Epic- Family Mini Suite w/Balcony - 4 adults?

EMED2010

I read where this sleeps four. DH and I are looking to take our sons (18 and 23) on a 7 night Mediterranean cruise and I wanted to spend the least amount on a room (would rather spend the money on tours). Has anyone ever done this? If so, were you comfortable. We also won't be in the room a lot due to touring and only one sea day.

I read where this sleeps four. DH and I are looking to take our sons (18 and 23) on a 7 night Mediterranean cruise and I wanted to spend the least amount on a room (would rather spend the money on tours). Has anyone ever done this? If so, were you comfortable. We also won't be in the room a lot due to touring and only one sea day.

Comfortable means different things to different people. The real question is whether or not YOU will be comfortable.

Keep in mind that like the bench seat in a car, cabins are designed for two people (double occupancy). Sure, there is room to squeeze in a 3rd or 4th person...but what then? While it might work for a trip to the corner store, it might be a little too crowded for a cross-country journey. Try having the four of you live in one room of your house for a week...see how it goes.

OTOH...If you want to spend the least amount on a room, why not just get two insides instead? You would end up with more room, you would have an extra bathroom, and you would still be spending less than you would to put four in one cabin.

We have been in a mini suite on the Jewel and Pearl, but the Epic mini suite looks very similar so I can give you my opinion based on the Jewel and Pearl. We were traveling with small children and there was enough (not a lot) of room. Now that my kids are teens, I would say it would be very tight. The murphy bed and the sleeper sofa may not be long enough for your "kids". Have you considered a regular balcony room for you and then an inside room for your sons? I hope this helps!

Edited by getaway4fun

the 3rd and 4th beds aren't great for adults. My teens were ok, but the couch is very firm and not very long. If you go this route, get a mattress topper for comfort from your steward. The pull down bunk is pretty comfortable and will hold 300lbs.

You'll be cramped, but there's lot of storage around the room that can be divvied up. I'm assuming you don't have any issues with the bathroom setup (we didn't, but I'm not sure if you're aware of how unique the Epic bathrooms are). Also, try to avoid rooms with a connecting door. You will lose storage/closet space that you will need.

Here is the sleeping arrangement in an Epic balcony for 4. The couch pulls out from under the backrest (there's lots of storage inside). You can walk between the closet and beds, but it's tight.

345-vi.jpg?1385193316

We had a mini suite (on the Epic) with our 4 yr old and 6 yr old and it was great. Keep in mind they were little lol. If you don't plan on spending a lot of time in the cabin I say go for it. It would be tight but no worse than 4 in a balcony cabin.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 years later...

I know that your trip was a while ago and this is open to anyone who might be and/or had same experience.... How did it work out in the room with two older kids? I am going in August with 2 sons (21 and 24) , myself and husband. We pretty much booked the same room. Was it to cramped? Or did it work out fine. Would appreciate any/all feedback on this. Thanks!

One thing with the Epic.. the bathrooms aren't a true bathroom...t here is a shower stall on one side... and a toilet chamber on another and the sink open to the room and a curtain that you can draw to separate the cabin, so it is not super private for four adults. We loved the mini suite, because the shower stall was huge. The first time I was on the Epic, it was me and my uncle and a bit awkward, one of us would sit on the balcony or take a walk while the other showered. The second time I was with my husband, so it was fine. Four to a cabin is always going to be tight, but if you know that going into it, it is what it is... my concern here is the different style of non bathroom set up.

By the way, when I first started cruising, we always put four people into an inside or ocean view cabin... it was the only way we could afford it. Now that I am older and have a little more money, I wouldn't do it, but I'd rather do that and cruise than not go!