Walmart in Ketchikan *BQ Advice!!*

Jacquelyn11

I've gathered from the boards this is a great place for good souviners and the Alaska candy.

1) Is there a shuttle or local transport bus that will pick you up at the doc and take you to Walmart? Where does it pick up at and how often does is run?

2) Do they have the Ulu Knife and bowl sets at a reasonable price? (Does not have to be the authentic Alaska ones!) Anyone know the cost/set?

3) If we need to, is there a post office or UPS store nearby to ship these back home? (planning to bring an extra suitcase anyway!)

What about other stores like K-mart or Fred Meyers? Are they in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway or Wrangell?

Thanks for all the help!

Jacquelyn :D

I think someone mentioned earlier on the board that there is a shuttle to Walmart from the dock, but that it is used mostly by ship's crews. There are no KMarts in Alaska (they closed them all a few years ago), but there are lots of Fred Meyers (expensive!).

Yes there is a shuttle from the dock, a white van with Walmart on the side. It parks to the right of the visitor center looking from the ship. The post office is on Mission about 2 blocks from the dock on the right side walking away from the dock. Yes Walmart has Ulu's. Made in China for less than $10 if I recall correctly. The Alaska Jack bars which I always buy are less than $1.50 a big savings compared to $2 everywhere else especially when I bought them for my nephews classes. :) Also Wildberry chocolates discounted, again always a few box purchase for me. Postcards are .10 There is Fred Meyer in Juneau, but out of town, city bus goes there. No K Marts- all closed.

You can get Ulu knives and sets all over the harbor, cheap ones and not so cheap ones. No need to go to WalMart for one of those.

Just an FYI, if you bring an Ulu knife (or any knife) on board the ship, they will take it from you at security when you get back on board, and keep it until the night before disembarkation, no knives on board. We watched quite an argument during our recent trip. Security won that one! And pack it in your checked baggage for your flight home.

Enjoy

Well, 99% of any souvenirs anywhere in the world, including Alaska, Caribbean, wherever, are made in China these days, thanks to the cheap labor cost there.

The reasons people are buying Chinese-made ulu knives in Alaska is because, this is the only place in the world you can buy a ulu knife.

You can choose between cheaper Chinese ones, or more expensive local ones.

Most people buy the cheap Chinese ones, though.

You can't buy ulu knife in New York, Seattle, London, Sydney or anywhere else.

You can't even buy the Chinese made Ulu knife in China!

All the products made in China are directly shipped to the destination, and NOT available in China.

If you are a Chinese who wants to buy a Chinese made Ulu knife, you need to go to Alaska.

If you want to buy a Chinese made Caribbean mug, you need to go to Caribbean.

If you want to buy a Chinese made hat with a logo of Banff National Park, you need to go to Banff.

It's that simple.

Most of the time, you don't even have a second choice when you are shopping for souvenirs. You'll often notice that they are all made in China.

I'm the pharmacy manager at a small hospital. I have a small staff, but I don't want buy a cheap trinket for one and a "alaskan made" for another when the inexpensive version would do. Not that I always buy things from my trips for my staff, but we are a close knit group and they are like an extended family.

If I can get a $10-15 good set for each of them I'll be happy, and so will they! I'm planning to "pack a suitcase in a suitcase" to have an extra one to bring home with me.

I have lots of "kids" to buy for also, and the Alaskan candy seems like a good thing for them.

I'm going to see Alaska, but shopping has to be a part of it!! :)

I also want to ask about the coupon books at the dock....Any good deals in there not to be misssed??

Jacquelyn :D

Myfavorite souvenirs that I buy for every place I have been, are Christmas Tree ornaments. Usually I buy the die cut gold ones, and you can even get one for the cruise line you are on. Sometimes I just buy locally made ones.

Thanks for all the tips.

Another great thing to bring home to friends and family are the bear claw pasta/salad servers. They are in about every store in port, they are not expensive (found some for under $5 up to $15). I brought back 5 sets. They don't take up a lot of room and you don't have to worry about security! :)

Amanda:)

We recently purchased two jack knives for our sons on our recent Alaskan cruise. When we boarded the Radiance security checked our knives and since the blades were less than 4 inches long, we got to keep them with us. They also suggested that we pack them in our checked baggage for the flight home, which we did, and we had no problems at the airport.

Personally I dont consider buying a thing at the place I visit, is considered a souvenir. Your reasoning is a bit absurb, but that is just me ...

One can buy authentic souvenirs made by the local people, or unique to the place you visit. Sorry, a baseball cap with "Banff" on it but made in China or Bangladesh or Dominica or whathave you, does not qualify a souvenir to me. Trinket, or throw away items, it qualifies.

A few examples :

In Costa Rica, you can certainly buy beautiful hardwood carvings or salad bowls, wine racks, made by the local people using the local plants.

Ditto for Mexico - there are way too many authentic crafts one can buy in Mexico - each region has its own unique things to offer ...

In Australia, you can certainly buy things that are made by Australian Aborigines using materials can only be found in Australia. In NZ you can buy the infamous sheep skin ...

In Japan, you can certainly buy things that is 100% authentically Japanese ...

In many countries in Europe you can certainly buy things that are made only by the local materials ...

Of course, there are also those trinkets you mentioned, a cap, a t-shirt, a mug, etc nothing special items, that many consider as souvenirs.

Good thing we dont have to worry about buying nicknacks for co-workers or staff, like Jackyln11 being so considerate to do.

Our trinket buying era has long gone. These days our souvenirs mainly are our video tapes (dont even like photos as they dont have sound and motion) which we edit and then burn dvd's - some may be sent to friends and families so they can share the travels we made ...

..are consumable products. Wherever we go, I look for sauces, jams, salad dressings, cookies, etc made in that location. Everyone loves to eat, so they even make great gifts! I've travelled so many years and just don't need any more STUFF! What I usually do is at the end of an excursion, ask the taxi driver to drive me to the grocery store where the locals shop. Then, you get good prices, too. I'll be looking for the wildberry chocolates, Alaska Jack bars, and salmon jerky in Alaska.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

Karen

I personally never buy souvenirs, because they become garbage for me eventually, wherever it is made.

However, I'm just telling the truth. There is a need for people to buy affordable "souvenirs", for friends, families, coworkers, whatever.

Souvenirs are those products only available in certain locations, and not available elsewhere.

A long time ago, all the ulu knives are locally made.

Now, most of them are replaced by foreign made ones.

But they are still qualified as "souvenirs", because you can't buy it anywhere else, even in the country it is really made.

It still has the same important value as a "souvenir", and so do most people believe in.

That's why people keep buying the foreign made souvenirs like crazy.

For example, you can only buy a Skagway train whistle in Skagway, and they are all foreign made.

If your kids or relatives' kids love train toys, you have to buy this kind of souvenirs. No other choice.

It is probably true, if not too far from it, that 99% of all souvenirs that tourists buy these days are not locally made. This is the fact of globalization of world economy.

You can do nothing about it. You can have your viewpoint, but you cannot change what most people do and think. Eventually, it becomes "normal" and "right" to buy foreign made souvenirs. They are still locally unique souvenirs. It's just that it's not made locally.

There will continue to be locally made souvenirs, of course, but it will remain as the minorities. They will never cease to exist, but become a special category of products.

Ok, Ok, I SWEAR that I will not buy any foreign made objects while in Alaska (Heaven FORBID that I dare utter the word souvenir!) I will stick to locally made and produced food products and/or art and/or jewelry and/or artifacts. (and maybe one Christmas tree ornament, so long as it is made by a native Alaskan).

All joking aside, the comments about souvenirs made in sweatshops in third world countries are very accurate. We should all be aware of our purchase, and buy American and support America.

Yes there is a shuttle from the dock, a white van with Walmart on the side. It parks to the right of the visitor center looking from the ship. .... The Alaska Jack bars which I always buy are less than $1.50 a big savings compared to $2 everywhere else especially when I bought them for my nephews classes. :) Also Wildberry chocolates discounted, again always a few box purchase for me.

BQ how far is Walmart's from the dock? and what are Wildberry chocolates? They sound yummy. If I went to a store any requested them, would I be likely to get a blank stare?

I'll be looking for the Alaska Jack bars for my kids to bring back. They are getting tired of key chains!

Thanks as always.

Some time back, I read on these boards that true "Native Merchandise - Made in Alaska" will have a Silver Hand Emblem notating: "Native Handicraft From Alaska."

Ketchikandies Candy Store has Chocolate Covered Oreos - Nice gift!

There are Salmonberry, Huckleberry, and Spruce Tip Jellies in different stores also.

In Ketchikan, there is a place named the "Good God Store" where you can buy Smoked Salmon, Salmon Jerky and Dog Treats.

These are all things which I have read about here - I will be checking them out in September on our Alaska Trip.

I am sure there are many other suggestions, but these are a few which caught my eye.

Good Luck with your shopping.

Archived