$279 for Tea. Are They Serious?

bphman

While I understand that there are many CMs involved in planning and completing an event, are these people paid by the hour or are they on a contract for the ship and essentially told that they need to do whatever they are told to pull off the event? I guess I'm asking whether they are working additional hours with pay (additional to their other duties) or whether DCL is placing more work on the CM without appropriate financial consideration.

My guess is that most CMs probably work near to their max allowed hours under normal circumstances, so the additional activity may indeed mean an extra CM(s) on board/extra salary to handle the situation...but I'm guessing.

DCL charges $500-$3500 for a private function on board (depending on what is desired), and must have the staff on board to handle these instances. Does that mean the CMs that put on these functions have extra time off if no one has booked such functions?

Sorry, cynical me is just convinced that DCL and ultimately the stockholders are benefitting from these things and the CMs involved are having additional time/duties piled onto their existing schedules.

Characters are a special case, most of them have more specific agreements so no way to know for sure.

Most service staff are on a contract that specifies number of hours worked per day (average about 14 of which 12-13 is scheduled 'on' time from what I have heard - ), a primary duty or work area, plus 'duties to be assigned' which basically means the ship's management can assign them anywhere in their duty area or even in some others as needed (for example, luggage handling is unskilled so anyone can be assigned to it. All depends if the job requires any training.

If the cast member agrees to work more than 14 hours (when asked)they are supposed to get extra pay (rate unknown). Of course there is nothing stopping them from dickering a little (if I do this can I have an extra lunch off, etc - more common when covering for another crewmember.

As an example, here was the schedule of our head server on the last days of our cruise last month...

Arrive for an set up breakfast at 5 AM. Serve breakfast until 10. Off lunch that day (they get one full lunch and one full breakfast off per week, never dinner - they may get shorter lunch or breakfast shifts then full service). Due in dining room at 4 PM to set up for dinner, 2 full shifts for dinner till about 11 PM. Next morning, up for disembarkation breakfast at 5 AM till 9 AM or so, then buffet duty, then first dinner for new guests (about 16 hours that day)

With that in mind, it is likely Disney will have to add maybe one cast member equivalent to cover the hours spent on this program, depending on how many servers it takes to do it.

While I understand that there are many CMs involved in planning and completing an event' date=' are these people paid by the hour or are they on a contract for the ship and essentially told that they need to do whatever they are told to pull off the event? I guess I'm asking whether they are working additional hours with pay (additional to their other duties) or whether DCL is placing more work on the CM without appropriate financial consideration.

My guess is that most CMs probably work near to their max allowed hours under normal circumstances, so the additional activity may indeed mean an extra CM(s) on board/extra salary to handle the situation...but I'm guessing.

DCL charges $500-$3500 for a private function on board (depending on what is desired), and must have the staff on board to handle these instances. Does that mean the CMs that put on these functions have extra time off if no one has booked such functions?

Sorry, cynical me is just convinced that DCL and ultimately the stockholders are benefitting from these things and the CMs involved are having additional time/duties piled onto their existing schedules.[/quote']

I arranged a group meet and greet on the Dream Back in July. In working with Disney on the logistics, we could have a character come for 30 minutes for $500 (if my memory serves me correctly). I didn't pursue it any further as i5 seemed a little pricey for our 45 minute get together.

If it were Tinkerbell and Sopia and Arail (as a mermaid), well...no, I still wouldn't be able to pay it, dh wouldn't 'let' me, but for my kid, yep, I would! for mickey and minnie? Nope.

New video. From the looks of it you get about $10 worth of food and maybe $75 worth of Disney merchandise (since it is expensive to start with).

depending on the age of the kid, it sounds worth it. The charm bracelet from each princess. I'd do it as a once in a lifetime thing for dd at the right age (not 2, lol)

With that in mind, it is likely Disney will have to add maybe one cast member equivalent to cover the hours spent on this program, depending on how many servers it takes to do it.

I would be surprised if they offered the tea more than once or twice during a 7-day cruise. It will be interesting to see what the demand is like.

which ones are the classic ships? We'll be on the wonder in Dec.

What characters are hosting the Tea With ........ depends on which characters are onboard, and have availability in their schedule for the time it's planned for.

That's why I said Tea With .........

It could be With the Princesses. Or With Disney Friends. Or With Alice. I've even seen Tea with Wendy.

I arranged a group meet and greet on the Dream Back in July. In working with Disney on the logistics, we could have a character come for 30 minutes for $500 (if my memory serves me correctly). I didn't pursue it any further as i5 seemed a little pricey for our 45 minute get together.

Thanks for your reply and info vcunning!

ex techie

While I understand that there are many CMs involved in planning and completing an event' date=' are these people paid by the hour or are they on a contract for the ship and essentially told that they need to do whatever they are told to pull off the event? I guess I'm asking whether they are working additional hours with pay (additional to their other duties) or whether DCL is placing more work on the CM without appropriate financial consideration.

Sorry, cynical me is just convinced that DCL and ultimately the stockholders are benefitting from these things and the CMs involved are having additional time/duties piled onto their existing schedules.[/quote']

Hi Moki'smommy,

AFAIK the Character Manager and Wardrobe Mistress are the only ones that are salaried, so they would have the extra work added to their duties and not be paid anything additionally.

The Characters, Servers, Technicians, Chef's, House Keeping etc will be on a 70hr/week minimum contract.

Any hours after that are paid in overtime, but at the same rate as the contracted hours. Cast change over weeks are a good time to get additional hours.

It's worth noting that DCL "were" one of a very few cruise lines that actually restricted working hours to a maximum of 92/93? hours a week and a minimum rest period of 7 hours between shifts the next day for rest.

It was called "Project Onboard" and was strictly adhered to by both management and crew as if the crew member broke the maximum hours, they could be terminated for doing so. That said, I had to clock off and work to launch a new show (superiors were aware) so I wouldn't be seen to be breaking Project Onboard by shoreside. :(

Project Onboard only applied to crew and staff. Not officers.

The ILO - International Labor Organisation got involved with working hours on cruise ships a while ago, and I am unsure if the 92/93? hr working limit has changed. I know that they do inspect DCL crew time sheets for any discrepancies.

But to answer part of your question, the Main Stage face characters never have worked anywhere near 70 hours a week whilst aboard. Quite possibly during rehearsals, but not aboard. Even being a handler so a few duties a week. Ensemble cast would be scheduled more duties than the principle cast or dance captains.

So it is possible for them to fulfil the additional duties within the 70 hours that they are paid regardless of the hours they do not work.

The Dream class ships have many more shipwide technicians than the classic's due to the additional technology in each venue and size of the ship.

I would think they can accommodate the additional hours within the schedule without exceeding the maximum permitted IMO hours.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

What characters are hosting the Tea With ........ depends on which characters are onboard, and have availability in their schedule for the time it's planned for.

That's why I said Tea With .........

It could be With the Princesses. Or With Disney Friends. Or With Alice. I've even seen Tea with Wendy.

i was asking which ships are the classic ships...like, would it be offered on the wonder? and would this be listed in the navigators?

i was asking which ships are the classic ships...like, would it be offered on the wonder? and would this be listed in the navigators?

The "Classic" ships or Magic Class were the Magic and Wonder.

But be aware, the Magic has had a major overhaul so the only ship in the fleet that can be classed as a "Classic" now really is the Wonder.

Still as she was built and beautiful! (I don't like the renovation of the Magic and the changes they made to her!)

Hope you have a fantastic cruise and it sounds like tea with Alice or Wendy or another character will be offered within the cruise price at no additional charge.

It will be listed in the Navigator, but is on a first come first served basis, so go to GS on embark to ensure you get a ticket!

And if you see left over cookies, please take them to the tech in the booth at the back or to the councillors in the kids clubs!

We love a treat! lol!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

The "Classic" ships or Magic Class were the Magic and Wonder.

But be aware, the Magic has had a major overhaul so the only ship in the fleet that can be classed as a "Classic" now really is the Wonder.

Still as she was built and beautiful! (I don't like the renovation of the Magic and the changes they made to her!)

Hope you have a fantastic cruise and it sounds like tea with Alice or Wendy or another character will be offered within the cruise price at no additional charge.

It will be listed in the Navigator, but is on a first come first served basis, so go to GS on embark to ensure you get a ticket!

And if you see left over cookies, please take them to the tech in the booth at the back or to the councillors in the kids clubs!

We love a treat! lol!

ex techie

What is a 'leftover cookie?' lol. Though, last time, Room Service did sometimes give us four cookies rather than just two. No cookies were ever wasted. This year, my kid knows what a cookie is...so I'll have to limit my cookie ordering to bedtime or when she's with Daddy.

Where's the tech booth? I have no problem bringing someone cookies!

We did Magic last year out of Gal. This year it's the Wonder! Thanks for the tip to get tickets! My kid will love it.

I personally would NEVER pay that much for such a thing. Wow! I've seen how much those people are paying in BBB on board though, so some people will book it no matter the price. Those little girls do seem to be in heaven though when they come out of that shop. :D

Please spend money though. I own stock. :o LOL

I guess it's all relevant. Some people shop at Nieman Marcus and don't flinch at the prices while others only shop at thrift stores. By keeping it expensive, Disney keeps the shareholders happy and offers something "exclusive" to their "whales."

Personally, I LIKE multiple offerings on board the ship. It is why we sail on DCL and also why we will be without the grands from time to time. The ships now are doing their level best to address everyones idea of a good time. and don't forget the childrens tea at the GF! They have been offering it for years at astronomical prices and it is always filled. Something for everyone would be my assessment. If price was the decider i guess next we would hear, 'i don't use the Aquaduck so i shouldn't have to pay as much for my cruise.' So again I vote for them offering the Royal Tea. Great idea, but not for everyone.

There will always be room for the upscale items. And, as long as DCL makes big profit from those items, it assists in keeping the rock bottom price of the cruise down. Yes, those who opt to purchase the high end stuff end up subsidizing those who don't, but that's always going to happen. Those who pay double to cruise solo are supporting those who can take advantage of the lower 3rd and 4th person rates.

Frankly, I like seeing the various options. It allows a "something for everyone" situation where if you want to drop big bucks on the extras, you can. If you don't opt to, you can still have a super cruise.

There will always be room for the upscale items. And' date=' as long as DCL makes big profit from those items, it assists in keeping the rock bottom price of the cruise down. Yes, those who opt to purchase the high end stuff end up subsidizing those who don't, but that's always going to happen. Those who pay double to cruise solo are supporting those who can take advantage of the lower 3rd and 4th person rates.

Frankly, I like seeing the various options. It allows a "something for everyone" situation where if you want to drop big bucks on the extras, you can. If you don't opt to, you can still have a super cruise.[/quote']

I agree with this. If it wasn't for those add-on's, DCL would feel much to mainstream for us. The ability to get a private cabana on CC, have dinner at Remy and Palo, etc. is what makes them palatable. Adding in the "extras" we pay for on DCL brings the cost to about the same as we spent on our last cruise and will spend on our next.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

We have two girls - 4 and 2.5 - and I just can't see spending this much for both to attend. YIKES! We could even afford it but I guess I have a "cheap" gene that won't even let me consider it. LOL. I don't think I'd be ok with doing it if I had just one daughter. I just can't imagine.

We have two girls - 4 and 2.5 - and I just can't see spending this much for both to attend. YIKES! We could even afford it but I guess I have a "cheap" gene that won't even let me consider it. LOL. I don't think I'd be ok with doing it if I had just one daughter. I just can't imagine.

And you certainly won't be in the minority if you choose to not do this event. There may be 10% of the age appropriate kids on the ship who do it. Similarly, you can buy a princess dress after Halloween and/or make one...or you can drop hundreds at the BippidyBoppidy Boutique. Either way, you and your girls will have a great cruise!

There is PLENTY to do on the ship without opting for the extra paid stuff.

I personally would NEVER pay that much for such a thing. Wow! I've seen how much those people are paying in BBB on board though, so some people will book it no matter the price. Those little girls do seem to be in heaven though when they come out of that shop. :D

Please spend money though. I own stock. :o LOL

My kid's smile is priceless. We save lots of other ways, all year. I'd never pay for BBB, lol. But the Tea thing, yeah, I talked with dh and he thinks it's great since they get the jewelry box and charm bracelet. DD would have to want it though, and be a bit older.

Oh, and yes, my kid has a few princess dresses thanks to Walgreen after Halloween! They wanted them GONE!