Curious about the environment for a 22yr old on Reflection

stormin22

Alright, so me and my mother are going on our first solo vacation in like a week or so. It is that 7 day Miami and Caribbean cruise on the Reflection. She has been on two cruises before and they were with Seabourn.

I realize there is a pretty significant difference between the two companies. However, we went with Celebrity because of the ease of the itinerary. She is also doing this one in part for me hoping there will be a slightly younger demographic, while also being on a more upscale ship. We are definitely more of the luxury traveler group.

I am 22 and in college, I drink and like to have a good time. However, I can get along with older people as my interests are not generally in line with those in my age range haha. Just curious as to what I should expect?

I know there are bars and lounges and such, but does that mean I will see attractive women in my age range or couples in their late 50's?

Also curious about this "dress code" of sorts. I have read things about it being not really followed. My general "casual" clothing would be polos or button-downs and chinos or tailored jeans. I am not bringing my tux as that seems unnecessary, but I will have a blazer and a couple ties. I am fine with looking well dressed haha, but would assume not stand out drastically..

I realize I just asked a whole bunch of semi-related questions, but I would really appreciate any help you can provide me with. I am looking forward to our Christmas cruise either way, just curious as what to really expect.

Thanks

Sounds like fun, a holiday trip for you and your mom. I think your dress code will be fine, a blazer and tie for the formal nights will fit in although many men will be in dark suits. For casual nights, chinos or neat jeans and a polo shirt are fine. Passengers on Celebrity clean up and dress neatly for the evenings, but it isn't anywhere near as formal as it used to be. Regarding other passengers, there will likely be some younger couples, but Celebrity usually isn't a line catering to young singles traveling together. However, being a holiday cruise, you may find some who are cruising with their families as you are. Check out the Martini Bar and the Molecular Bar, that should be a couple of good spots to see who else is onboard. Good luck but remember that Celebrity isn't exactly a "party" line, it caters more to those who prefer dignified and elegant evenings with good food, some entertainment and good conversation.

Because of the time that you are travelling there will likely be plenty of young adults on board. While Celebrity is not the party hard cruise line that Carnival or Royal Caribbean are, you are traveling during the Holiday season. There are likely to be others your age that are traveling with their families. As others have said, look in the dailies for mixers. Hang out in the Martini or Molecular bar, etc., and you'll be able to find others near your age. (You may want to consider one of the beverage packages too if that's not already included in your fare. Note that the Martini and drinks in the Molecular bar require the Premium package).

With regard to dress code, there will be two formal nights. While a blazer and tie is not strictly compliant with the written dress code (which requires a tux or suit), there will be quite a few who go the blazer route and I've never heard of or seen reports of anyone wearing any type of coat being refused entry to the MDR on formal nights. Chinos and polo shirts are within the dress code on smart casual nights and will likely be the most prevalent dress for men on those nights. All in all, you won't look out of place on either type of night with what you plan on wearing.

We travelled with our now 22 yo DD last year. If there are any weeks to find unattached college students hoping to get away from their families, Christmas and NYE are good ones.;) There were Singles event for the 18-25 or so set, some later at night with dancing. Consider signing up for a Strenuous Shore Excursion like Zip-lining. Hang out by the pool, sign up for the "games" even if that might not be your idea of fun normally. Work-out at the gym. Get on your sailing's Roll Call and ask if other college students will be on-board and meet-up with them at sail-away or Connections party. It's only a week..have fun!

Wrote you were AQ Suite on the other thread…Blu is Smart Casual every night. Nice polos are fine, my DH does bring a blazer because it is chilly in the restaurant some nights after being in the sun.

Edited by Janet987

I appreciate all the insight, it looks like we picked a good trip. Especially seeing as how we booked this trip all of three weeks ago haha.

Yeah, we both have the "premium beverage" package. Which I am sure I will make good use of.

I will definitely have to check out the various events and other social events.

I may end up bringing a suit along, I could only see myself wearing a tux maybe once and I would not wear the jacket on its own, so that is still going to get left at home. Granted I will have plenty of space.. We shall just have to wait and see.

Thanks everyone,

Chris

Our 22 year old son was with us on our reflection cruise last September (along with his friend also 22).

They had a great time and paled up with the Sin City comedians and burlesque dancer. Lucky gits!

We were on a table of 10 so they engaged well with our table companions. The Sky lounge night club was disappointing for them however.

Dress wise they both wore tuxedo's but then being British, style comes easy.

I appreciate all the insight, it looks like we picked a good trip. Especially seeing as how we booked this trip all of three weeks ago haha.

Yeah, we both have the "premium beverage" package. Which I am sure I will make good use of.

I will definitely have to check out the various events and other social events.

I may end up bringing a suit along, I could only see myself wearing a tux maybe once and I would not wear the jacket on its own, so that is still going to get left at home. Granted I will have plenty of space.. We shall just have to wait and see.

Thanks everyone,

Chris

Try the Molecular and Martini Bars!!! Happy cruising!!:):)

Edited by drarill