Has the Zuiderdam fixed its a/c issues

vmcpa

I have been told by ship services that the air conditioning was fixed November 8th. Can anyone just off the ship verify that.

How do you think a passenger on cruise critic would know this answer? What would be the vehicle that would pass on and confirm this information that the A/C was operational to some set standard throughout the entire ship. Seriously. I can appreciate you wanting this information, but wonder how anyone here could give you the answer you are seeking.

How do you think a passenger on cruise critic would know this answer? What would be the vehicle that would pass on and confirm this information that the A/C was operational to some set standard throughout the entire ship. Seriously. I can appreciate you wanting this information, but wonder how anyone here could give you the answer you are seeking.

I can understand the OP asking the question - and of course I am sure they realise it won't apply to the whole ship. But no harm in asking.

My personal opinion..... HAL has been saying it's been fixed for some years now.:rolleyes:

I can understand the OP asking the question - and of course I am sure they realise it won't apply to the whole ship. But no harm in asking.

My personal opinion..... HAL has been saying it's been fixed for some years now.:rolleyes:

Annette, you believe that "it's been fixed", don't you, as you have (another) cruise booked on the 'Zuiderdam'? Hopefully, you won't have issues with non functioning toilets & a/c this time around on your upcoming Trans Panama Canal cruise travel adventure! ;)

Talking here off the top of my head, but I believe HAL just may have some of the oldest collection of ships out there, including our fleet of beloved smaller ships which have no equal among the mainline cruise companies. There will be glitches.

I don't fault lack of maintenance as some perverse HAL corporate policy; but the fact one is still able to sail on these lovely old classics that take a beating from both time and the sea that are increasingly being held together with quick fixes of bailing wire and duct tape.

Know this before you go if you choose older ships for their flaws as well as their virtues. Go with the larger, newer more modern lines of those who charge premium rates that can translate into a higher ability of daily care.

But also saying that, I think HAL goes to extraordinary lengths to ensure passenger health, safety and happiness at all times under their control. I have no lack of confidence in Holland America Cruise Lines at any level. They keep their ships and the back of the house in Bristol shape to the fullest of their ability considering the age and demands of their fleet.

Having sailed on other older ships besides HAL, it is always with a more forgiving and tolerant attitude towards what can go wrong on the high seas with these older vessels. Yes, delay flush toilets and sub-optimum A/C are part of their downsides.

Personally I will take their compensatory virtues in a heart beat, but others need to look elsewhere obviously if they find these built-in glitches sub-standard for the prices HAL charges.

Knowing all the S class ships are now up for sale breaks my heart, but HAL knows the time has come for this vintage of cruise ships. Prinsendam remains equally in precarious straights due to her age too.

Sail all of them when you can and as often as you can, because this era of smaller cruise ships is coming to an end. For that, I do accept delay flush toilets and suboptimal AC and no guarantees my cabin will be the next one so afflicted.

Annette, you believe that "it's been fixed", don't you, as you have (another) cruise booked on the 'Zuiderdam'? Hopefully, you won't have issues with non functioning toilets & a/c this time around on your upcoming Trans Panama Canal cruise travel adventure! ;)

Whatever you want to assume, GN.:rolleyes:

Don't know why you took such umbrage to a general question OlsSalt, as I don't follow your interpretation as to the OP expecting passengers to know if the equipment on the entire ship was operating up to some set of technical factory specs.

Having just returned to port on Zuiderdam today, Nov 18, I can say that there are still AC issues on her. The rear facing balcony staterooms had no AC for the entire cruise, and there were periods when the aft public areas were very noticeably hot.

A couple of times during the AM peak usage time, we had delayed flushing of the toilet for several minutes, but I did not hear anything about any major backups or long term flushing problems like in the past.

We can forgive a great many things...service, food, entertainment, even the cabin.

But we probably spend 8 or ten out of 24 hours of our cruising day in the cabin, and another 2 hours in and out sitting on the balcony. And we like to sleep in a cool room. It is winter here and we sleep with the window open. A/C and plumbing, if not working, will have the absolute largest negative impact on the enjoyment of our cruise. The only thing worse for us would be to have the ships power fail and the cruise cancelled.

Don't care if we have slow service in the MDR, or a so so meal, bad service/food in the Pinnacle or less than appealing entertainment. These are minor issues for us that we would pass off as just a one off. But never, never do we want to be stuck in a cabin for a week, 14, days, 28 days whatever with malfunctioning A/C or plumbing.

I think that properly functioning HVAC and plumbing is the minimum that a cruise line should provide. I can understand a malfunction for a day or so. But if it is a known, persistent issue that has gone on for months I do not feel that the cruise line should continue to knowingly sell the defective cabin and then pretend on every cruise that it is such a surprise to them. On HAL, or any other cruise line.

Before this discussion goes any further, is the HAL toilet a vacuum system or a power flush system?

Fot those that refuse to accept there can and well be glitches in HAL's A/C and toilet systems, why is their any debate any longer? Time to move to a cruise line that can guarantee there will be no problems in either category.

One thing I can "verify" is on the Prinsendam when the A/C was operational the curtains would suck out the door to the balcony with a huge gust proving opening balcony doors does not bring in fresh air; just the opposite. When the A/C system was not operating when it was not needed, there was no curtain gusts upon opening the balcony doors. So if HAL ships have an interconnected A/C system as reported on other posts, one cabin leaving their baloney or aft deck doors open would create havoc among all other interconnected systems.

This could be a design flaw exclusive to HAL ships, or among only certain banks of cabins so again it would be hard to know if A/C issues are ship's problem, a cabin problem, or an interconnected system problem due to one or many cabins leaving their doors open. We have been down this path before. And if HAL ships require balcony doors to be kept closed unless using them for exit or egress, then that is a HAL ship A/C flaw known up front.

So reasonably, passengers wanting verified assurances there would be no A/C problems should not cruise HAL ships.

Edited by OlsSalt

We can forgive a great many things...service, food, entertainment, even the cabin.

But we probably spend 8 or ten out of 24 hours of our cruising day in the cabin, and another 2 hours in and out sitting on the balcony. And we like to sleep in a cool room. It is winter here and we sleep with the window open. A/C and plumbing, if not working, will have the absolute largest negative impact on the enjoyment of our cruise. The only thing worse for us would be to have the ships power fail and the cruise cancelled.

Don't care if we have slow service in the MDR, or a so so meal, bad service/food in the Pinnacle or less than appealing entertainment. These are minor issues for us that we would pass off as just a one off. But never, never do we want to be stuck in a cabin for a week, 14, days, 28 days whatever with malfunctioning A/C or plumbing.

I think that properly functioning HVAC and plumbing is the minimum that a cruise line should provide. I can understand a malfunction for a day or so. But if it is a known, persistent issue that has gone on for months I do not feel that the cruise line should continue to knowingly sell the defective cabin and then pretend on every cruise that it is such a surprise to them. On HAL, or any other cruise line.

amen

Hi

I am just back today from sailing. I have some notes. I had no problem with A/C I did feel wamr a few times but that the sun pouring in the room. I had no problems with Toliet. I did hear people on A deck complain about a/c when I was at front desk. I will write a few pro and cons on my trip the cons minor. I will post my report on live from the Zuiderdam.

Mary