NCL Beverage Packages vs paying per drink

HellLawyer

Thank you! somehow I missed your reply to me. Just over two weeks till its time to go... very excited!!

@ funpatty

You may bring sealed snacks on board. No need to bring half-n-half, just ask your steward for extra individual containers. When you meet your steward, specify that you want half-n-half, and not non-dairy creamer. Ours on the Star brought both, randomly...

My sailing is Feb 23 - March 2nd. I was able to purchase over the phone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm on the same cruise - thought I had to wait until I boarded! Did you get charged tax as well? I read somewhere that if you buy onboard there is no tax....

Might need to give them a call tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jeepgirlroo

I like the package myself. I may not drink 6.5 drinks every day, BUT one of the best benefits IMHO is that you can try drinks you're not sure about. If you don't like it, just dump it. (not to encourage waste, but not all drinks are for everyone)

It's worth it for me because I drink enough - cruise drinks aren't typically very strong, and I don't have to worry about tallying my spending, and I don't have to worry about trying new drinks I may not like!

I agree with you. This is why I am getting the package. Last cruise there were plenty of drinks I wanted to try and didn't order, or ordered and wished I hadn't. This way I can try them all and not worry about the bill at the end of the cruise.

Does anyone know if you can get glasses of wine from Room Service as part of the UBP? I just read the fine print and I don't see anything about it including or not including room service....

From said fine print in T&C: "Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay." So no room service.

We did the UBP on the Gem last June. It was our first cruise. We were literally forcing ourselves to drink by noon, trying to get our money's worth. Well, we didn't drink as much as it cost for the package. We're not going to get that package in April on our next cruise. We came up about $150 short (kept all the receipts to make sure). Had mostly mixed drinks too, hardly any beer.

Hi there. While I know this thread is about UBP, I have a question about the bottled water. Why is it necessary to bring bottled water on board? Isn't all the water on the ship ok to drink? If I bring a refillable bottle (which I usually do for environmental reasons), isn't this enough? Is there some reason to specifically want the bottled water, such as the water on the ships is not really that good for you or tastes terrible? Thanks. First cruise on NCL.

They allow refillable bottles on cruises, including those Britta filtered water bottles as long as they come on the ship empty if your concerned about water quality.

My wife and I are going on the Epic and looked into it. I only drink diet coke and lots of coffee and she drinks alcoholic beverages. It still isn't worth it for us even if they allowed only 1 person in a stateroom to get it.

Like mentioned above, they may want to learn from Celebrity or the other cruise lines and reduce the price and allow a single person to get the package.

I understand that they don't want passengers to abuse the system or buy drinks for their other travel mates but they are losing money from people that are NOT buying the package.

It's like going to an all you can eat buffet; some people will eat a lot more then others, while some people will eat just enough, and others will barely eat; but if the all you can eat buffet is expensive people tend to want to get their money's worth and will end up eating more then they normally would.

I know it's a silly analogy, but it's very accurate in this case.

• 1 month later...
I'm on the same cruise - thought I had to wait until I boarded! Did you get charged tax as well? I read somewhere that if you buy onboard there is no tax....

Might need to give them a call tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Hope you all had a great cruise!!! Just wondering how you found the UBP an d if you would get it again. Not cruising until August on Getaway and still debating. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
The Ultimate Beverage Package is $49/day plus gratuity - so it is $56.35/day per person. All adults in the room must purchase it. If there are minors in the room, they must purchase the soda package. Bottled water is not included with the soda.

I just purchased the UBP on Breakaway and drank Grey Goose without issue. It's cocktails under $8.50, wine under $10 and bottled beer under $5.50 and draft beer under $5.95. I drank some drink of the days and some frozen drinks and they're covered as well, you just don't get the souvenir glass. I drank GG Orange with diet sierra mist and that was covered.

Hope that helps.

Good to know! Is there anything your tried to order that was not included??

• 6 months later...
FYi...

Having sailed on the Celebrity Reflection over the thanksgiving holiday and having their ultimate beverage package, almost every beverage on board the ship was included. Every bottled water, every coffee drink, every frozen drink, every spirit, every martini, every shot, all beers us to $12 a bottle, wine up to $12 a glass. It was a pleasure not having to worry about a bill at the end of the cruise.

NCL needs to get real with their drink packages.

Howard

Just curious, what is the charge for their ultimate beverage package?

The UBP total price per person is $434.70. We were 2adults and 1 child so we paid $905.66. That was $434.70 X 2 = $869.40 plus her soda package $36.26.

How many days was your cruise ? Did you find it worked out in your favor?

We are looking at 14 days and just can't decide to pull the trigger for that many days and for that many dollars.

If a regular purchased glass of wine is a 6 oz pour for $8 or $9 ... it might be beneficial. Along with everything else we have ever wanted to try.:eek:

How many days was your cruise ? Did you find it worked out in your favor?

We are looking at 14 days and just can't decide to pull the trigger for that many days and for that many dollars.

If a regular purchased glass of wine is a 6 oz pour for $8 or $9 ... it might be beneficial. Along with everything else we have ever wanted to try.:eek:

We were 7 nights. From what I could figure, it was definitely worth buying. I didn't find the need to finish a drink if it got watered down (rare, unless in the pool), or if we were going somewhere (quite often and didn't want to carry one with me), or if I didn't particularly care for it. Also, the Patron shots more than paid for the package. :eek: I was surprised how much more I was able to/wanted to have while at sea. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have read the posts but sill cannot fig out the best deal. Am I to assume that wine is about $8 each and same for beer? Mixed drinks with regular off shelf alcohol is probably $10? I am not a big drinker, but if I have wine with each dinner and and a few drinks each night at a bar or poolside, would the basic beverage package be a "deal"? I am going on Epic for 7 days. Someone help me fig this all out!!! Thanks!

We had the UBP and found it absolutely worth every penny. Remember, it also includes sodas all day and juice at breakfast.

We were doing shots of Patron, drinking grey goose bloody marys, Hennessy and Pepsi, and so much more and never had to worry about the bill. I'd say we definitely came out ahead. :D

My wife and I are going on the Epic and looked into it. I only drink diet coke and lots of coffee and she drinks alcoholic beverages. It still isn't worth it for us even if they allowed only 1 person in a stateroom to get it.

Like mentioned above, they may want to learn from Celebrity or the other cruise lines and reduce the price and allow a single person to get the package.

I understand that they don't want passengers to abuse the system or buy drinks for their other travel mates but they are losing money from people that are NOT buying the package.

It's like going to an all you can eat buffet; some people will eat a lot more then others, while some people will eat just enough, and others will barely eat; but if the all you can eat buffet is expensive people tend to want to get their money's worth and will end up eating more then they normally would.

I know it's a silly analogy, but it's very accurate in this case.

I completely agree. I am booked for the end of July and rooming with my neice. She is a drinker and I am not. I'm good with 1 or 2 drinks a day (if that).

Either way it costs us. She will have to spend more on her drinks without it. Or I will spend more on drinks I could never possibly drink with it. It would be so much easier if we both didn't have to purchase it.