Noro on the Gem

VioletHorse

Thank you SOO much for posting live from the ship. You have made me feel much better!!

Enjoy your last 2 days - can't wait to compare reviews when I get back! :D:D

- Hopefully nobody will bring it on with us! :rolleyes: this is just going to make me a little extra cautious - and hunt down those washy, washy, happy, happy folks onboard! LOL

Saturday and no new cases I am told so hopeful as I said previously the Gem's quick reaction did he trick. I am convinced that the one night CTN although a money maker for them definitely comes at a price.

One of the cruises I was working onboard had a 300 ish passenger outbreak and they were able to track it down to the person who brought it onboard. It's almost always caused by someone boarding the ship sick and lying on their health questionnaire.

You have a hitchhiker on the top/back of your ship! ;)

Honestly I think there are more germs in a public restroom. I try not to touch anything. Most of the time I don't wash my hands. I carry a small tube of hand sanitizer and use that. Not just on a cruise ship but anywhere. Yes I am scared of germs. Lol.

You need to do some reading on hand washing vs hand sanitizer......

Also antibacterial hand sanitizers do NOT prevent or kill norovirus.

This seriously needs to be a sicky at the top of every cruise board, because what you're doing would actually spread noro.

Honestly I think there are more germs in a public restroom. I try not to touch anything. Most of the time I don't wash my hands. I carry a small tube of hand sanitizer and use that. Not just on a cruise ship but anywhere. Yes I am scared of germs. Lol.

I always wash mine in rest rooms. I count to 20 slowly so the germs are killed or at least 99% killed. I keep the paper towel and use it to open the door, not to re germ myself.

Edited by Irene7

You need to do some reading on hand washing vs hand sanitizer......

Also antibacterial hand sanitizers do NOT prevent or kill norovirus.

This seriously needs to be a sicky at the top of every cruise board, because what you're doing would actually spread noro.

100% true, hand sanitizer is not a good way to prevent norovirus, washing your hands is the best way.

One thing I learned in health care is to take dry paper towel to open bathroom doors after washing and drying your hands. The wet towel can actually transfer germs. Crazy right?

Good for all of you proper hand washers out there! Btw the I've seen doctors go from one patient to the next without washing hands!!!! Sickening, for real. Then they wonder why MRSA has spread!?! Good grief!

I always wash mine in rest rooms. I count to 20 slowly so the germs are killed or at least 99% killed. I keep the paper towel and use it to open the door, not to re germ myself.

While the time factor in hand washing is important, it's not because you are "killing" the germs. Soap is just a lubricant, used to break the surface tension between the outer layer of skin cells, which are mostly dead, and the next layer of skin cells. You are actually just washing the germs and your skin cells down the drain, not killing them. Even with anti-bacterial soap, the recommended washing time is not sufficient to kill bacteria.

That's just Carnival's new smoke stack design ;)

Almost every cruise has one or two cases of noro onboard. Don't stress it, wash your hands and the rest of it is out of your control.

Not to hijack the thread, but just to say I'm glad to see you posting again, James...it's been a while.

Love the Carnival smokestack.

I spoke to the Gem HD on a past cruise... If the officers are concerned about noro, they will in fact do exactly that. I saw the crew hand out utensils and plates at the buffet on the first day or two of the cruise in order to monitor passenger health. After there was no signs of illness, they went back to regular self-service. They also monitor news of any health concerns from other ships in the same ports of call. NCL's had no serious outbreaks in two years and I'm not worried about sailing her in a few weeks. However, I'll still take basic precautions... I don't want to catch a cold, flu, or any other winter bugs either.

agreed NCL does a great job monitoring passengers health....hand washing is key!

kyle!! you have added the Getaway for the inaugural!!!!!!! oh we gonna be doing a lot a chatting!!!! I have her in April :) now im excited!!

Edited by tiffygirl

agreed NCL does a great job monitoring passengers health....hand washing is key!

kyle!! you have added the Getaway for the inaugural!!!!!!! oh we gonna be doing a lot a chatting!!!! I have her in April :) now im excited!!

Yup. Getaway here I come after Gem :p:p:D

Just off the Gem and glad mommyto2girls gave everyone the scoop. It was a small number of cases, Jenny & the crew handled the situation with speed & grace, and all was well. I found the response especially impressive given the number of crew trainees on board. Clearly they stepped up quickly to get it done.

Now as for some of our fellow passengers? Oy. Cleanliness and hygiene are one thing (and I see that debate is already being had), but another pet peeve of mine is this - why do so many people insist on touching others or others' things? Maybe I'm a little (or a lot) crazy, but I really wish people would keep their hands to themselves! (This rant is brought to you by the passenger in front of me in the duty free shops who was complaining that his roommate was quarantined and then decided to pet the stuffed animal I was holding to purchase for my daughter. Needless to say, I exchanged it for a new one & yes I know that I have no idea how many people touched that animal before I picked it up - LOL!)

Edited by puddles99