NCL insurance question please cancellations for medical reaons

ladybugpug

My family of 6 is booked for December 14. My daughter is very sick and her and I might need to stay behind and the rest of the family go on without us. She would have a medical excuse not to go but I wouldn't. I purchased the NCL insurance for all of us. If her and I can't go, will I get my money back? Also we would now need only one room and not two.

I would call NCL but I'm so upset right now I can't even talk on the phone coherently.

I am very sorry you are going through this, I would call and talk with them. If her doctor writes a note that due to her illness she needs you to stay with her then it will be covered. And by "need" it includes emotional support as well as physical care taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family of 6 is booked for December 14. My daughter is very sick and her and I might need to stay behind and the rest of the family go on without us. She would have a medical excuse not to go but I wouldn't. I purchased the NCL insurance for all of us. If her and I can't go, will I get my money back? Also we would now need only one room and not two.

I would call NCL but I'm so upset right now I can't even talk on the phone coherently.

So sorry you're going through this, but you can only deal with this over the phone. I know it's not going to be easy, but you're a mother and all mothers have such an inner strength that we can do what many think is the impossible.

Call NCL as soon as possible and get this resolved as best you can and your daughter is the most important thing in all of this and she will thank for you for being there for her.

A year and a half ago my husband's father needed gallbladder surgery six weeks prior to our cruise to Bermuda aboard the Star. No problem, we thought. Wrong. He developed complications and was in the hospital much longer than we'd thought. He came home two days before the cruise but was way too weak to go. For a while we thought we would have to stay behind with him, but ultimately we went and only he stayed. We were so thankful we had bought insurance.

He got all his money back. Norwegian told us we would have too had we not gone. Both the cruise line and the insurance company were pleasant and a dream to work with. I'm not sure if Norwegian uses the same company now, but then it was Berkely. It may even be Norwegian's company. The thing is, it was easy. There were a couple of forms to fill out. One was a trip cancellation form. The other was an attending physician's statement.

We did all of the paperwork after the cruise. But do call Norwegian and the insurance company before you go. Getting the answers to all your questions will put your mind at ease. You'll want that so you can put your energy instead into taking care of your daughter.

Sending good thoughts your way that all will go well!

I would bet the insurance covers both of you, as you are the caregiver for your daughter (especially if she is still a minor or dependent living at home).

I think the policy covers cancellation due to illness of immediate family members.

Edited by emcelh

Depending on the age of your other kids, you husband may need some sort of notarized letter from you authorizing him to take them out of the country without you present. This is something I have no familiarity with but a question that someone else surely can help on.

Had to cancel a cruise due to husband having pneumonia. I called our PCC, she took care of everything including getting the forms to us. Reimbursed completely for both of us. Only disappointment was we had finally got an aft balcony on Deck 10 on the Jewel and didn't get to use it.:(

My husband spoke with NCL. They assured him that with a doctor note from my daughter's physician that we would get a full refund. We are hoping to maybe shoot for the January 1-10 cruise. I figured he and the other kids would just go on the booked cruise but he said that it is a family cruise and if we all don't go..then none of us go. The other kids are all understanding.

Thank you all for your info and advice and good thoughts. Having a sick child is the worst. Cruising right now is at the very bottom of my priority list. I'm hoping that the whole family can enjoy our next cruise soon!!