Curse of the $2 Bill... REALLY!?!

Cruznjuly

I'm personally a big fan of the $2 Bill, if anyone here doesn't like $2 Bills, you can send them to me for no charge! Ha!

I can understand why it might be a bit more difficult to use in an international setting and probably wouldn't use them to tip unless you are a big crusader for the $2 Bill.

so part of the tour was to stop by a bank. i think the tour bus driver would have thought the first one was cute and kept it. just like i have kept 2 of all currency from other countries up to the USA equivalent of 10.00

No we did not stop by a bank. The driver told me that a few years before someone tipped him using the $2 bill. He then made a special trip to go to his bank to deposit it (the foreign currency) and they refused to take it. Now that tip is worthless. It's great that YOU like to collect money from other countries while on vacation. A little self involved to think everyone else in the world feels the same way. The driver was expecting cash not a souvenir. That's what he works for. He, after all, he wasn't on vacation. He was working for money.

If you read my original post, it's that I have a bunch of $2 bills in my possession, not that I wanted to use them for no reason.

TY to the people for the bank suggestion... Yes I realize I can do that.

The reason I was asking for personal experience as opposed to anecdotes is because I was really trying to understand if this is a true issue or one of those many cruising urban legends.

You mean you didn't want to be told 15 times on the same thread to take them to the bank and cash them in? Hard to understand.

Speaking only for myself.....

I would be offended to be put into that circumstance and would politely decline both. I would find that demeaning and insulting....

but that is just me.

Hope your job doesnt rely on tips or that you interact with the public in a fun relaxed atmosphere.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

That customer sounds like a real jerk- FWIW.

You mean you didn't want to be told 15 times on the same thread to take them to the bank and cash them in? Hard to understand.

And yet, OP has not said, OK, I'll take them to the bank. As has been proven by this thread, they are a problem, even here in the US. Just pay in normal bills, do everyone a favor. :confused:

No we did not stop by a bank. The driver told me that a few years before someone tipped him using the $2 bill. He then made a special trip to go to his bank to deposit it (the foreign currency) and they refused to take it. Now that tip is worthless. It's great that YOU like to collect money from other countries while on vacation. A little self involved to think everyone else in the world feels the same way. The driver was expecting cash not a souvenir. That's what he works for. He, after all, he wasn't on vacation. He was working for money.

Oh wow here I thought most banks would have a database of world currancy. Or have some sort of access to valid currencies. My bad for thinking that we were in a digital age. Self involved I like that. And I guess it isnt self involved thinking others wouldnt want to collect different things.

Thanks for helping me prove my point. If you read the article the reason he was detained wasnt because of the 2.00 bill but that they thought someone had counterfeited a 2.00 bill. The validity of the 2.00 bill wasnt questioned just if those were real or counterfeits.

That customer sounds like a real jerk- FWIW.

And yet, OP has not said, OK, I'll take them to the bank. As has been proven by this thread, they are a problem, even here in the US. Just pay in normal bills, do everyone a favor. :confused:

Except for a 10 year period the 2.00 bill has been in circulation since 1862. What makes it be a normal bill or not.

I have no problem when a register clerk hands me change. :)

Considering that these bills were first introduced in 1862, I doubt your observation has any validity. After 150 years, they still aren't well liked. It's not like the American public didn't have time to get used to them.

A much larger reason they aren't preferred today is that cash registers do not have a separate compartment for $2 bills, which causes additional handling for these infrequently used bills when used to purchase items.

and the clerk would have to make sure the $2 bill is under one stack of the bills in the register to make sure the bill doesn't get used to make change. This will be after we have to get out the pen we used to check for counterfeit money.

Every time one of these threads pop up, I'm reminded of my late mother-in-law. She would love to give $50 bills to members of her family for birthday presents. Well meaning, but that meant 1) she had to make a trip to the bank to get the bill, and 2) the recipient has to make a special trip to the bank to exchange it for usable currency.

Now just think of the crew member who has a limited amount of free time who now has to wait in a line to exchange the bill. If you (any readers of this thread -- I think the OP has a handle on this now) still think it's a good idea after reading the posts on this thread, you just aren't getting it.

and the clerk would have to make sure the $2 bill is under one stack of the bills in the register to make sure the bill doesn't get used to make change. This will be after we have to get out the pen we used to check for counterfeit money.

Every time one of these threads pop up' date=' I'm reminded of my late mother-in-law. She would love to give $50 bills to members of her family for birthday presents. Well meaning, but that meant 1) she had to make a trip to the bank to get the bill, and 2) the recipient has to make a special trip to the bank to exchange it for usable currency.

Now just think of the crew member who has a limited amount of free time who now has to wait in a line to exchange the bill. If you (any readers of this thread -- I think the OP has a handle on this now) still think it's a good idea after reading the posts on this thread, you just aren't getting it.[/quote']

I am a glutton for punishment. First cash drawers lift out and you can put bills or checks underneath or put the bills in the slot for the checks. Really it is cost prohibitive to counterfit 2.00 bills and if you check them with your pen do you also check 1.00 bills.

I use 50.00 bills several times a year. Mostly I use crefit cards but when I use cash I have gotten 50.00 from the bank without asking for them. And I have never had anyone question the validy of my 50.00 bill or my 2.00 bill. Crew members have down time and when it is convenient for them they could go to their contact person and have the monies deposited into their accounts with the rest of their tips thay have gotten or do you think they keep 1000's of 1.00 bills on them until their 9 month contract is up. But then maybe I am just not getting it.

Eat more BACON

Oh wow here I thought most banks would have a database of world currancy. Or have some sort of access to valid currencies. My bad for thinking that we were in a digital age. Self involved I like that. And I guess it isnt self involved thinking others wouldnt want to collect different things.

Foreign banks are under no obligation to take other country's currencies. Go take a roll of US quarters into a bank in Canada. They won't take it. Take a roll of Canadian quarters into a bank in the US. They won't take it.

The guy was WORKING. He was not on vacation. Do you work for something to collect - other then money? They were paying him. It was income. I work to pay bills, not collect money from other countries that I can't use. So when you go to work next week and I give you a bunch of cute shot glasses instead of money, you're okay with that? When you make your car payment, you can just send them some cute shot glasses instead of usable currency.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Foreign banks are under no obligation to take other country's currencies. Go take a roll of US quarters into a bank in Canada. They won't take it. Take a roll of Canadian quarters into a bank in the US. They won't take it.

The guy was WORKING. He was not on vacation. Do you work for something to collect - other then money? They were paying him. It was income. I work to pay bills, not collect money from other countries that I can't use. So when you go to work next week and I give you a bunch of cute shot glasses instead of money, you're okay with that? When you make your car payment, you can just send them some cute shot glasses instead of usable currency.

Useable currancy. Yes a roll of quarters can be exchanged at Canada or USA banks. But like every country you MIGHT have to pay a conversion fee. That is for ANY valid donimation. I have had to convert USA monies into pounds yen marks and a few other when I ran out of travelers checks. Last I checked a shot glass was not LEGAL TENDER in ANY country. If you can list a country that they are legal tender in then by all means yes send them to me and I will take them to my bank and convert then to USA currancy. But hey call your cruise ship ask what country all the crew is from and go to your bank and convert your monies to their currancy no problems. No worries.

Eat more BACON

Thanks for helping me prove my point. If you read the article the reason he was detained wasnt because of the 2.00 bill but that they thought someone had counterfeited a 2.00 bill. The validity of the 2.00 bill wasnt questioned just if those were real or counterfeits.

If it was 100 sequential dollar bills or 5 dollar bills would the same thing have happened?

The point of all this is even in the US they are unusual. So the repeat issue is who is the $2 bill for? to reward those who worked hard for you on the ship or make some stupid point for your self. You have the power to use $2 bills the issue is should you. Some posters already have pointed out for some people they have become impossible to get rid of.

Do what you want just don't think it because you want to reward the workers, you want to reward your own ego.

Useable currancy. Yes a roll of quarters can be exchanged at Canada or USA banks. But like every country you MIGHT have to pay a conversion fee. That is for ANY valid donimation. I have had to convert USA monies into pounds yen marks and a few other when I ran out of travelers checks. Last I checked a shot glass was not LEGAL TENDER in ANY country. If you can list a country that they are legal tender in then by all means yes send them to me and I will take them to my bank and convert then to USA currancy. But hey call your cruise ship ask what country all the crew is from and go to your bank and convert your monies to their currancy no problems. No worries.

Eat more BACON

generally the conversion fee for coins if they accept them at all is 50% surcharge. and I thought Foster's was legal tender in Australia. and in many US jails cans of sardines are the medium of exchange(really)

Edited by smeyer418

The OP has stated that he/she was already aware they could be exchanged at a U.S. bank.

$2 bills are legal tender, and thus are "normal". So are $50 and $100 bills, but some places don't like to accept them. Too bad, the rules of commerce say they are a legal medium of exchange. The times I have paid with large denominations, I always ask if they can change it first. Almost always, they oblige if they can and shove the bill under the cash drawer. Piece of cake.

For someone to refuse or question a gratuity for this reason is, to me, baffling. The customer is under no obligation to tip at all. If you're working on a ship (or anywhere) that uses U.S. currency as a medium of exchange, it seems to me a matter of self interest to get acquainted with the different denominations of it.

For someone to refuse or question a gratuity for this reason is, to me, baffling. The customer is under no obligation to tip at all. If you're working on a ship (or anywhere) that uses U.S. currency as a medium of exchange, it seems to me a matter of self interest to get acquainted with the different denominations of it.

Yes, you are correct that the customer is under no obligation to tip at all (unless they are a decent person). However, if you are "rewarding" a person with a tip, presumably you are doing so for that person's benefit, not yours. Why not extend that generosity and make it as easy for that person to use the tip you give them. By giving them unusual currency, you have now complicated that person's routine. You have in essence minimized that reward to some extent.

And using your reasoning that the crew should be be the ones responsible for dealing with unusual currency, then why not just give the crew their tips in whatever random currency you may have accumulated during your travels. Give them your left over yen, pounds, rubles, dinars, pesos, florins, rupees, bolivianos, francs, birs, kronas, drams, etc. Let the crew you are "rewarding" deal with the currency you no longer want.

Edited by boogs

Yes, you are correct that the customer is under no obligation to tip at all (unless they are a decent person). However, if you are "rewarding" a person with a tip, presumably you are doing so for that person's benefit, not yours. Why not extend that generosity and make it as easy for that person to use the tip you give them. By giving them unusual currency, you have now complicated that person's routine. You have in essence minimized that reward to some extent.

Agree with you. It would be far easier for me to tip in Canadian currency but that might not be convenient for the ships' personnel. While our currency is quite colourful it might be a pain in the beaver tail for the recipients to actually use it. ;)

I hardly think that a boliviano is equivalent to U.S. legal tender in terms of difficulty of use or exchange, regardless of denomination on most cruises and in most other places.

I reiterate: if you expect to be paid in a specific currency and in cash, then you ought to familiarize yourself with the denominations. I also don't agree that a $2 bill is all that unusual, nor $1 coins. I have been given change in $1 coins from some vending machines.

Now, having said all of that, I must confess that I have never, so far as I can remember, used a $2 bill to tip. I think I may have used $1 coins without incident. But if that's what I had in my wallet, I'd give it without a second thought.

If having a $2 bill in your pocket is such a terrible burden, I'm sure there are people that will gladly change it or charities that will accept it as a donation.

If having a $2 bill in your pocket is such a terrible burden, I'm sure there are people that will gladly change it or charities that will accept it as a donation.

No one said it was a burden to have it in their pocket, it's an unnecessary burden for the crew to have to deal with it.

For all intents and purpose, the US $2 bill and $1 coins are novelty acts...few have actually seen them, rarely circulate, and most that do find their way into dusty dresser drawers as "collectibles". Current series $2 bills are hardly rare or collectible; billions of $1 coins currently reside in bank vaults, uncirculated and unloved.

In another forum I frequent, a suggestion was made to the effect that "if you want to be remembered, leave a $2 bill as a tip". Yes, I agree, if one wants to be remembered, that's the way to go, but not necessarily remembered in a partcularly favorable light.

If the purpose of the tip is to reward good service and to curry favor with the bartender/server in future dealings (after all, isn't that why we tip generously?), why would one deliberately want to make that individual's life that much more difficult?

No one said it was a burden to have it in their pocket, it's an unnecessary burden for the crew to have to deal with it.

I guess the crew are delicate uneducated unintelligent individuals who would become completely baffled when given a 2.00 bill that they would be stumped and not know how to take it along with the rest of their tips to to pay for their on board expenses or to deposit them into their bank account.

Myself I think they are smarter than you think. And for my own curiosity I am going to do something really strange. I am going to ASK. And I know full well no matter of the answer the great 2.00 debate will continue.

Eat more BACON