Avoid having Viking do the airfare

dewey089

I checked my records, and the only time we booked air through the cruise line was our recent AMA trip.

I did my research, found the non-stop flights I wanted from JFK to Amsterdam and return from Zurich, and asked my TA whether she could do better than the airline's internet fares. Her agency couldn't, but AMA was able to book the same flights for only a little more (less than the value of their included transfers).

So we knew the exact flight itinerary before we booked, we were able to upgrade to Economy Plus right away, and we got full Frequent Flyer credit for the flights. I would never book cruise air without knowing these things!

although they did have use of our money for a couple of months Viking refunded the cost of the air when we found it cheaper to book on our own. That way we had a guarantee with the Viking air special in the event that Delta was more.

• 2 weeks later...
We had a fine trip last year in Southern France. The river boat cruise could not have been better.

So we jumped at a sale to go along the Northern Portugal river in mid-December.

We usually drive to Florida from NY for the winter. We decided to drive down, leave our packed van with friends, fly to Lisbon, have three days there and then a week on the cruise. And then come back for our winter in Florida.

Viking booked the air for us.

But they would not tell us the details of that flight until the last minute.

They knew the details two months ago. We got them yesterday, with some begging.

Here is the Itinerary:

Tampa to Dulles Wash DC to Munich to Lisbon.

Quite a round-a-bout way. It is going to be a long trip.

Well, it is a not open for any negotiation, and I guess I understand that, but get this absurdity.

We could leave our van in Washington DC and just take the Washington DC to Munich and Munich to Lisbon legs. We'd come back to DC and finish the drive to Tampa.

Seems reasonable. No real change in anything except we free up a seat for some other passenger from Tampa to Washington and later from Washington to Tampa. For the same money the airline gets to add a customer on those legs on both the flight over and the flight back. Should be win-win for every one.

Nope!

It would cost us $350 each to make that change. $350 to not fly quite so much.

Nuts, huh?

So next time we'll just wander over to Europe on our own and meet the boat. On the boat, Viking is all about the customer, at least that was our one time experience. But booking air they are all about bureaucratic obscurity and absurdity.

And they seem to want us to spread the good word. Well, we will. We talk to a lot of travelers. I even do a bit of freelance travel writing. So, I'll get this out to a few thousand folks. Starting here.

Haven't read all the posts so apologies if this is a repeat but we paid $50 pp for " custom air" for last Dec's flights to Munich.

It was sort of "custom " in that I could pick airlines and connections on flights that were " available to viking". Even though I saw there was a direct flight with seats available, it was not " available" for me to book thru Viking.

so why did I use Viking you ask? Because of a sale promo where my airfare was darn near free , thats why...i had to suck it up and take the " custom air" itinerary which was marginally better than non custom air.

Friends who also paid the $50 pp custom air were booked by Viking with a 45 min connection in Frankfurt..anyone who has been to Frankfurt knows that is impossible. Needless to say, the friends watched their plane leave without them and they got to spend the night in Toronto as they flew home from Budapest to Los Angeles. Thankfully, it was on the return flight post cruise.

Well, thanks for all the comments and clarifications. It will all go well I suppose, if the airlines don't lose our luggage. Five flights in a row they lost them. But never domestically on Southwest.

We have those three days in Lisbon to let the bags catch up to us from Tampa or Washington or Munich.

Once on the boat, I fully expect there will be no issues whatsoever.

When we do another such cruise, I think we'll just find an early way to Europe and wander on our own to the ship. This time we could have had an easy flight from Boston to the Azores, spent some time there, and then gone into Lisbon from there. A better plan.

Nice to find the board. Happy traveling.

There are two types of luggage..carry on and LOST!

We bought lighter carryon with 4 wheels to use on our Danube cruise last winter and that is all we take with us now. it is challenging at times to get enough of the right clothes and shoes into one bag but using a laptop bag and larger purse as our " personal" items in addition to each of our carry ons, we make it work.

And it is quite liberating to NOT have to wait at luggage carousels praying to the gods " PLEASE let my suitcase show up!" Or NOT have to collect checked bags, clear customs then put said bags back on another flight as we often do. Everything we have and need is always with us.

Nope, we are now committed "carry on-ers ". We just did 7 day New England cruise in Oct including two formal nites with days in NYC pre and post. Using Prior planning, a good luggage hand scale (many airlines now have weight limits on carry on) and mix and match options and it worked.

Carry on is becoming a huge hastle these days. On our recent river cruise we saw two people come very near to a fist fight when trying to find space for their carry on. One couple decided not to obey the one in storage and one underneath the seat concept which took from other passengers. I didn't blame the guy at all for being upset. Also, remember that European airports weigh and sometimes measure your carry on. I wish the US did that!!

Would love to know the brand and the dimensions of your new cases. It would be great to have 'carry on' only.

We are doing 10 weeks in Europe in 2014 - think that may stretch it a bit though. :)

I see you are in Australia so your manufacturers are likely different than here in N.A. Our luggage is inexpensive 'Cal Pak' (they started making student back paks and rolling bags) bought at a discount store.

The dimensions are approx 20'' L x 13.5'' W x 11''D +2'' Expanded and weight empty is 3.6 kg. Air France, Lufthansa and Cathay Pacific all weigh their carry ons and I'm guessing most international airlines will be soon doing that if not already.

Lufthansa has a weight limit of 8.0 kg and Cathay Pacific 7.0 kg so it is challenging BUT the key is to take a hand held luggage scale with you to the store as most luggage manufacturers do NOT include the empty weight in their specs.

Check on line for the airlines you usually or likely will be travelling for their carryon size and weight limits. Then go shopping with your hand held scale.

10 wks with a carryon (and your 'personal item' ) would be challenging but liberating too. I take my 90 ml (3 oz) of liquid concentrated laundry soap and hand rinse items when needed, then roll in towel to remove excess moisture and hang to dry.

Mix and match, use accessories like scarves and belts, blouses unbuttoned become jackets, polyester golf shirts dry in a flash after being towel dried...it can work!

I always carry a print out of the airlines carry on limits with me just in case I need to show I most certainly am within the limits...never have had to use it.

Also, once my suitcase was bang on the 8.0 kg limit and hubby's was 8.4 kg. We put mine on the scale first and the agent said 'great'. Then hubby's...agent looked at me and just smiled and said 'that's fine'.:rolleyes:

I think they half expect the woman's to be the heaviest! I always have a heavy thing in the outside pocket or at the top so if need be, can whip it out and shove into my 'personal item'.:rolleyes:

We all have too much stuff in our lives., in our homes, on our desks; so why oh why carry it with us half way around the world? Try it once and see how it works for you. You may surprise yourself.:)