Cruise on 12/15/13 - where to stay

Travelgirl6

Would love some advice, thoughts and opinions. We are driving in from Ohio and trying to decide where to stay and how to experience some of the city on little time. If we park at pier we will already have $35/day parking involved but then staying somewhere in the area so we could walk around and take in the sights will add another $400 at least. I'm considering park and cruise in New Jersey and think we could do car service to port in the morning, but wonder about how convenient and cost of public transportation the day before to come into the city for some sightseeing. Since hotels in Manhattan seem to be on high side for the 14th thought about vrbo, has anyone ever used vrbo for something in that area. Sailing on NCL Breakaway out of Manhattan pier 88.

Edited by Travelgirl6

The $35 a day at the pier is only for the duration of the cruise. The parking is not open prior to your cruise.

NYC is expensive this time of year. What time do you expect to get in to the NYC area? How much time will you have before you board your ship?

Please post back with more details about your schedule and number of people and whether you can manage your luggage.

I don't think vrbo will work for you well in this area.

Depending on your timing, I see several options for you to not stay in Manhattan. One would be a park/sleep near Newark airport and the other would be a hotel in the Secaucus area planning to park at Port Imperial for $13/day and taking the ferry across to Manhattan. If you plan to arrive in the area Friday night, another option could be to Hotwire a hotel in the Parsipanny/Morristown area on Friday night and drive into the city for the day on Saturday. Saturday night you could stay in the city, stay in Secaucus, or do a park sleep in Newark.

Another consideration is how fast you want to get on the road at the end of the cruise.

Bottom line - it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

I'm guessing we would arrive early Saturday afternoon. Thought if we could arrive on Friday, vrbo could be an option for a two night stay. I realize that I would be only parking at port while we are on cruise, but just trying to keep in mind that cost. There will be 4 of us and we would each have one large suitcase. I feel we don't have much time to really experience much and would almost rather come back another time, but I am out voted. So I am trying figure out a way to stay and experience a little while we are there, but keep the cost reasonable. We would pretty much like to get on the road and head home after the cruise so having car at port would be nice, but if we do park and cruise we would add a little time getting back to car which wouldn't be huge problem.

NYC hotel rates are insane for your dates.

I would look at Hyatt Place in Secaucus first because folks have reported being able to leave their cars there for the duration of a cruise even though they don't offer a formal park/sleep. You could take the bus in and out of NYC on Saturday and then a car service to and from the pier with your luggage.

Another option would be Homewood Suites in Edgewater where you could take the bus into NY on Saturday and park at Port Imperial for the duration of the cruise.

If you want to park at Port Imperial, then any hotel in Secaucus that has good NYC bus service (you have to check that before you book) or any hotel in the Newport Area of Jersey City (more expensive but Path access to Manhattan) would work for you.

Parking at Port Imperial is $13/day and the ferry fare is $9/pp, so that will cost you at least $176-more if you take a cab from the ferry to the pier instead of walking.

When I drove from Ohio, I stayed at the Sheraton in Secaucus. We got there thursday evening and used friday as our NYC day. My dd and I took the train into NYC and it was easy peasy. The hotel offered a complimentary shuttle to/from the train station. The morning of the cruise we drove to the port (Cape Liberty) and parked. Walked off the ship, got our luggage and drove off...so easy and nice to not have to wait for shuttles (or airplanes).