Speciality Dining with OBC Question

We are new to Royal Caribbean, and have a nice onboard credit from our travel agent.

I am learning just how hard it is to use the onboard credit! We know that we want to use it to pay gratuity, which means we can't do MTD unless we switch once we are onboard. We then wanted to use it for an expensive excursion. Can't do that because the excursion has limited spots and will sell out before we board.

We definitely want to use it for a dinner or two in a specialty restaurant. Just realized today that we can't even do that in advance without giving a credit card.

So now to my actual question...If we want to book a dinner at Giovanni's or similar, how hard is it to do that once onboard? If we go to make the reservation as soon as we board the ship would that work? Even today (44 days out) 7:00 for 2 was not available on any night.

Appreciate any advice!

Not hard at all. Just go there, or call up and set your reservation.

As you board there will be reps from the restaurants eager to take your reservation as well. (or at least that's how it's been on all past cruises I've been on)

Making reservations onboard is not difficult at all. They do not allow all of a time slot to be reserved online; there will still be 7:00pm time slots, for example, when you board.

Onboard credit is designed to be used once onboard, and not before. Sometimes a bit of a pain if you like to plan everything ahead but realistically speaking it is not difficult to use or to get the things you want with it.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the replies!

This is definitely one of those things that is difficult when you are a planner like myself. I like to have things arranged ahead of time! But, I'll just make it our mission to make our plans as soon as we board and consider that "advanced" enough.

One more question...Similarly, if we want to switch to MTD once we are onboard, is that a problem?

Last year we booked/paid in advance 4 nights at Chops and Portofino on Brilliance, but were only able to get one of them at the time we really wanted. The day we boarded we went to the restaurants and were able to switch the others to the times we desired. Obviously they're saving a lot of openings that aren't available pre-cruise:D It was interesting that most of those nights the restaurants seemed slower than we've ever seen - LOTS of empty tables.

You didn't say which ship you'd be sailing on, so this may not apply.

On Oasis and Allure, you can also make reservations for the specialty restaurants on the interactive TV. On our last cruise, we did that and had no problems whatsoever making the reservations for the time that we wanted. Granted, we tend to eat earlier, so that generally means that it'll be less busy, and we did have to wait until we got into the cabin to do this, so it might be better to just visit the restaurant after you board to make your reservation then.

I didn't find it difficult to get reservations on the Oasis during summer. Worst case is you have to sit outside (for Central Park restaurants).

Just make it the first thing you do, and if you can't find times you want stop by the target restaurant every so often as spots may have opened up.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the replies!

This is definitely one of those things that is difficult when you are a planner like myself. I like to have things arranged ahead of time! But, I'll just make it our mission to make our plans as soon as we board and consider that "advanced" enough.

One more question...Similarly, if we want to switch to MTD once we are onboard, is that a problem?

That's not a problem either. :)