Future possible replacement for Hairspray Oasis

d1cso4

I enjoyed watching Hairspray on the Oasis this past November. I was wondering that the show has been playing on the Oasis since its maiden voyage. I do love the show, but i know all shows come to their final curtain call. I was wondering if they have ever thought of replacing Hairspray and Chicago from their musical line up. I know that Mama Mia is going to be the show on the Quantum.

Eventually they will have to, but I doubt it will be any time soon. Changing the show involves changing the entire set. An expensive and cumbersome operation that would likely only be able to happen when the ship is out of service for drydock. Oasis' first drydock is scheduled for next year, and I would be surprised if Hairspray was pulled then as it is still very popular. Typically, these ships drydock every 4-5 years. So I would suspect the next drydock in 2019 or so might be the time for a change.

I went to see Hairspray while on board and it was pretty boring to me... Maybe because I am not a huge fan of musicals. But I did not like it at all. The singers were somehow talented tho. But I enjoyed way more come fly with me and of course oasis of dreams

Edited by voyager89

I would be surprised to see a replacement this early as well. I can think of some other shows that would be a good fit. All Shook Up and Wicked come to mind. I really enjoyed Hairspray. Even though there was a technical issue during the production I saw last December which delayed the show for 10 minutes in the middle, the show was still great!

Seen them both. Not overly impressed with either. Not any memorable tunes, expecially Hairspray.

Anyone seen one they would like?

I've seen Memphis and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying with Daniel Radcliffe. Both had memorable tunes. Yeah, that name is too long, but a classic.

Phantom, Les Mis?

When I was on Oasis in October the current cast said that there is a very strong possibility that Hairspray will be taken out at dry dock this year. The show had a 4 year contract and they extended 1 extra year, but haven't extended it this time. Time will tell.

I though Hairspray was tollerable. I dont know if i want to go see it again, but i might not have much choice with the DW.. We Both agreed though Chicago was horrible... I got bored really fast and i would not want to sit threw that one again. they did a good job acting it just wasnt my type of play

Makes sense doing at Drydock and then picking a show that will entertain and not too long. Plus auditions for cast and rehearsals could take months. I have my classic favorites. Little shop. Chorus line, fame and there is beauty and the beast ..but the mouse won't like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Edited by d1cso4

If I were RC I would be looking at family friendly shows. Chicago is rather dark and Hairspray isn't that interesting for younger children.

I don't think they are interested in entertaining the children with the plays. They have been bringing more children family elements into things like the Dreamworks experience in the parades and even a How To Train Your Dragon themed ice show. The plays are longer than a normal show and I think they are designed to be the element that attracts the parents to a cruise so they don't feel like a Disney Cruise Line wannabe.

Plus auditions for cast and rehearsals could take months.

Those are ongoing anyway. The performers change regularly as they are on periodic contracts. Meanwhile there is a landside production arm that is training and casting replacements for all their shows regularly.

It wouldn't take long to train a new cast. The current cast onboard is through February. There would be one last Hairspray cast from February to October, and the new cast (with new show in tote) would pick up after dry dock. The rehearsal period is only 6 weeks.

If I were RC I would be looking at family friendly shows. Chicago is rather dark and Hairspray isn't that interesting for younger children.

RCI's ships already offer plenty of entertainment options for youngsters. The adults in the audience are just as entitled to shows that will appeal to them which is what Chicago, Saturday Night Fever, the Musical, Hairspray, and now Momma Mia offer. I'd expect more of the same when they choose additional shows since the line is aiming at multi-generational audiences, not just the young families that Disney appeals to.

I agree with the previous poster that it's unlikely they'd bring Mama Mia onto another ship.

I've seen Hairspray on Broadway and on Oasis, and loved it a lot more than I expected (in both cases). I've seen the national traveling show of Chicago, and really liked it as well.

I think Phantom or Les Miserables would be very difficult to produce on the ship. The staging alone in either would be a major investment.

If I were going to replace Hairspray, assuming rights can be negotiated and aren't outrageous, etc., I'd probably look at Wicked or The Lion King. Both are very popular, long running Broadway musicals, and both have a very broad audience appeal.

Personally, I'd LOVE The Producers or Spamalot, but that audience appeal (and necessary politically neutral blandness) drops with both of them...

When I was on Oasis last month, I was told the contract is up next year but they do have the option to renew and no decisions have been made.

If they do opt for a new show, that show would come onboard for a minimum of 4-5 years as the costs to build the sets and do the staging for the productions for that specific theater can be quite large.

Whatever replacement is eventually chosen (whether next year or in the future), I would not expect any Disney production (so no Beauty and the Beast or Lion King - costs to actually stage that one would also make it prohibitive). And while I would love to see a show like Avenue Q or Book of Mormon, I suspect content would eliminate those as choices as well.:p

Popular shows that I could see going on a ship, include Wicked, Jersey Boys, Movin Out, Grease. Spamalot might even be a good choice as it has already been adapted for a Vegas audience.

Edited by wrp96