international cruise booking

DirkHK

I occasionally book my cruises in the US, UK, Brazil... always depends on where my friends tell me about a good deal. We are living in a globalized world - so this should not be an issue I thought.

Has a cruise line ever denied boarding because a proof of residency could not be presented? Just curious as I received a weird email from my travel agent....

Not sure I'm clear on the circumstances of your question.

If your question is based on residency as factor in determining a discounted or reduced rate, proof of your residency may be necessary to prove the rate was validly issued. If you cannot prove that at check in, they may charge you the difference in rate that would apply for the discount you were given. But I don't think proof of residency is required simply to book a reservation.

But in terms of the ability to board, as residency is part of the valid ID necessary to present in order to board, this would be confirmed through your passport (or other valid ID being used) in order to be allowed to board. So I would think inability to confirm your residency would deny you boarding.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I occasionally book my cruises in the US, UK, Brazil... always depends on where my friends tell me about a good deal. We are living in a globalized world - so this should not be an issue I thought.

Has a cruise line ever denied boarding because a proof of residency could not be presented? Just curious as I received a weird email from my travel agent....

If you booked a "resident rate" e.g. one that is only for California-residents (for a cruise leaving from California), then you would have to show proof of a California address in order to qualify for that rate. Typically they would want to see proof before you board.

Certainly some normal bookings might be possible via the cruise-line's website if the credit card is accepted online. Most credit cards have country-code built into the number so a certain number range could be rejected if it does not fall in the range that belongs to the country in which the cruise line operates. The other way that credit cards can be refused is because of the postal/ZIP code tied to that card.

for your replies!!

I often travel to the US and usually stay in a hotel in New York.

So when making a reservation, I use the hotel's address - but my European credit card.

There was never a problem until some days ago when I received a message from the US ta.

Please be advised that the pricing provided to you at the time of booking is for United States and Canadian residents only.

If you cannot provide a valid U.S. or Canadian address directly to the cruise line, your reservation will be subject to an International Booking Fee

I simply changed the Dutch address (I used to check in online) back to the US address. I don't think at the time of boarding the staff members of the cruise line will cause trouble...

I simply changed the Dutch address (I used to check in online) back to the US address. I don't think at the time of boarding the staff members of the cruise line will cause trouble...

....but since you have to use your passport to check in it will be clear that you are not a US or Canadian resident. And if the booking on the computer at check in indicates a special rate for that residency, they could deny that rate and charge you the difference that you would have paid otherwise.

Just saying it could happen.....

Passports don't prove residency. Drivers licenses do. Unless you have a drivers license that corresponds to your booking address, you will have trouble.

Passports do identify country of citizenship - which, to the OP's situation regarding rates based on US / Canadian resident, would serve as enough proof of residency to confirm or deny the rate. (The rate was not a specific state residency based - only US / Canadian country residency).

for your replies!!

I often travel to the US and usually stay in a hotel in New York.

So when making a reservation, I use the hotel's address - but my European credit card.

There was never a problem until some days ago when I received a message from the US ta.

Passports don't prove residency. Drivers licenses do. Unless you have a drivers license that corresponds to your booking address, you will have trouble.

Dirk, in the US one will often be asked for your Driver's Licence (card) or a State ID card (if you do not have a DL) which shows that you reside in that state as it was issued by the particular state in question only if you reside in their state. Your address will be reflected on the front of the card (definitely the case for California). For cruising:

1. A US citizen will have a US passport at check-in, so the cruise-line will not even ask for further proof of residency as they can see the person has the right to re-enter the US.

2. A foreign citizen who is a permanent resident in the US will usually need to show their Green Card and foreign passport at check-in. This would be proof that they can re-enter the US, (and that they would also qualify for the US rate).

3. Any other foreign citizen who is visiting the US would need to show their passport and some form of entry permit/visa which allows re-entry into the US for a certain period. While they may not check the rate that a person booked under, there is a chance that someone could notice it and refuse to honor the rate booked. This really comes from contracts between the cruise lines and their different in-country booking agencies.

Not to say that it will be a problem (hey we all appreciate a good discount), but like gambling it is all about (graciously) accepting the wins with the losses.