Almpost live from QM2 BTB November 12 2013

capnpugwash

I am as usual enjoying your excellent blogs but going off topic very slightly.... Did you take any pictures during the heavy weather that you experienced on your previous cruise whilst negotiating the Bay of Biscay please.

I am guessing the worse of the weather was at night, but it might still have been slightly 'up and downy' during the hours of daylight?

Thanks again for allowing us to share you cruise

John

I have been a little slow off the mark and only found your blog. It is a great blog and I feel like I am there. Good luck with the quizzes and enjoy the return journey home. I look forward to reading about the rest of the trip.

Chez

9 to 14 metre swells at the moment with winds of force 8 rising to force 10!

Cap'n : you are in some storm, 14 meters around 45 ft , 8 going force 10 or more winds.

I looked at the webcam , and It looked stormy but it doesn't give an accurate reading of what you are in.

How is the ship handling this?

Thanks for the update

I'd like to experience just one rough night on the QM2, just to see how she handles it.

I dread to think of the required sea conditions to get that ship moving in a lively manner.

When the storm force winds of Sandy were expected off the coast of New York, the captain\commodore? of the QM2 understandably had his navigator plot a new course to ensure they avoided the edge of that nasty wind. We all accept the ship could have easily handled those conditions and I would simply ask why would any mariner want to put their ship in harms way unnecessarily?

Riding out rough weather can be 'exciting' :eek: but by crikey is it both tiring and exhausting.

Not the QM2 but 'What goes up, must go down!' That wave is about to smash over the 4.5 turret and smash into the bridge windows.

CodWar15degreec_zps6c18bc30.jpg

This ship is experiencing hurricane force winds that it could not avoid and in this shot you will see she is rolling to an angle of possibly just over 15 degrees, not for the faint hearted and keeping in a bunk can be 'challenging'!

Edited by glojo

I'd like to experience just one rough night on the QM2, just to see how she handles it.
I have! :) . Just great is the answer :) !

There are pictures via the link below (under QM2 winter crossing). The only "damage" I noted was some stock and certain christmas displays in the shops were across the floor the next morning, the staff had some clearing up to do before they could open (and for the rest of the crossing china and other breakables were placed on the floor, rather than on high stands in the shops).

The bow rose and fell (felt esp in the Commodore Club :) ) but there was no rolling as far as I noticed.

I had a great time, esp after so many voyages when I didn't feel the QM2 move once :( .

Book a winter crossing on QM2 is my suggestion ;) .

All best wishes.

Edited by pepperrn

Ship handled the storm very well indeed as always, still gale force winds but seas reduced to 6 to 9 metres.
How did the sea conditions compare to those you experienced a few weeks ago when you crossed the Bay?

My wife and I are on this B2B. On the way over to NY there was a catholic priest, also thought to be on a B2B. He was one of the number-waving people herding us on to the Cunard coaches at Brooklyn for a days shopping or whatever in Manhattan. At the appointed meeting time for the coaches behind Macy's on 7th he failed to appear for the return trip to the ship. The last coach apparently waited for half an hour but as he didn't appear it left without him. His assistant on the outward coach journey didn't know what had happened to him either.

Back at the ship calls from the Purser's office on the PA system were in vain. The ship left NY about 90 minutes late and we were led to believe this was due to delayed bunkering although many think it was to allow time for the priest to turn up as well.

Does anyone know what happened to the priest? I was expecting Pugwash to mention it in his blog but he hasn't so perhaps it was all a storm in a tea cup!

My wife and I are on this B2B. On the way over to NY there was a catholic priest, also thought to be on a B2B. He was one of the number-waving people herding us on to the Cunard coaches at Brooklyn for a days shopping or whatever in Manhattan. At the appointed meeting time for the coaches behind Macy's on 7th he failed to appear for the return trip to the ship. The last coach apparently waited for half an hour but as he didn't appear it left without him. His assistant on the outward coach journey didn't know what had happened to him either.

Back at the ship calls from the Purser's office on the PA system were in vain. The ship left NY about 90 minutes late and we were led to believe this was due to delayed bunkering although many think it was to allow time for the priest to turn up as well.

Does anyone know what happened to the priest? I was expecting Pugwash to mention it in his blog but he hasn't so perhaps it was all a storm in a tea cup!

Hi RJChatsworth. Did the Daily Programme include any information regarding Sunday Mass? My guess is that Sunday Mass (if there was one) would be the best source of information. Hope all is well. Regards, Salacia

Hi RJChatsworth. Did the Daily Programme include any information regarding Sunday Mass? My guess is that Sunday Mass (if there was one) would be the best source of information. Hope all is well. Regards, Salacia

Today's Daily Prog for Sunday 24th Nov shows, '8am Catholic Worship Unhosted'.

Today's Daily Prog for Sunday 24th Nov shows, '8am Catholic Worship Unhosted'.

That does not bode well.

Just to mention that I have found no mention in the local NY media regarding a priest meeting with misfortune in NY on the day in question.

RJChatsworth, please keep us posted. Thank you. Regards, Salacia

Thanks for the daily reports, Capn. As always they are nice reminders of life on board my favourite ship.

Do you know if Commodore Rynd is on board and in charge for January, 2014?

He is on until January 10 and then Kevin Oprey takes over until April 2 for the World Cruise