Packing tips for those who fly to port

tinykygal

Thanks for the tips. Please keep them coming.

My DH does not like to see me carrying backpack due to weight of it; however, I find it invaluable until I forgot which pocket has the boarding pass and passport.:)

I have to put something on that zipper to identify crucial papers. Don't you dislike it when they rush you through some of those lines? I try to be prepared with papers in hand.

My next question is: is the backpack acceptable on the airlines if it fits under the seat? Someone detests carryon and if I do convince him, it is so small nothing fits. I try to encourage that it can cut down on packed and we should be able to carry off ship with little trouble.

On a numerous note, I once read of a person who layered 6 shirts to cut down on packing. We will be coming from cold climate, not a bad idea.

Check with the airlines. Almost all allow a personal item that stores under the seat- backpack, tote bag, camera bag etc. Bulkhead seats are an exception to this rule.

The advantage of packing light is not having to wait at baggage claim and knowing that your luggage arrives when you do. Lol.

DD has done the layering trick when flying on one of the budget European airlines with their low carry on weight restrictions.

Edited by SadieN

Consider a small tote made for under the seat like this one

http://www.ebags.com/product/biaggi/contempo-foldable-16-spinner-tote/242079?productid=10279896

Or a duffle bag or nylon tote

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/santiago-tote/242568?productid=10214862

You can pick up similar cheaper bags at Walmart, target, etc

I have a great one that is big enough for a change of clothes, and the things you need to pull out at security like liquids pouch, kindle, smartphone, and valuables like your camera, medications, etc. It has a zippered pouch that's great for travel documents, and also has mesh pouches on the sides that I use for a water bottle (empty of course to go through security, then you can fill it at a water fountain) and on the other side I keep a small umbrella.

It also can be carried over your carryon bag.

The thumbnail photo is my luggage packed for a two week trip to Germany in October.

image.jpg.83e5f6e56cf53cb81036241d7afc03bb.jpg

DD has done the layering trick when flying on one of the budget European airlines with their low carry on weight restrictions.

Another great way to make those weight limits is to use your coat pockets. I travelled once with a friend who had one of those jackets with about a dozen pockets and she had all her weighty items in those pockets. I think her jacket weighed more than her carryon bag - but it didn't count on her weight limits since she was wearing it.

Thanks for the tips. Please keep them coming.

My DH does not like to see me carrying backpack due to weight of it; however, I find it invaluable until I forgot which pocket has the boarding pass and passport.:)

I have to put something on that zipper to identify crucial papers. Don't you dislike it when they rush you through some of those lines? I try to be prepared with papers in hand.

My next question is: is the backpack acceptable on the airlines if it fits under the seat? Someone detests carryon and if I do convince him, it is so small nothing fits. I try to encourage that it can cut down on packed and we should be able to carry off ship with little trouble.

On a numerous note, I once read of a person who layered 6 shirts to cut down on packing. We will be coming from cold climate, not a bad idea.

A backpack is so much easier for me to handle, it balances the weight. I have three different sizes I use depending upon trip. My small one will fit under the seat. Be consistent on what you put in each compartment of the backpack, that way you can grab what you need quickly.

1. Plan to get to your embarkation city at least a day ahead. Plan a shopping trip for things such as wine/soda (if your cruiseline allows) and other items that you would like to have but are inexpensive to use just on the ship.

2. Book a ship that has a self-service laundry (for me, using the laundry service on board won't work as one of us is allergic to regular laundry detergent).

3. Be careful with packing aids that will squeeze down the size of your clothes. I had used the space savers method to pack my woolies for our Alaskan cruise so I can get them in our suitcase. But when we got to the Amtrak station, the clerk claimed our suitcase was over the maximum. Hubby asked to have it weighed and it was just an ounce under.

I agree.

We always bring a wheeled 21" carryon and pack as much in it as we can.

I call it insurance against lost luggage. We have our valuables/medications/necessities in the carryons as well as change of undies, swim suit, fresh jersey/blouse, basics we can manage with if our luggage is delayed or lost. The more we have with us the better IMO :)

We have the same approach. Pack two wheeled carryons, one each. We pack our formal dress clothes first, valuable, meds, necessities in these carryons, including camera, glasses. Everything else we check. Generally pack for 1 week, easy to do, only wash out some underwear along the way. Clothes really don't get dirty touring.

If we are taking a coat, we wear it on to board the flight, take a plastic bag to fold the coat in and store above our carryon in the over head bin.

We try as much as possible to book direct flights and if we need to change planes, we stay with the same airline carries, no codeshare with multiple carriers for us. Again this is to reduce the chance of lost luggage enroute.

We purchase shampoo, hair spray, sun screen, toothpaste, room spray, soap, etc. when we get to our embarcation port or another port along the way. At the end of our trip, we toss them out.

Some trips we are taking gifts to family and friends, if so, we will pay and over weight fee going, realizing we will be lighter on our return.

We pack a luggage scale to balance our weight between cases and if there luggage weight limits on carryons.