Pride of America Disaster at Sea

Wally4973

David

Thanks for jumping in. You will not be a "one post wonder". The ones that put a red flag up for me are those that the first post is also a new thread and never heard from before or again.

Everyone one of us has been a first time poster. I lurked here for a year. Most of us jump in slowly by adding to an existing thread with positive or negitve input.

http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

As far as this review I have no issues with it. I thought it was well written and offered a different view. The major concern was the "drama" of the headline which I guess was intentional.

No question the OP is an experience poster. Where and under what name/names is the question. Would not surprise me that the OP is a regular but elected to us a new handle to avoid the flames that a negitive review can ignite around here :rolleyes:

Thanks for putting this here! I had forgotten all about it! I really enjoyed my time on the Pride of America and hope all who follow have as good a time as I did.

There were some problems, hopefully they will all be worked out. I know that some people mentioned the ship running out of things in the kitchen. Sometimes I think it wasn't just running out of things, but finding where things were put. That was our experience with the scallops in the Teppenyaki Grill. They had 'misplaced' a box, and later found it (It was stored in an area reserved for a different resturant). I know that when I move into someplace new I sometimes have trouble locating items....I can't imagine what it would be like with a ship this size!

I really believe that it will be smoother once they get to Hawaii and get into a routine. They will have regular suppliers, and will be able to really get organized.

All in all, a great trip; new ports for us, wonderful new friends, a beautiful new ship, and good food. I'm ready to go again!

Kristy :)

It could very well be possible the the poster was interested in getting his thread read. How many of us pass by threads with bland headlines and go right to the headlines that have something 'juicy'?I remember reading posts that had headlines using words like, Terrible, Disaster, SEX, Unbelievable, and then you read the post and the OP says they were just trying to get attention. This could just be a case of Marketing 101:rolleyes:

It could very well be possible the the poster was interested in getting his thread read. How many of us pass by threads with bland headlines and go right to the headlines that have something 'juicy'?I remember reading posts that had headlines using words like, Terrible, Disaster, SEX, Unbelievable, and then you read the post and the OP says they were just trying to get attention. This could just be a case of Marketing 101:rolleyes:

Just like the Star, Mirror, and NY Post - Had they selected Terrible, Disappointing, even Hated that would have been better then Disaster. Disaster at sea has a very different meaning and the issues did not add up to Disaster.

Had the OP even used potential disaster based on the concern they percieved with the tender operation that would have been better.

So many opened this thread expecting the worst only to find a review from someone that issues with their cruise.

It is marketing 101 if you are trying to sell newspapers with no news.

I tend to read and not comment, but... I will be on PofA 6 Aug. My wife and I are counting the days until we are on this cruise. I think I have read just about every thread dealing with PofA and I still am ready to go!

Am I concerned after reading all the different observations and experiences of the previous travellers? Sure. But my cruise will be different, because every week is different. I'm going to be in Hawaii, with my wife, without kids for a week. Paradise. (Took the kids on a cruise earlier this year)

Do I think everything will go perfect? Not a chance but I have a plan; if things get bad, get a foofoo drink, sit by the pool and soak up the sun. If things don't improve, repeat the above listed plan.

I feel bad for the folks who have shared not so wonderful experiences. Getting sick and being uncomfortable (freezing) is not what you want to do on vacation. We will take sweatshirts and Immodium.

I will comment on our trip when we get back.

Being on a maiden voyage was most important to us. Anyway...I do, however, question anyone that claims to know why staff is leaving the ship or if staff was fired. How would he know that?

Though I think this original poster is a little dramatique across the board, the truth is that many of the US workers on the NCL Hawaii (American) ships have quit way before their contracts expired. A close friend's first-cousin is on one (I'll keep this anonymous). He said the American's can't take the hours and simply walk off and away from their contracts. In his case (he had been a waiter) they agreed to a different job (I won't mention what) which gave him less hours and better benefits. He's said it is a problem but that NCL is figuring out how to deal with it.

THey're truly not used to American labor laws and it's not that the American work ethic is so bad, it's that the forcing of people to work 7 days a week for 10 month's contracts is nuts. American's don't have to stand for that kind of working environment, thank god.

it's not that the American work ethic is so bad, it's that the forcing of people to work 7 days a week for 10 month's contracts is nuts. American's don't have to stand for that kind of working environment, thank god.

I don't believe their contracts are 10 months long. Even the International works on the foreign flagged ships don't work that long of a contract (they're contract is 9mos, then 3mos vacation)

Though I think this original poster is a little dramatique across the board, the truth is that many of the US workers on the NCL Hawaii (American) ships have quit way before their contracts expired. A close friend's first-cousin is on one (I'll keep this anonymous). He said the American's can't take the hours and simply walk off and away from their contracts. In his case (he had been a waiter) they agreed to a different job (I won't mention what) which gave him less hours and better benefits. He's said it is a problem but that NCL is figuring out how to deal with it.

THey're truly not used to American labor laws and it's not that the American work ethic is so bad, it's that the forcing of people to work 7 days a week for 10 month's contracts is nuts. American's don't have to stand for that kind of working environment, thank god.

As posted earlier in this thread.

Cecilia,

I saw this post from an NCL crew member. I think he has more idea of the true amount of turnover on Pride of America

Author: American Pride

Date: 07-09-05 02:11

It also doesnt reflect the truth. As I have stated in earlier posts on other related threads, back at the shipyard in Bremerhaven my desk was right next to the personnel managers. Now that we are on the ship, we are still friends. I just showed this to her and she pulled up her files in the computer and this is the actual counts.New York City 21 resignations 8 terminations and 3 medical leaves. Miami 33 resignations 11 terminations.Cabo San Lucas 3 terminations. And finally in LA today there were 7 resignations 1 sick leave and 45 vacations. Now as far as wages go. The ship is bound by both US and Hawaiian labor laws. ANY EMPLOYEE WHO WORKS OVER 40 HOURS IS PAID OVERTIME. Are there people working 70 - 80 hours per week? yes... it's the nature of this business! Are they paid for it? yes ITS THE LAW! Turnover rates in this business have always been high whether its an American or foreign ship, whether its NCL, Carnival, or anyone else.

Wake up and see this post as a crank or possibly even posted by one of the folks who has been terminated from either the Aloha or the America.

It is marketing 101 if you are trying to sell newspapers with no news.

I just opened this thread for the first time and read the review. Not quite the 'disaster' I had in mind!

Inaugural cruise to me sounds like a new model of automobile for a car maker. Looks shiny and new, but it will have some problems to be ironed out. Best off to wait a little while before trying. To those who want the best and newest, go ahead. Don't complain that you are paying the same price or even more for this priviledge.

I think you are right, shoreguy. This thread has received over 5000 views and that would not have been the case if more appropriate wording was used. It certainly got my attention.

Would not surprise me that the OP is a regular but elected to us a new handle to avoid the flames that a negitive review can ignite around here :rolleyes:

Interesting thought. Does that mean that you feel that negative reviews are likely to attract flaming? You must feel the flaming gets fairly serious if you think fear of it would inspire a regular poster to adopt a new identity, which is against the guidelines as far as I know, just to avoid having to deal with it.

If it was a regular poster and he posted under his/her regular name they wouldn't be subject to the 'one post wonder' type of comment so you must feel that even an established poster who has posted on this board numerous times, is likely to be subject to bashing if they dare to post a negative review.

I'm beginning to feel the same way. It seems a shame that any poster would be so afraid of a bad reception that they would feel it necessary to hide behind a false identity to make their opinion of their cruise known.:(

Can you tell me what thread the above quote from Marcandrews came from, I can't find it anywhere on the NCL board.

I just opened this thread for the first time and read the review. Not quite the 'disaster' I had in mind!

Exactly right.

Titanic was a disaster. Andrea Doria was a disaster. Morro Castle was a disaster. This was a shakedown cruise with a few problems.

It's the unnecessary and inflammatory hyperbole ("Disaster!" "Nightmare!" "Beware!") that people react to with distaste--and disdain.

I think, though, seeing as it's a new ship, if a person called the thread "Pride of America--Review" there'd be crowds of people stopping to read!

I know I would!

:-)

Reading the posts on this thread some additional thoughts come to mind:

It is difficult to believe we were on the same cruise as the OP. Many of the "facts" he cites are just not so. The late departure from Cabo did not cause our late arrival in LA, the morning's fog did. There was only one "tropical test" of the air conditioning, not three as claimed.

Crew turnover is a normal part of cruise ship operations. We've yet to be on a ship where crew didn't come and go. True, on a new ship it is higher than "normal", but well within NCLA's expectations. Nobody is "forcing" the crew to work beyond what their contract calls for. They all knew going in this was not a 40-hour/week gig.

American work ethic?!? Heck, I'm an American and I think I work pretty darn hard, as do most Americans I know. Sure, there were some "slackers", but they were the distinct minority. For the most part our American crew hustled their you-know-what. On top of that, they were friendly and you could understand them.

Cruise ships run out of things all the time. A CC post some time ago detailed a ship that ran out of coffee three days out (mutiny time)! The Legend of the Seas, a ship that regularly sails for two weeks or longer, ran out of all sorts of foodstuffs during our December cruise. Comparatively speaking, the Pride did rather well.

Yes, NCLA learned from the Pride of Aloha's introduction last year, and did a pretty good job. Was it perfect? No, we have complaints too. The photographers were pushy and the CD was infantile and annoying. Would we do it again, you bet, in a flash.

Interesting thought. Does that mean that you feel that negative reviews are likely to attract flaming?

Interesting comment - I have thought about this and personally I think that negative reviews couched in exaggerated, inflamatory language with melodramatic titles attract flames. I know I just immediately take them a lot less seriously than appropriately titled, balanced and thoughtful but critical reviews. I read those reviews carefully with real interest.

Interesting thought. Does that mean that you feel that negative reviews are likely to attract flaming?

Interesting comment - I have thought about this and personally I think that negative reviews couched in exaggerated, inflamatory language with melodramatic titles attract flames. I know I just immediately take them a lot less seriously than appropriately titled, balanced and thoughtful but critical reviews. I read those reviews carefully with real interest.

Yes I agree that an extreme review is going to attract more extreme comments too. But referring to shoreguys suggestion that the OP sounded like it might have been made by a regular poster who decided to post under a new name in order to avoid flaming doesn't fit with that. Why would someone post under a different name to avoid flaming then make a purposely extreme title to cause flaming:confused:

Shoreguy,

thanks for the direction to post #25. I didn't ask the question right though. What I was looking for was the location of the original post that said that. Post #25 was also someone quoting that statement made by someone else.

I/m wondering where the original American Pride post came from. Is it maybe from a thread that has since been removed?

I/m wondering where the original American Pride post came from. Is it maybe from a thread that has since been removed?
That passage was not removed from anywhere on this board. I'm guessing it was copied and pasted from another cruise board.

Our DD was hired by NCLA at a job fair in Dallas to work on PO/America. Contract was for 5 months, 5 1/2 day work week, 60 hrs p/week. BUT,, She could pull more hours if she wanted to. Just like any other job where you can pick up shifts. Almost all Mgt spots on ship are held by Americans also, so everyone full well knows the work environment. Having worked for RCI previous, she knew what she was getting into. After going thru all the shots and physicals, and tests, she chose not to go due to total confusion on NCLA's part about scheduleing (sp) travel to Maryland & Germany. They are still calling wanting to know if she would change her mind and join the ship.

The normal turn on a 5 month crew rotation means that they have to find over 100 new employees EVERY WEEK between the 2 ships in Hawaii, under perfect conditions. This will keep on ship service issues in a constant state of flux.

As I have said before, this is the perfect way to see the Islands of Hawaii, if one goes with that as the focus. And 'not' thinking this is a regular cruise like we are all used to in the rest of the world.

Our DD was hired by NCLA at a job fair in Dallas to work on PO/America. Contract was for 5 months, 5 1/2 day work week, 60 hrs p/week. BUT,, She could pull more hours if she wanted to. Just like any other job where you can pick up shifts.

I'm wondering how this would work on a cruise ship. Do they staff so that all positions are covered if the crew all choose to work just their regular 5 1/2 day 60 hr. work week or do they staff assuming that lots of the crew would want to pick up extra shifts?

If the first, they would have to carry and feed more crew than any of the international ships. If they staff assuming that crew will pick up extra shifts and they don't, that would presumably leave some shifts or positions unfilled and might explain the poor service sometimes reported on this ship. From my experiences on other cruise ships I find it hard to see how someone working just 5 1/2 days a week could do the same job as the usual room stewards doon the other ships.:confused:

I'm wondering how this would work on a cruise ship. Do they staff so that all positions are covered if the crew all choose to work just their regular 5 1/2 day 60 hr. work week or do they staff assuming that lots of the crew would want to pick up extra shifts?

confused:

Not all jobs are 5!/2 days. Cabin Steward all shifts POAM

Stateroom Steward/Stewardess P16187 50 Full Time Regular All Shifts $7.38/

2 years related experience on board ships or in a land based hotel or related hospitality establishment. Service a minimum of 16 rooms per day. Must be able to fluently speak, read and write in English. Knowledge of Industrial housekeeping cleaning chemicals, A pleasant, accommodating personality, customer service oriented, responsible and well organized. Capable of lifting 50lbs throughout the day. Bend, lean, stoop without hindrance. RESPONSIBILITIES Responsible for the daily service and cleaning of guest bathrooms and balconies on a prompt basis, maintaining the company's high standards of cleanliness. Responsible for the chemicals used to clean the bathrooms and that they are in properly labeled bottles as per SEMS. Maintains the trolley, hallway, locker and pantry areas at all times. Assists with room service, cocktail parties, and luggage handling to/from staterooms, embarkation duties, stateroom deliveries and prompt laundry service as needed. Thorough daily servicing of staterooms; provides frequent contact and service to guests in a warm, friendly and polite manner at all times and under all circumstances. Handles guest complaints and strives for early guest recovery. Effectively communicates any problem, challenges, complaints / feedback immediately to a Supervisor on duty. Responsible for keeping informed of all activities and locations throughout the ship in order to answer guest inquiries promptly and accurately. Maintains the highest standards of cleanliness in all guest staterooms and surrounding areas, proper management system sorting (at source), entry into guest staterooms and reports and suspicious activity.

Not all jobs are 5!/2 days. Cabin Steward all shifts POAM

Stateroom Steward/Stewardess P16187 50 Full Time Regular All Shifts $7.38/

2 years related experience on board ships or in a land based hotel or related hospitality establishment. Service a minimum of 16 rooms per day. Must be able to fluently speak, read and write in English. Knowledge of Industrial housekeeping cleaning chemicals, A pleasant, accommodating personality, customer service oriented, responsible and well organized. Capable of lifting 50lbs throughout the day. Bend, lean, stoop without hindrance. RESPONSIBILITIES Responsible for the daily service and cleaning of guest bathrooms and balconies on a prompt basis, maintaining the company's high standards of cleanliness. Responsible for the chemicals used to clean the bathrooms and that they are in properly labeled bottles as per SEMS. Maintains the trolley, hallway, locker and pantry areas at all times. Assists with room service, cocktail parties, and luggage handling to/from staterooms, embarkation duties, stateroom deliveries and prompt laundry service as needed. Thorough daily servicing of staterooms; provides frequent contact and service to guests in a warm, friendly and polite manner at all times and under all circumstances. Handles guest complaints and strives for early guest recovery. Effectively communicates any problem, challenges, complaints / feedback immediately to a Supervisor on duty. Responsible for keeping informed of all activities and locations throughout the ship in order to answer guest inquiries promptly and accurately. Maintains the highest standards of cleanliness in all guest staterooms and surrounding areas, proper management system sorting (at source), entry into guest staterooms and reports and suspicious activity.

So I wonder how many days/hours a week a room steward would end up working then. These employees have to be US not foreign also, don't they?

Archived