Sail and Sign Accounts

carnival03

Okay I only went so far into this process because the cruise is not until April, however can minors charge on their Sail & Sign cards? I know I have to give privileges but can I link a separate card to the account? My son is 17 has a job and a debit card so when it comes time to approve him to charge can we link his debit card to his Sail & Sign Card or will my card be linked to it?

Yes, you can link his card to it. However, the tips will get charged there as well. You can go to Guest Services, and have his tips added onto your card, if you so choose.

However we prepaid our gratuities during the booking process, so none should be charged to his account correct? Or is there hidden tips on everything?

I always pre pay tips too. Don't want that added to my sail & sign card.

When you check in online, put your card number down for you and have your son do the same thing with his card.

However heard to many bad things about using a debit card. So I would suggest your son use a cash account. He can put money down at check in and then add to it if needed during the cruise.

When you check in online, put your card number down for you and have your son do the same thing with his card.

However heard to many bad things about using a debit card. So I would suggest your son use a cash account. He can put money down at check in and then add to it if needed during the cruise.

I have used a debt card for every cruise I have been on and never had any issues. I think it depends on which bank you use.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

The only real "negative" I see to using a debit card, is depending on the ship, they may "authorize" charges as you go, and not wait for 1 large authorization at the end of the trip. Due to the way your bank processes these charges, it is possible to have both the "authorizations" AND the "final remittance" charges during the same time period.. until the pre-authorizations "fall off". I've expereinced "pre authorizations" of every purchase, or pre authorizations of the balance on day 2, day 3, etc.. and then the final "total" being charged (this was on my CC, and it just took a couple of days for the authorizations to be removed once the final, total balance was charged). It does seem from reports here, that these preauthorizations on debit cards take "longer" to be removed.. not sure why, but that seems to be the case... or maybe becuase it is the persons bank account, they are following the balance more closely, so it is more noticable.

As long as you have enough of an available balance to potentially "cover" 2x your charges, you'll be fine. However, since he's 17, I am making a guess that he may or may not have a ton of available cash in the bank, and therefore, could come back to port and find his account in the red.

A good alternative would instead to have him set up a cash account once onboard. He can add more cash as the trip progresses, and will get a balance refund the last night (if applicable).. the lines for this tend to be long though, so that is one downside of the cash account.

If he has enough of a "buffer" in the bank over what he intends to spend, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by cruzinmamaTN

We're sailing on the Legend... I've recently heard of the sail and sign kiosk (which weren't available on our last cruise) can he manage his account from one of the kiosk? As in insert money to be credited to the account, does it have a cash option at the kiosk? Does anyone know if the Legend has one on board?

However heard to many bad things about using a debit card.

So I would suggest your son use a cash account.

He can put money down at check in and then add to it if needed during the cruise.

LOVE my cash accounts!

So easy to manage, and so very real!

It's Your Money you're spending, in Real Time.

Yes, you can link his card to it. However, the tips will get charged there as well. You can go to Guest Services, and have his tips added onto your card, if you so choose.

I am traveling with DS (21) and DD (19) and THEIR BFFs (19, 19).

I would like their gratuities charged to me, but they will have cash for their incidentals.

To do this, do I give my Credit Card for check-in, and select NO CHARGING?

And then have them add cash to their accounts?

Can they add cash when we check-in before boarding, or will we have to go to Guest Services (use the Kiosks)?