Navigator 12/15-22/2013

satxdiver

I just got off the Navigator. The ship is going into dry dock after this current sailing and the next one (christmas and new year sailings) for a 4 week refit and reconfiguration. The WJ is due to be completely redone as are the specialty restaurants and a flow rider is going to be added along with other changes. The dry dock will be in Freeport, Bahamas.

Captain Andersen or captain Claus as he is refered to is very personable and quite talkative. He is Norwegian and has a heavy accent as can be expected. He can be funny at times.

CD is John Perry from TN originally.

Reba Minett, half British and half Canadian (her version), is the loyalty & cruise sales manager

Robert Taggart, Canadian, is the hotel director

I hope this helps. More to come.

Music aboard was provided by the following groups:

Robert Bruce, Two Poets Pub, nightly. He was OK but nothing outstanding. I have seen better in the pub.

Bubba Feathers Band, various locations, C&W band from TX mostly. Probably OK but I don't like C&W so no comment on their ability. They are older as in much older group.

Fiesta! with Mambo Caliente in Boleros Bar. Really good with Mexican style music. Being from San Antonio I did like to listen to them on occasion.

Piano player Phil "I can't play that tune" Anderson in the Schooner Bar. He is fairly good as long as you request something (limited it seemed) he could play. Definitely one of the least capable piano players I have listened to on a ship and I love to spend hours in the piano bar. Did not spend much time there this time and noticed space was always available indicating I was not alone in that assessment.

Caribbean Force band in the Cosmopolitan Club (Viking lounge area) which were really good with easy listening music. Loved listening to them.

DJ Franz in the Dungeon Disco was really good and played what the audience wanted to hear. They had a 70's night, 80's night and a teen dance party night over the 7 days on board.

Sunday - Welcome aboard show in theater at 10 PM. Ship orchestra was great. Bubba Feathers Band (C&W), Piano man Phil Anderson and comedian Ralph Achilles. The comedian started telling jokes to entice us to attend his show on Tuesday night. At first the audience did not laugh, then a few would laugh and then a few more and then he ended. He was about the un-funniest comedian I have ever heard and the jokes were just plain lame at best. I did not go to his Tuesday night show nor did I run into anyone who did so I don't know how well that went.

Monday - Formal night/Captain's party - production show, Ballroom Fever, with ships performers and it was good. 6:30 and 8:30 perfomances.

Tuesday - Savannah Jack (county music) 6:30 and 8:30. I don't like country and did not go. Comedian at 10:30. Ice Show 2:00 and 4:00

Wednesday - Ice Dancing 6:30 and 8:30. Love & Marriage show 10:00 in theater.

Thursday - Original Drifters - they were fantastic even in their old age. 6:30 and 8:30. 70's disco inferno street party including macho men on the royal promenade followed by 70's party in the disco. this night had to be the best entertainment night of the cruise!

Friday - production showtime Now and Forever with ship performers. they were great. 6:30 and 8:30. second formal night

Saturday - Farewell Showtime with acrobats Alan & Yulia (part of Cirque du Soleil family). really good 6:30 & 8:30

So does this dry dock not include updating the entire ship? What about staterooms?

Rhonda

There may be updates to staterooms, but Royal has not published details. Other ships have gotten new sinks and cabinets in the bathrooms, and some furniture changes, but Navigator is not as old as those ships.

There may be updates to staterooms, but Royal has not published details. Other ships have gotten new sinks and cabinets in the bathrooms, and some furniture changes, but Navigator is not as old as those ships.

They need to update the staterooms, if most of them looked anything like ours did a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

DJ Franz in the Dungeon Disco was really good and played what the audience wanted to hear. They had a 70's night, 80's night and a teen dance party night over the 7 days on board.

Thanks for all the info. I still can't believe they're getting rid of the Dungeon to put in a stupid Tex-Mex restaurant!! :mad: You can't swing a cat without hitting one of those here on land already. But I know the bean-counters ran the numbers every which way, and that the extra fees from the restaurant will be more than the alcohol sales in the Dungeon. Sad. :(

Bubba Feathers Band, various locations, C&W band from TX mostly. Probably OK but I don't like C&W so no comment on their ability. They are older as in much older group.

That must have been the band that played out by the pool one day.

They came out and spent 40 min setting up, arranging instuments, check-check-check-check1,1,1,1,1,1, check.

Played 25 min then announced a 1 hour break.

Left with all the mics & sound on and the wind picking up throught the speakers very loudly.

Savannah Jack started with country music, but did all sorts of other music. They were one of the best and most fun guest acts that I have seen in many years! Be sure to check them out if you are lucky enough to have them on your cruise.