"Live from" Queen Elizabeth to the Mediterannean! My First Cunard Experience

lovely_serenity

After meeting up with my parents, we headed to breakfast. Here’s the view from my table:

12783213733_1073527b72_b.jpg

Mom’s tea:

12783116675_db924fb086_b.jpg

Here was the Smoothie of the Day, it consisted of Apricot and Banana. It was delicious:

12783214833_3d160406fc_b.jpg

I highly recommend that you have a smoothie every day, as they’re delicious and always vary.

Same menus as always:

11912939544_43d83e39a0_b.jpg

11912481155_ac53aaf12d_b.jpg

First to arrive was Mom’s Fresh Melon Platter:

12783216063_8b415112d3_b.jpg

Edited by lovely_serenity

Then came my Golden Waffles with Fresh Fruit Kebab:

12783223283_5b40b00f82_b.jpg

I found the smaller portions quite nice, a good size. Something we noticed was the fact that everything seems healthier on board (perhaps in order to preserve their demographic crowd LOL).

Dad had his Omelette and Streaky Bacon:

12783538594_c67bde52af_b.jpg

Mom had an Egg Sunny-side up, some Corned Beef Hash and a Cumberland Sausage:

12783218593_b9a2733aec_b.jpg

Sis had an Omelette, as well as Sautéed Mushrooms, a Cumberland Sausage, Streaky Bacon and Corned Beef Hash:

12783113625_96ba9b3a9d_b.jpg

And I got an order of Smoked Salmon with a side of Hash Brown & English Bacon (..ham):

12783112255_69fe32db31_b.jpg

While we were enjoying our breakfast starches, there was a sudden announcement by Captain Christopher Wells. As he was speaking, you could pretty much get the gist of what he was leading up to. Katakolon was cancelled. :( Due to bad weather and strong winds, the ship could not safely dock, and we would therefore be skipping this port and having a sea day instead. (Something interesting I noticed: All important announcements were translated from English to German, to French, and then Japanese.)

*An irrelevant note that I just recalled: the on board currency used is USD$

After enjoying out meals, I decided to explore with the free time I had that day (I was wearing my Katakolon clothes >_>) since it had morphed into a Sea day. I was actually really disappointed, as I had planned on visiting one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World: The Statue of Zeus at Olympia (basically Katakolon, it’s like 10 minutes away). But I guess not.

I ran around and explored by myself while everyone else did their own thing. We would meet back at the cabin prior to lunchtime. I first checked out the deck next to the Lido (after checking if there was anything interesting to eat at the buffet).

12783226793_db301f68a5_b.jpg

12783130045_5a2b3689e0_b.jpg

I passed by the Garden Lounge (which was quite filled after everyone heard about the port cancellation):

12783549564_55a720e837_b.jpg

(You can see that many people are wearing jeans because they were expecting to be running around off the ship.)

And then headed outside to see how full the pool area was:

12783128625_3e8c66d65c_b.jpg

12783230123_66fd9ce99d_b.jpg

As you can see, I had to climb up this set of stairs to get those shots. This is when I noticed some weird platform to my right. I went to investigate:

12783556984_72f8850e76_b.jpg

12783126045_465464233e_b.jpg

Lo and behold, it’s the giant chess set! I’ve been looking for you! :D

12783123015_ffdd08ef4c_b.jpg

I then noticed how great a view I had from this high up spot.

12783554464_3814d32470_b.jpg

12783585404_7089f5e3ce_b.jpg

12783153605_9a62a59e0f_b.jpg

I also realized that this would be the perfect opportunity to check out the sports facilities I’ve heard so much about! *heads toward that end of the ship* (To be honest, I was wondering where I could get a good shot of the sun from the front of the ship, so I just headed forward LOL)

12783132985_c901c13dfe_b.jpg

Oo look! The croquet area! (This was actually something I had thought sounded really cool and fancy LOL)

12783261663_48733c3f81_b.jpg

Edited by lovely_serenity

Sarah I was just about to ask you about Katacolon as we are there in July only to later read the port was cancelled! I think QE is also going to be tendered there when are there too from memory (we will be on the Celebrity Equinox).

Sarah I was just about to ask you about Katacolon as we are there in July only to later read the port was cancelled! I think QE is also going to be tendered there when are there too from memory (we will be on the Celebrity Equinox).

Haha, I'm sorry for the disappointment ^^" I was really looking forward to it.. .___. Well, on the bright side, none of the other ports got cancelled! :P I recall it was apparently unsafe to dock, that's why :/ At the next port we tendered there!

p.s. Have fun on your July cruise (:

Sarah, I'm glad you have been posting more of your photos. Besides bringing back happy memories to those of us who have travelled on the Queen Elizabeth, they will be of considerable assistance to people unfamiliar with Cunard. Please continue to do so and ignore the grouches.

I can't understand why people don't just ignore the postings that don't interest them. I do that all the time. There was a thread about dancing that had about 1300 responses. As dancing is of no interest to me I didn't read a single one of them. The same applies to postings about bringing alcohol on board or the music in the QM2's G-32. I don't complain about these posts, I just ignore them. Besides I have other interests other than ships and I couldn't possibly read everything about everything.

After meeting up with my parents, we headed to breakfast. Here’s the view from my table:

12783213733_1073527b72_b.jpg

Would you like to see a photo of your table taken from across the room? Kind of like the photo you took, only the camera was turned on you and your tablemates <00> Nice clear photo of the faces?

Edited by Salacia

Haha, I'm sorry for the disappointment ^^" I was really looking forward to it.. .___. Well, on the bright side, none of the other ports got cancelled! :P I recall it was apparently unsafe to dock, that's why :/ At the next port we tendered there!

p.s. Have fun on your July cruise (:

Thanks Sarah. But I'm on QM2 for 23 nights first, starting tomorrow. A year of cruises for me. :)

Hi Sarah

Loved your blog, very informative, funny and well written. I especially enjoyed the info on Rome as we will be going there in May after our transatlantic cruise.

I noted that you will be going on a Disney cruise soon and wanted to let you know that the Mickey ice cream bars you took a picture of in Rome are available on the ship, at least it was when we sailed twice several years ago. They are on the kids menu. Just ask your server for the Mickey head ice cream bar or ask for a kids menu. You can also order off the kids menu if you see something on there you would like to eat. Good luck with that and happy cruising.

Would you like to see a photo of your table taken from across the room? Kind of like the photo you took, only the camera was turned on you and your tablemates <00> Nice clear photo of the faces?

Sarah, you are doing a great job. I love your review. However, I must agree with Salacia. You have never posted a picture of yourself or your family. You show your sister's hands using her computer, the back of your parents,etc. Please extend the same privacy to others that you are imposing on your self. I do not belong to Facebook or any other social media, I have never posted a picture of myself or my husband on cruise critic, etc. I would be extremely upset to see a picture of my family or myself posted by a stranger.

You are doing an excellent job, keep up the good work.

Sarah, you are doing a great job. I love your review. However, I must agree with Salacia. You have never posted a picture of yourself or your family. You show your sister's hands using her computer, the back of your parents,etc. Please extend the same privacy to others that you are imposing on your self. I do not belong to Facebook or any other social media, I have never posted a picture of myself or my husband on cruise critic, etc. I would be extremely upset to see a picture of my family or myself posted by a stranger.

You are doing an excellent job, keep up the good work.

My apologies, I will try to be more careful next time. Thank you for pointing that out! (I will try my best to avoid pictures such as these in my future posts) :)

Sarah, I'm glad you have been posting more of your photos. Besides bringing back happy memories to those of us who have travelled on the Queen Elizabeth, they will be of considerable assistance to people unfamiliar with Cunard. Please continue to do so and ignore the grouches.

I can't understand why people don't just ignore the postings that don't interest them. I do that all the time. There was a thread about dancing that had about 1300 responses. As dancing is of no interest to me I didn't read a single one of them. The same applies to postings about bringing alcohol on board or the music in the QM2's G-32. I don't complain about these posts, I just ignore them. Besides I have other interests other than ships and I couldn't possibly read everything about everything.

Thank you for taking the time to read it! :) && I most definitely agree. I feel like people should read only the threads that they like and are interested in, it just makes everything better overall LOL.

Sarah - I am enjoying your review so much that when it is over, I will have to read your other two reviews! Keep up the good work and ignore the grumpy folks. You are better than they are.

I am very happy to hear that! Thank you for taking the time to read my reviews (: I'll work very hard!

Hi Sarah

Loved your blog, very informative, funny and well written. I especially enjoyed the info on Rome as we will be going there in May after our transatlantic cruise.

I noted that you will be going on a Disney cruise soon and wanted to let you know that the Mickey ice cream bars you took a picture of in Rome are available on the ship, at least it was when we sailed twice several years ago. They are on the kids menu. Just ask your server for the Mickey head ice cream bar or ask for a kids menu. You can also order off the kids menu if you see something on there you would like to eat. Good luck with that and happy cruising.

Haha, thank you very much! I hope my pre-cruise report will be helpful when you begin planning for your Rome trip (:

I have actually sailed Disney once before and researched it extensively. When I was in my Disney craze, I had learned things such as the fact that Mickey ice cream bars were only available on the cruise line and the parks. This is why I was so excited to find this box of ice cream bars on land! :) Thanks, though! I will definitely eat one in your stead :D

Sarah, I don't post much, but I do read a lot, and I have to say that your reviews are some of my favorites, right up there with Gambee and Sailor Jack.

Keep up the good work!

Aw, thank you! (: I am so humbled to be added into part of your list (I love those reviews too!). Thank you very much for reading my review!