Princess, Carnival or Holland to Alaska?

bamm

Last year my wife and I took the 10 day Grand Princess cruise out of San Francisco returning to San Francisco. We enjoyed Alaska so much that for our anniversary we want to go back. Additionally this year we also took a 4 day cruise to Ensenada on the Carnival Inspiration...

I have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival. This time we want to do a 7 day out of Seattle. I'm looking for ship comparisons. The ship we took down to Ensenada was actually kinda nice and I liked the furniture on it a lot more than the furniture on the Grand Princess. However the environment on the Ensenada cruise was awful. I suppose that is because its more of a "party" ship. What I'm wondering is what is the atmosphere like on Carnival to Alaska as well as Holland America. Is there anybody out there that has taken more than one Cruise Line to Alaska and if so which did you prefer?

Princess is the "king of the Alaska market" so to speak.

While any cruise to Alaska is a good one(no you won't find party crowds on any of the lines), Princess generally is the cruise line of choice. They go to Glacier Bay and have wonderful cruise tours.

Of course if you are certain to leave out of Seattle, you will be missing quite a lot. It's only a few hours train ride(and under $100) to get to Vancouver for a cruise that will get you further North.

The Crown Princess does a North/South bound route that you may be interested in.

Carnival and Disney only do closed loop cruises to Alaska and therefor miss a bit. However if that's what you are interested in, then you will like Carnival. Sounds like aside from the party crowd, you liked that cruise a lot. That crowd tends to stick with shorter cruises to beaches, they won't be on your longer Alaska cruise.

Regardless of what they may try to convince you on the HAL boards, they are known as "retirement ship" cruises. Depending on your age, this may be perfect or not.

Good luck, and for what it's worth, I'm not sure I've ever read a bad review of an Alaska cruise. Not on any line.

Edited by Lerin

My DH and I loved our Inside Passage cruise to Alaska - it got us hooked on cruising.

Our TA recommended HAL to us (at the time, I was 42 and DH 45) - so not the "old fogies" some would suggest are on HAL. (sorry, I hate getting labelled) We were not the youngest on our ship. Since that cruise we have sailed HAL 3 more times. We enjoy the food, large staterooms, wonderful crew, beautiful ships and great itineraries.

I think a cruise to Alaska is great and I suggest you find a cruise that includes Glacier Bay. I hope you have a good cruise no matter what cruise line and ship you choose.

Lerin, Can you share what cruise line goes farther north if you leave out of Vancouver? I don't see any that are not following the same itinerary of Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway. Except for Holland America which leaves out of Seattle still and goes to Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau.

Thanks!

My DH and I did the round trip 7 day out of Seattle with Princess. Then the following year I did same cruise but out of Vancouver BC with a girlfriend and we went with Holland.

Having done both I would say I loved them both for different reasons. They each did Glacier Bay which is a must. The Holland ship was a bit smaller and was able to get in closer. The age of fellow travellers did seem a bit younger on Princess but that didn't matter to us.

In my opinion you would be happy with either line. It's all about the itineray and just make sure it includes Glacier Bay! We loved touring both Seattle and Vancouver ahead of time.

One more advantage with Holland was that it was a Wed-Wed itinerary which meant fewer ships in each port so way less crowded. Our Princess cruise was Sat-Sat.

Enjoy your planning!

NCL does go to Glacier Bay as well. Carnival does offer one way cruises at the beginning and end of the Alaska cruise season. Any cruise line is going to give you a great Alaska experience. As for 'missing a lot' on a roundtrip cruise, I disagree with that statement. We've done both....the R/T first, and the one way from Whittier to Vancouver the next year. We, by far, enjoyed our roundtrip cruise better than the one way. Flights were easier, cheaper and shorter. Overall, less stress. The one way cruises make it convenient for those who want to do interior touring of Alaska either before or after the cruise.

As for the reference to going further north...I believe Lerin was trying to explain that the one way trips originate and depart between Vancouver and either Seward or Whittier (Anchorage). I don't know of any one way cruises out of or to Seattle.

I WOULD NOT DO ALASKA ON A LARGE SHIP. Princess has several small ships that can get in closer to glaciers. Holland also has smaller ships. The inside passage is mot really Alaska. Try to get a cruise tour and see more than the 7 day trips.