What's happening with the Epic (bad reviews)?

MiniJeffrey

Too bad - - there's been a decent small-combo jazz band on most cruises we've taken. On a ship as big as the Epic, there ought to be a jazz band; a country/country-rock/alternative-country band; and some kind of a classical music outfit to suit that many passengers' different musical tastes. In fact, I'm always amazed that, at least on the dozen or so cruises we've taken, that there is almost never even a mildly country-flavored band on board. Folk singer with a guitar? Check. Pop-Rock guy or girl with a guitar? Check. Latin music singer or duo? Check. Pianist? Check. But little to no country of any kind. Not complaints, just observations.

BUT...having said all that I'm looking forward to the Epic after hearing about Tiffygirl's reports and the new blues-rock band.

you are right...never heard country band on cruise...except in karoke the entire week....lol

so now instead of hearing the sounds of slot machines and off key, note impaired bad country singers...you hear slots and jimmy Hendrix's twin playing the guitar/bass/electric...he switches up...and his drummer and then somebody on the organ(that was the last night) it was hot!!

he has a CD..so you can probably youtube him.

im hoping on the getaway they do add a jazz band but we shall see....

Edited by tiffygirl

you are right...never heard country band on cruise...except in karoke the entire week....lol

so now instead of hearing the sounds of slot machines and off key, note impaired bad country singers...you hear slots and jimmy Hendrix's twin playing the guitar/bass/electric...he switches up...and his drummer and then somebody on the organ(that was the last night) it was hot!!

he has a CD..so you can probably youtube him.

im hoping on the getaway they do add a jazz band but we shall see....

Just you tubed him - he's there. Lots of clips actually. I'm looking forward to seeing him even more now:D:D

NCL, if you are reading this thread - thank you, thank you, thank you for listening to us and utilizing Fat Cats in a proper way again!!!!!

Just you tubed him - he's there. Lots of clips actually. I'm looking forward to seeing him even more now:D:D

NCL, if you are reading this thread - thank you, thank you, thank you for listening to us and utilizing Fat Cats in a proper way again!!!!!

im glad you found him! :D:DI hope they keep him for awhile!!!

Wait . . . what??!!

That sounds fun.

Never experienced that on EPIC (or any of the other NCL ships)

Going on EPIC #5 in a few weeks, and will certainly look for that. Thanks a bunch for the heads-up. Finding something new on that ship each and every time. :)

On the Epic, they always have 4 pizzas available every day. Cheese, Pepperoni, and Goat Cheese were available and then a specialty pizza that changed every day. I remember sailaway was a meat pizza that was excellent. I also remember the buffalo chicken pizza, a spinach and something pizza, and pizza hawaii (ham and pineapple).

There are a couple of problems with access to pizza. The pizza on the buffet was good but there are many hours when the buffet is not open. The do have pizza in the Italian Restaurant (La Cucina) but you have to pay the specialty restaurant price to get access to it. Never tried the pizza delivery as the only options available was Cheese, Pepperoni, and Veggie........that's it. So, when you can get access to pizza, it's good, it's just the access that's hard.

The pizza at the buffet was available from approx. 11:30am ish till close at 11-12midnight - on the transatlantics anyway. enough access for me.

The pizza at the buffet was available from approx. 11:30am ish till close at 11-12midnight - on the transatlantics anyway. enough access for me.

Never did a TA. On the Eastern Caribbean, it was open from 1130-1500 and then 1700-2130. Not enough access time for me.

I was on the same cruise as Tiffygirl. LOVED the Bart Walker Band. Bought the last CD he had. Bart told me they are on the Epic until February.

The BEST show was the last night of the cruise. Many musicians from other venues/bands on the ship joining in and jamming, including Mike from Howl at the Moon on keyboards (great voice as well), Jim Capik the guitarist from Maltings on harp (very, very good), and Steve (I think) the music director from Blue Man Group sitting in on bass for one set.

There were very few passengers by the time they were winding down, mostly crew members & entertainers. It was a great show and one of the best I have seen on a cruise ship.

Fat Cats is a great venue, except for lousy seating.

Edited by BBT

I've sailed on the Epic and loved it. O'Sheenans, the Wii Wall, Blue Man Group etc

I liked enough that I'm going again.

It like any cruise will have its negative nancies.

So if someone doesn't fall in love with a ship that you love for valid reasons, they are "negative nancies"? Whatever. :rolleyes:

I was on the same cruise as Tiffygirl. LOVED the Bart Walker Band. Bought the last CD he had. Bart told me they are on the Epic until February.

The BEST show was the last night of the cruise. Many musicians from other venues/bands on the ship joining in and jamming, including Mike from Howl at the Moon on keyboards (great voice as well), Jim Capik the guitarist from Maltings on harp (very, very good), and Steve (I think) the music director from Blue Man Group sitting in on bass for one set.

There were very few passengers by the time they were winding down, mostly crew members & entertainers. It was a great show and one of the best I have seen on a cruise ship.

Fat Cats is a great venue, except for lousy seating.

(1) Wow...Bart Walker just started on the Epic on the Jan. 4, 2014 cruise, didn't he? I'm assuming that "end of January" means that Bart Walker will be on the Jan 25 - Feb 2nd cruise. I'd think NCL would contract with a band for more than a single month, if only to save on logistics and paperwork.

Any word about the replacement band?

(2) What was "lousy" about the Fat Cats seating? Uncomfortable chairs? Poor sight lines?

(1) Wow...Bart Walker just started on the Epic on the Jan. 4, 2014 cruise, didn't he? I'm assuming that "end of January" means that Bart Walker will be on the Jan 25 - Feb 2nd cruise. I'd think NCL would contract with a band for more than a single month, if only to save on logistics and paperwork.

Any word about the replacement band?

(2) What was "lousy" about the Fat Cats seating? Uncomfortable chairs? Poor sight lines?

I spoke with Bart a number of times, nice guy. I'm pretty sure he told me they had been on the ship since late November. No idea who is the replacement band.

Looking at his website shows tour dates starting Feb. 28 so maybe they go into February a week or so.

My beef is with the seats. Yeah, uncomfortable for the most part. Mostly high back chairs like from a dining room, a few love seat types. Site lines at the sides might not be that great either, especially at right end of room. I was able to get seats in front most nights I went, and seemed like enough seats so as to avoid the far end of the room.

Room is good acoustically, has a good look to it too.

Edited by BBT

I spoke with Bart a number of times, nice guy. I'm pretty sure he told me they had been on the ship since late November. No idea who is the replacement band.

Looking at his website shows tour dates starting Feb. 28 so maybe they go into February a week or so.

My beef is with the seats. Yeah, uncomfortable for the most part. Mostly high back chairs like from a dining room, a few love seat types. Site lines at the sides might not be that great either, especially at right end of room. I was able to get seats in front most nights I went, and seemed like enough seats so as to avoid the far end of the room.

Room is good acoustically, has a good look to it too.

Hey Tom, I was on the sailing December 7 and unfortunately bart wasn't there. Fat cats was used for karaoke the entire cruise. In fact no music was played in fat cats the entire week. So maybe he was on vacation or came on after that sailing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Karaoke? The whole cruise? Ugh! :p What a waste. Much better as a blues/jazz lounge as envisioned and presented.

Pretty sure he said late November, but then these old ears sometimes don't hear so well after sitting up front. November sounds a lot like December. lol

Of course, Bart is a musician, and we all know how THEIR sense of time is. :D

Karaoke? The whole cruise? Ugh! :p What a waste. Much better as a blues/jazz lounge as envisioned and presented.

Pretty sure he said late November, but then these old ears sometimes don't hear so well after sitting up front. November sounds a lot like December. lol

Of course, Bart is a musician, and we all know how THEIR sense of time is. :D

Yes, bad, awful karaoke. It was torture. If my friends were not participating it would have been a lot worse. My reason for sitting through that. So I was giddy witj excited when I saw they finally got a band on Fat Cats. Slam Allan was a huge loss for the Epic but a great gain for the Breakaway. So I hope NCL will enter into a long term contract, if not with him maybe Charlie Love.

Yes, bad, awful karaoke. It was torture. If my friends were not participating it would have been a lot worse. My reason for sitting through that. So I was giddy witj excited when I saw they finally got a band on Fat Cats. Slam Allan was a huge loss for the Epic but a great gain for the Breakaway. So I hope NCL will enter into a long term contract, if not with him maybe Charlie Love.

I think the trick is to find a blues band willing to sign up for a term. Plenty of bands out there, that's for sure. Maybe there is a stigma attached to performing on a cruise ship and some artist don't want to be 'tarnished' as being a 'cruise ship performer'? Outside of a themed cruise, that is.

I thought Bart and the boys were great. Certainly was good on covers & his own material was well worth listening to. I am watching for him to return to Ottawa and will be sure to go see him & drag some friends with me. I love finding new artists.

Dunno. We were on in November and had perhaps our best cruise out of the 14 we've taken so far. The only negative was the food in the Manhattan being cold. We must be part of the silent majority that had a great time and enjoyed the ship.

Washy, washy -- happy, happy -- smiley, smiley. Those recently on Epic will get it!

Dunno. We were on in November and had perhaps our best cruise out of the 14 we've taken so far. The only negative was the food in the Manhattan being cold. We must be part of the silent majority that had a great time and enjoyed the ship.

Washy, washy -- happy, happy -- smiley, smiley. Those recently on Epic will get it!

Hahahaha. The best washy washy guy ever. I voice recorded him and made it my ring tone.

Look at my recent review, we had an awesome time again on the Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hey Tom, I was on the sailing December 7 and unfortunately bart wasn't there. Fat cats was used for karaoke the entire cruise. In fact no music was played in fat cats the entire week. So maybe he was on vacation or came on after that sailing.

Ugh... If this happens on my cruise I won't be happy... I really love Jazz and Blues and the Fat Cats Club is really one of major things I look forward to when I'm going to cruise on Epic. If the bar gets used for Karaoke only I will certainly complaint to NCL... You can't sell a Jazz-club and don't perform Jazz. Better call it the Karaoke-club then...

But offcourse I'll have to see during the cruise... Curious about it!

• 2 months later...

I'm happy to see that the reviews have been improving (a bit) for the epic. Now 3 out of 4 reviews are positive/very positive. Strange to see that for the same cruise some people give 5 stars and other give 1 star.

Still strange though that the rate at CruiseCritic still says 71% of cruisers love it . After all these great reviews I would expect it to raise a bit.

Last month I was on the Epic in a DOS for the 3rd time & would I say this time was as good as the 1st two I'd have to say no. I found service on POSH not great, I was in a leg immobilizer with a fractured knee & even though each day I started off by stopping at the bar getting a diet drink & on top of this adding a $2 dollar tip did anyone ever in that week serve me at my chair. Each time I wanted a drink had to strap the leg brace on & make the trek to bar where often 2 -3 bartenders were chatting away to the same people who were at the bar each day. I even continued to tip each time hoping they would buy a clue but I guess it was me who should have bought a clue. I found this year in Cagney's & Moderno's the staff were run off their feet so service was slow & we ate in both these places twice but the food was great. An example of the service in Moderno's was the server was cutting meat on your salad plate as no one had come around to change plates & give you your side dishes. In the end though it was still a good trip but I for sure next year will either try the Getaway or maybe the POA as I'd love to see Hawaii

Edited by dlynn0366

I was on the Epic in February, and overall it was fun, as all cruises are. The ship was very nice. But we had less than good service in the free restaurants, and the food was just average. One morning we waited an hour for our breakfast to be served and no one even said they were sorry. I am not one of the people that expects perfection, and thought it was silly for people to complain about a cruise.

When we used to cruise, before the pay restaurants and auto tips started, the food and service was great on every ship. I still expect the same service as 15 years ago but those days are gone unless you want to pay for a meal that used to be include.

I know everyone on this site loves NCL, but every person in our group of 12 said they would never cruise with NCL again! It was our fist and last time on NCL.

I was on the Epic in February, and overall it was fun, as all cruises are. The ship was very nice. But we had less than good service in the free restaurants, and the food was just average. One morning we waited an hour for our breakfast to be served and no one even said they were sorry. I am not one of the people that expects perfection, and thought it was silly for people to complain about a cruise.

When we used to cruise, before the pay restaurants and auto tips started, the food and service was great on every ship. I still expect the same service as 15 years ago but those days are gone unless you want to pay for a meal that used to be include.

I know everyone on this site loves NCL, but every person in our group of 12 said they would never cruise with NCL again! It was our fist and last time on NCL.

I've never tried Taste or Manhattan but I spoke to several people who did this past cruise & they were not impressed with the service. I did have several meals in the Epic Club & no complaints there, service was great. ....they even always provided a stool for my poor leg :) Our butler & room attendant were great; other years the concierge would usually find us in one of the specialty restaurants & ask if all was well but this year I saw him only on arrival & he used his key card to summon the elevator when I left the ship; he had a lovely assistant though who I got to make us 2 dinner reservations.