to deep blue. It almost looks like very washed out Turquoise but it is supposed to look like the sea. (From wiki - In 1974, at the foot of the Bahoruco Range, the coastal province of Barahona, Miguel Méndez and Peace Corps volunteer Norman Rilling rediscover Larimar on a beach. Natives, who believed the stone came from the sea, called the gem Blue Stone. Miguel took his young daughter's name Larissa and the Spanish word for sea (mar) and formed Larimar, by the colors of the water of the Caribbean Sea, where it was found.) Anywho the reason I am wailing on here about Larimar is my last name is Larimer. I know it isn’t the same (like Larimer County Colorado where I’ve never been) but it is close and close is good enough in horseshoes and hand grenades and CC cruise reviews!

20131030_162030-M.jpg

Soooooo, we realize in Curacao that we didn’t look for any in DR and now we were finding it in most of the stores. To be honest, I’ve never set foot in a jewelry store in the Caribbean – I’m not a big jewelry buyer – most of the stuff I wear I’ve had on my hands or in my ears or around my neck for thirty years. But we took the self-guided (and self composed) Larimar jewelry walking tour! We only picked up one piece but it was pretty large and really beautiful.

The amazing Infinity Pool at the Renaissance - I checked into renting a room for a day to be able to swim here - it was around $160 I think - glad I didn't do it as walking around was far more interesting!

P1030543-M.jpg

This was the Monarch of the Seas - hard to imagine at one time that was probably the largest cruise ship!

P1030544-M.jpg

20131030_135250-M.jpg

P1030550-M.jpg

OMG...I saild the Monarch of The Seas back in the day! How interesting to see it there and so colorful. LOL

• 5 months later...