Transferring from one ship to another

kelly3399

We are thinking of taking the Queen Victoria British Isles Cruise next May. We would be arriving and departing from Southampton aboard the QM2.

On arrival in Southampton, does Cunard move our luggage from QM2 to Queen Victoria or is that our responsibility? Will both ships be docked together or will a cab ride be required?

Just in planning stages, so all info is appreciated. Thanks, Kelly

When you board the Queen Mary 2 go to the tour office and ask if they have any plans for transferring passengers from your ship to the QV. I'm sure there will be others who will be doing the same thing. Cunard provided a bus for those of us, as well as our luggage, when we did this. They made it a very easy transfer.

I did this in Jan this year ( from QM2 to Q.Vic)

Cunard took care of the transportation of my luggage, however, all guests had to identify their own luggage in the arrivals baggage area at Southampton before it was loaded onto the transport for delivery to the Victoria.

Separate transport was arranged to transfer guests to the other ship.

When I saw the title of this thread I thought..

'Hecky thump' Are we expected to transfer from one ship to another!!:eek:

HMSHardy_zps8e579552.jpg

For anyone that is interested this is a junior Admiral (Commodore) 'transferring ship's' :)

It was not unknown for 'jolly jack' to slightly relax on these ropes and 'accidentally' bounce the unsuspecting individual, but dunking anyone too far into the ogging was a rfeally strict no, no!!

The Americans were far more sophisticated but it just did not look 'manly' :eek::)

TransferAtSea.jpg

We transfered from the QV to the QM 2 after the world cruise in South Hampton. The Qv was not at the same terminal as the QM2. It was not as easy as it sounds. We were taken by bus to the QM2 afte taking our own lungage to the bus. When we arrived at the QM2 we were then asked to identify our luggage and it was taken on board. We thought and were told that they would have taken the luggage from our cabin on the QV. That was not the case ...after a trip with our luggage after a world cruise we were certainly disappointed that it was handled in that manner.... We were not happy campers after that ordeal.

Hi Mariner05. I can understand that it would have been lovely to forget about your luggage, but I suspect it's security that's to blame for it. They have to make one rule for everyone. Suppose someone has banned substances or explosives in their luggage. I assume customs take sniffer dogs around the suitcases. I don't think it's enough for them to identify the suitcase as yours. I think you actually have to have collected it yourself. That part is for the safety of everyone and to follow the rules of the country where you disembark.

As for identifying your luggage at the QM2, again, that would be to make sure that no one slips a piece of luggage onboard, carrying explosives, when they are not travelling themselves. It also reassures you that all your suitcases have arrived safely! I always watch to make sure my suitcase actually makes it onto the luggage chute.

It's unfortunate that we have to be more safety conscious in our post 9/11 world, but it's a reality.

Hi Mariner05. I can understand that it would have been lovely to forget about your luggage, but I suspect it's security that's to blame for it. They have to make one rule for everyone. Suppose someone has banned substances or explosives in their luggage. I assume customs take sniffer dogs around the suitcases. I don't think it's enough for them to identify the suitcase as yours. I think you actually have to have collected it yourself. That part is for the safety of everyone and to follow the rules of the country where you disembark.

As for identifying your luggage at the QM2, again, that would be to make sure that no one slips a piece of luggage onboard, carrying explosives, when they are not travelling themselves. It also reassures you that all your suitcases have arrived safely! I always watch to make sure my suitcase actually makes it onto the luggage chute.

It's unfortunate that we have to be more safety conscious in our post 9/11 world, but it's a reality.

I suppose that the regulations differ from TA to WC or from arriving from overseas to arriving from continental europe as customs does require passengers to declare their goods personally when arriving from overseas.