Cruise Wait List Question

Sailfish

We have friends who only today decided that they could join us on a New Years Cruise - now 16 days away. I contacted Carnival and was told the voyage was sold out, but they have only two requests on their wait list, so they encouraged me to let our friends know. I was told that they would need to put down a refundable deposit and then wait to be called. Has anyone had experience with going on a wait list and being called? Curious about how high (or low) the price was, and how far in advance you got the call.

Our friends reside in the home port, so no issues about getting to the pier the day of sailing. I was just interested if anyone here has ever done this sort of thing.

Many thanks.

Suzi

Edited by Sailfish

It is werid that they would make it non-refundable.

Why would they have to put down a deposit if they possibly can't get on the cruise would be my question.

Not sure why they wouldn't call when it would be available down the list adn then have them pay in full on spot?

Good luck.

We have friends who only today decided that they could join us on a New Years Cruise - now 16 days away. I contacted Carnival and was told the voyage was sold out, but they have only two requests on their wait list, so they encouraged me to let our friends know. I was told that they would need to put down a refundable deposit and then wait to be called. Has anyone had experience with going on a wait list and being called? Curious about how high (or low) the price was, and how far in advance you got the call.

Our friends reside in the home port, so no issues about getting to the pier the day of sailing. I was just interested if anyone here has ever done this sort of thing.

Many thanks.

Suzi

It is werid that they would make it non-refundable.

Why would they have to put down a deposit if they possibly can't get on the cruise would be my question.

Not sure why they wouldn't call when it would be available down the list adn then have them pay in full on spot?

Good luck.

My guess is the price will be high.

Mine as well. High demand=high prices.

Unless it got down to the last minute and Carnival needed to fill the rooms like the day before.

I suspect the "last-minute-cancellations-fill-those-cabins" fairy will try to sell those cabins to the highest bidder i.e. she/he will phone those guests who are on the waitlist with a high price, see who bites, and then reduce the price slightly if there are no takers until someone puts down the cash.

If you are good friends then you might want to tell your friends NOW roughly how much you paid - that way they don't get ripped off when they get the call, or perhaps they could negotiate a better price if they know your price !!!!

Sailfish, this is so interesting. It sounds pretty positive since they're accepting a deposit. Hope they can join you. Please let us know how it works out.

It is an interesting situation and I too would like to know how it turns out..........keeping my fingers crossed for a "Happy Ending":)

I have a friend who was on a cruise wait list and she didn't get called until the MORNING of the cruise!

She was planning to go no matter what the price but it certainly was last minute!!

Did she pay an arm and a leg? Or did she get a reduced fare since it was so last minute?

Did she pay an arm and a leg? Or did she get a reduced fare since it was so last minute?

If they call you to make a last-minute sale to fill an empty room then they will make you a deal. If you call them and try to book a full cruise they know you really want that cruise and will charge you accordingly.

If they call you to make a last-minute sale to fill an empty room then they will make you a deal. If you call them and try to book a full cruise they know you really want that cruise and will charge you accordingly.

But Carnival already had demand for the cruise, since she was on the waitlist. I know they'll sell unsold cabins at the last minute at a great discount, but since this one had a waitlist, I was wondering if there was a deal involved.