Taxis in Cozumel?

RavennaM

I've never seen so many taxis as I've seen in Cozumel.

Check the rates at the pier- they are set per destination, don't pay more. Know that if you pay in dollars you get a 10:1 exchange, which is easy to figure out mathematically, but you save a good amount if you use pesos (which is closer to 13:1 right now).

I've never seen so many taxis as I've seen in Cozumel.

Check the rates at the pier- they are set per destination, don't pay more. Know that if you pay in dollars you get a 10:1 exchange, which is easy to figure out mathematically, but you save a good amount if you use pesos (which is closer to 13:1 right now).

The prices I have seen posted at the piers were already in dollars :confused: - about $16+tip to get to PB for up to 4 in a cab. I have never bothered to change dollars into pesos in Coz, and only did so in Cancun so that we could catch a public bus.

The prices I have seen posted at the piers were already in dollars :confused: - about $16+tip to get to PB for up to 4 in a cab. I have never bothered to change dollars into pesos in Coz, and only did so in Cancun so that we could catch a public bus.

Well, that makes it easy to not bother with the exchange rate. The signs at various places around town are in pesos- and you'll see where the dollar rates come from: it's 10:1. Those signs don't change when the dollar/peso exchange changes.

For a single day trip, it probably isn't worth bothering using Pesos unless you have lots of other Mexican stops or plan on taking taxis many times during the day. For a week trip that we just completed we found it greatly worth our while to exchange money.