Recent Serenade of the Seas sailings!

Me 2

Hoping someone who has recently sailed on a closed loop itinerary (all ports of call within the EU) out of Barcelona can advise:

a) Are the shops onboard allowed to sell duty free or tax free cigarettes and/or Liquor?

b) the same question goes for the shops on the pier after check-in?

TIA ;)

Hoping someone who has recently sailed on a closed loop itinerary (all ports of call within the EU) out of Barcelona can advise:

a) Are the shops onboard allowed to sell duty free or tax free cigarettes and/or Liquor?

b) the same question goes for the shops on the pier after check-in?

TIA ;)

The shops sold duty free liquor and even had a tasting (I don't smoke so can't answer that). There really weren't any shops at the Barcelona pier that I recall other than a few souvenir shops and liquor store including wine (probably duty free). I suggest you buy your wine to bring onboard in Barcelona.

The shops sold duty free liquor and even had a tasting (I don't smoke so can't answer that). There really weren't any shops at the Barcelona pier that I recall other than a few souvenir shops and liquor store including wine (probably duty free). I suggest you buy your wine to bring onboard in Barcelona.

Linda, our cruise had a stop in Turkey, outside the EU. The only time we were charged VAT was an hour or so when we sailed from Barcelona.

I believe the OP asked about a completely EU cruise. Other threads have indicated VAT is charged for the entire cruise. I don't have that answer.

I believe the OP asked about a completely EU cruise. Other threads have indicated VAT is charged for the entire cruise. I don't have that answer.

Our August Serenade (Venice Itinerary) cruise was EU only. Croatia had joined the EU as of July 1.

VAT was 21% for shops purchases throughout the cruise. It made a very large difference to onboard sales. Every time we walked through the Centrum shops, they were nearly empty.

Linda, our cruise had a stop in Turkey, outside the EU. The only time we were charged VAT was an hour or so when we sailed from Barcelona.

You're right, I read it as specific to Barcelona. We had a turkey stop as well. Also, we bought wine in Italy, which I was carrying in my bag, plopped it on the xray and took it with me to my room. Security was only holding onto bottles that were in boxes and/or presented openly. I wasn't trying to hide anything, it was easier to carry in my bag. We brought them home.

Our August Serenade (Venice Itinerary) cruise was EU only. Croatia had joined the EU as of July 1.

VAT was 21% for shops purchases throughout the cruise. It made a very large difference to onboard sales. Every time we walked through the Centrum shops, they were nearly empty.

Wine, beer. etc. and specialty restaurant were at 10@. To avoid, I booked everything from the US to avoid the VAT.

Thanks for your additional input steveru621, windjamming and nelblu.

I knew about the VAT situation on closed loop sailings but wondered if duty free sales were allowed onboard the ship for passengers from outwith the EU to take home :confused: I know that duty free items are available for purchase at the airport but since I have an early flight out of BCN I may be pushed for time :eek:

off tomorrow for all EU cruise on Serenade, will post on what is happening on our return if that is not too late for you.

On our recent Adventure cruise there was no bottles of alcohol or cigarettes on sale in Shops on board and the ship had notices to say they were paying the VAT themselves on other purchases.

Also shops dockside in the ports we visited said you had to pay the extra VAT when making a purchase of alcohol and cigarettes to take back onboard.

Thanks for your additional input steveru621, windjamming and nelblu.

I knew about the VAT situation on closed loop sailings but wondered if duty free sales were allowed onboard the ship for passengers from outwith the EU to take home :confused: I know that duty free items are available for purchase at the airport but since I have an early flight out of BCN I may be pushed for time :eek:

Ah, ok. There was some way for non-EU folks to reclaim a part of the VAT back, but I don't believe it was duty free.

How early is your flight? We were on a 10:45 and had plenty of time at the airport.