Sea of Cortez Dec. 2013

dontworry

just got word that this cruise will now not be stopping at Topolobampo but rather will be stopping at Mazatlan instead. Anyone who had plans there,such as Copper Canyon will be very disappointed. Too bad.

That is disappointing because Copper Canyon is one of those out of the way opportunities that seldom comes by unless you are in the area.

We found we liked Mazatlan best of all on our Mexican Riviera cruise so all is not totally lost. But it will be very different change of pace after expecting to get to Copper Canyon. Did they tell you why this was cancelled - hope it is not for safety concerns again now that cruise ships are dipping their toes back into this part of Mexico.

They did a wonderful restoration of the Centro Historico in Mazatlan and there are/were tantalizing restaurants and shops in this area which is also walkable from the ship if you like to stroll on your own. However, this part of town may have suffered disproportionately after the cruise ships left, so I hope it is a welcoming as it was when we were there a few years ago. The large covered public market is also in this area and a great place to pick up a Santa piñata. https://www.google.com/search?q=centro+historico+mazatlan&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=MhyRUv7GDZTWoAT1_4KABA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=614

And the excursions to Stone Island in Mazatlan get high marks which is also close by the ship too, either on your own on on a shore excursion. Plus Pacifico beer, brewed in Mazatlan has to be the best in Mexico in our opinion. Hope you can enjoy this change of events and the rest of the Sea Of Cortez, esp Loreto.

Edited by OlsSalt

DH keeps an eye on Mexican news. He told me that one of the Sinaloan drug lords' sons was just arrested in the US. So possibly there are fears about retribution?

Uh, oh. Back to my Mexican geography - which ports are in Sinaloa -- and where might he take revenge? :eek:

Arrested at the AZ border. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-sinaloa-cartel-kingpin-son-arrest-20131122,0,5346318.story#axzz2lWLj3azu

Edited by OlsSalt

"Back to my Mexican geography - which ports are in Sinaloa?"

Mazatlan

Topolobampo is also in Sinaloa. Topo is very near Los Mochis, and the last time the narcos went on a nighttime rampage in Los Mochis, the local police had to retreat to the police station for safety, as they were outgunned and outmanned. It was a very good thing the drug people were just blowing off steam, and not intent on harm.