reptiles in tunis

smokin tiger

hi we are due to go to tunis la goulette in march I have a strong aversion to reptiles , hissing sids, and wonder if I would be likely to come across any if we either walk around tunis or go on an organised trip . in sri lanka we went on a tour which was wonderful till the coach broke down and dropped us next to a market and a man with a basket decided to chase us down the road with his money and hissing sid and then sit outside our new coach as we boarded. sounds funny but it wasn't at the time.

I was in Tunis a few years ago and did not come across any reptiles at all. We toured the Bazzar (sp?) and did not notice any. Tunis was very historic BUT you should worry about the street vendors chasing you to sell you whatever they have. Check to see if non Tunisian money is accepted for at one time US money changing hands was "illegal". With the recent turmoil I would not want to be used as an example today. Have a wonderful time and check out the Bardo museum.....a world treasure.:)

I just spent two weeks in Tunisia on a land tour, including time in Tunis. I never saw any reptiles in Tunis at all. (I have no idea what a hissing sid is....) We visited the ruins of Carthage (Byrsa Hill, the Antonine Baths, Roman villas, etc.) and the two museums. I didn't go to the souk.

Been there and yes I have seen them but not frequently. Nothing of the dangerous varity for sure. Stopped for a drink at a street side cafe and there were a few little gecos running around and suning on a wall. They were way more afraid of people then the people were afraid of them. One move in their direction and they scurried off to cover. Cute to watch but nothing to let ruin your vacation or worry about.

Hissing Sid,is a evil snake

Who kept the woodland folk awake.

Has no one heard of Captain Beaky?

I hadn't before, but Google is my friend. :D

I don't think Captain Beaky made it to the US. Or if he did, I certainly never heard of him before this thread.