Chops Grille worth it???

Lots of good info but I am still confused. Will be on VOS May 2014. They have Chops and Portifino now. Have done Chops on JOS before.

Was thinking of doing Chops again this cruise but this thread got me thinking of alternatives. I would want the 10 oz filet. Is that what you can order from Portifino? Which steak is on the menu at Portifino?

I am hoping we can snag a table for two in MDR. I know it is not quite the atmosphere of Chops but would a Chops steak in MDR be a close experience with a two top? Not so much interested in the other Portifino selections. Thanks

We were on the Allure and the Oasis in October and ate at Chops on both ships. We found the food and service to be mediocre at best. We liked the Samba Grill, on the Allure much better. The Tuscan Grill, on Celebrity Solstice, was better than both of them.

We were on Allure last month. I was not impressed with my almost flavorless filet in Chops and the music was so loud, I had trouble hearing the waiter. We were directly under a sound system speaker.The rest of my food was great including the mud pie and the service was excellent. I did like Samba and Giovanni's better. As a Portifino fan, I was OK with Giovanni's as a replacement. You're right about Tuscan. A much better dining experience altogether.

Lots of good info but I am still confused. Will be on VOS May 2014. They have Chops and Portifino now. Have done Chops on JOS before.

Was thinking of doing Chops again this cruise but this thread got me thinking of alternatives. I would want the 10 oz filet. Is that what you can order from Portifino? Which steak is on the menu at Portifino?

I am hoping we can snag a table for two in MDR. I know it is not quite the atmosphere of Chops but would a Chops steak in MDR be a close experience with a two top? Not so much interested in the other Portifino selections. Thanks

Wow, dummy me. It is not Portifino, but Giovanni's Table. Same question. What is the steak like at Giovanni's Table or should we just do an upgrade in the MDR?

• 5 months later...
Wow, dummy me. It is not Portifino, but Giovanni's Table. Same question. What is the steak like at Giovanni's Table or should we just do an upgrade in the MDR?

On both Oasis & Vision, I liked Giovanni's much better than Chops... so much so that on Navigator I never bothered with Chops at all. And I've never done it, but I also discovered that you can order the exact same steaks on the Chops menu within Giovanni's (of course for the lesser cover charge) ;):D

Appreciate the candid comments. Already made reservations for Izumi. Think we'll try Giovoni's the first night and if it's good we'll try it again later in the cruise. Without an open flame and serious US Prime beef it can't be very good, we'll pass on Chops.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately it does very from ship to ship and cruise to cruise but in general I would recommend Chops. Its really a fantastic value for money and especially on a special occasion its lots of fun.

The menu has been updated recently but some ships still offer the old one.

We always go at least once each cruise....guess that's why my pants don't fit so good....:o

Enjoy!:cool:

I guess I'm in the minority here on Chops. We did not feel it was worth the $35pp charge as the meat was an issue for everone in our party. Two had their steak under and the other two of us had a tough and flavorless porterhouse. I will say the apps and desserts are great though. The steak at Giovannis was very good and cooked perfectly. Although this won't help you on the Explorer. Just my 2 cents

What ship? The Chops we have been at had a $30 cover. In either case our experience several times a Chops has been excellent. Sorry for your experience.

That being said, Portofino on Explorer is excellent as well.

We disliked Giovanni's on Allure, but found it to be much better on Brilliance. However, we will still miss Portofino! :)

On Brilliance, would Giovanni's be a good place for steak and seafood? Is there a link to a menu somewhere?

Our party of four, one will want a good steak, another will want a plain piece of seafood (grilled fish or something like that) the other two of us won't care! Which of the specialty places would serve us best?

On Brilliance, would Giovanni's be a good place for steak and seafood? Is there a link to a menu somewhere?

Our party of four, one will want a good steak, another will want a plain piece of seafood (grilled fish or something like that) the other two of us won't care! Which of the specialty places would serve us best?

Giovanni's menu:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/giovannis.pdf

The first part is lunch, second part dinner.

Edited by clarea

The steaks at Chops are much better. Personally I wouldn't go more than once per cruise, but it is worth it to DW and me to go that one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

Same here. Been 5 times and it's always been an enjoyable dining experience.

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking our first cruise next month and are thinking of a specialty dining at Chops. The menu looks great to us and I was wondering if you are limited to only 1 - appy, 1 side dish and 1 dessert per person? We are not huge eaters but we do like variety so was wondering if ordering 2 appetizers or extra sides per person is allowed. Thanks

We are taking our first cruise next month and are thinking of a specialty dining at Chops. The menu looks great to us and I was wondering if you are limited to only 1 - appy, 1 side dish and 1 dessert per person? We are not huge eaters but we do like variety so was wondering if ordering 2 appetizers or extra sides per person is allowed. Thanks

Yes, it's been allowed to have multiple appetizers with no extra charge. However, they have charged $10 for each extra entree.

Going on Explorer in May for my birthday and wanted to know if the steaks at Chops Grille are worth buying. I've tried the steaks in the main dining and they're decent, but are the steaks better at chops? Thanks!

OF COURSE they're better!! MUCH better..but that's not why we go to Chops ( 18 times on 12 RCI cruises and ALL have been A to A+!!)..) each time we cruise RCI...we go because we like the SIDE dishes that you can share that you will NEVER get in the MDR...and the appetizers are MUCH better...AND we love getting a table for 2 by the WINDOW over looking the sea...THAT's what you pay extra for, besides the much better steaks ..and don't forget the romance & ambiance of dining with 50-100 people instead of 1000-1200 along with soft music & soft lighting...SUCH a difference IMO..I would NEVER go to the MDR for a special occasion- that would be like going to Denny's or Friday's..not bad, but certainly NOT special.. . .and BTW, remember that food is completely subjective- I think most of the steaks in the MDR are mediocre..besides, where can you get a steak meal with appetizers ( unlimited BTW) and salads, and entrees, AND coffee & dessert for $35 pp? Not in Ruth Chris or Capital Grille NOR Morton's- they charge $40-45 JUST for the steak with NO sides, no dessert, and no table by the sea..a meal in those places is easily $150 ( w/ appetizers & sides? EASILY!)...so, IMO, yes- it is well worth a lousy $35 pp!!

Big Al

Edited by big al
extra lines