American Table & American Feast Menu

kgriff

Heald just posted an update to what ships will be receiving the new menus:

Carnival Inspiration - February 3rd

Carnival Imagination - February 16

Not sure if this is actually breaking news but last I had heard role out for Liberty was scheduled for January. I guess they have adjusted their plans. Personally I am disappointed, I really liked the look of the new menus despite all of the complaints I’ve read here. Change can be good, but people are always so against it. Oh well, maybe I will get to try it next year (if it sticks around)!

Not sure if this is actually breaking news but last I had heard role out for Liberty was scheduled for January. I guess they have adjusted their plans. Personally I am disappointed, I really liked the look of the new menus despite all of the complaints I’ve read here. Change can be good, but people are always so against it. Oh well, maybe I will get to try it next year (if it sticks around)!

Nope he just posted that Liberty started this week.

His first name is John, just in case you didn't know

Brass tacks:

(7 day menus)

Old menu - 78 appetizers (11 every night +1)

New menu - 48 appetizers (8 normal nights, 4 on formal nights)

= 39% reduction in appetizer choices

Old menu - 84 entrees (12 every night)

New menu - 60 entrees (10 on normal nights, 5 on formal nights)

= 29% reduction of entrée choices

Old menu - 49 deserts (7 every night)

New menu - 23 deserts (4 on normal nights, 1 on first formal, 2 on 2nd formal)

= 53% reduction of desert choices

Old menu - 21 soups (3 different per night)

New menu - 6 soups (1 choice per night, no soup on first formal)

= 62% reduction of soup choices

And this is supposed to be an upgrade?

Finally got my parents to try Carnival so if they liked it maybe we could cruise together more since they are the most affordable cruise option. Now I see why. I can figure with this new menu on the Liberty this will be the first and last time my parents will cruise Carnival.

Cruisers taking their business to other lines is the only way Carnival will learn.

I asked John Heald about it on Facebook and he says the results from the ship are mostly positive so ... it makes me wonder what Carnival considers positive feedback

While I was on the ship only 1 person / couple had anything positive to say about it. And we attended the question and answer session with the cruise director. He asked us point blank what we thought about the new menu. There was not a single positive response. And he acted like there was slim to no chance of it changing back.

"Does it increase profits?"

Therefore I agree with Crunchyfrog, the only thing that Carnival is really thinking is "Does it increase profits?"

And I completely understand that you cannot operate business at a loss, but this is really a shame.

Brass tacks:

(7 day menus)

Old menu - 78 appetizers (11 every night +1)

New menu - 48 appetizers (8 normal nights, 4 on formal nights)

= 39% reduction in appetizer choices

Old menu - 84 entrees (12 every night)

New menu - 60 entrees (10 on normal nights, 5 on formal nights)

= 29% reduction of entrée choices

Old menu - 49 deserts (7 every night)

New menu - 23 deserts (4 on normal nights, 1 on first formal, 2 on 2nd formal)

= 53% reduction of desert choices

Old menu - 21 soups (3 different per night)

New menu - 6 soups (1 choice per night, no soup on first formal)

= 62% reduction of soup choices

Crunchyfrog, I love the way you broke this down. Great job!

And your previous post was excellent as well.

Edited by kgriff

While I was on the ship only 1 person / couple had anything positive to say about it. And we attended the question and answer session with the cruise director. He asked us point blank what we thought about the new menu. There was not a single positive response. And he acted like there was slim to no chance of it changing back.

Therefore I agree with Crunchyfrog, the only thing that Carnival is really thinking is "Does it increase profits?"

And I completely understand that you cannot operate business at a loss, but this is really a shame.

That's pretty much what folks are posting on facebook as well. Apparently the "surveys" are supposedly coming back with positive results. I just hope my parents are not disappointed that we booked them on Carnival instead of another line when we gave them this cruise :(

OMG, my little daughter whines less than some Carnival guests! :confused:

Sorry if you find our discussion here offensive.

I simply wanted to start a rational conversation about the new Carnival menus in comparison to the old Carnival menus. And for the most part that is what I believe this has been: a rational conversation.

There have been a few disparaging remarks from those who have not even experienced the new menus but for the most part it has been a good and rational conversation.

Yes they will have some steak or chicken dish daily. Look at the "From The Grill" section in the "Mains" group of this menu and that will provide you with a good example: http://2c5ce52b0912fbc9a82b-84437363...%20Cozumel.jpg

The choices change but you will have some steak or chicken option.

Man, I'm gonna miss the fried chicken - it was actually really good! I've even been trying to convince my extremely picky brother to join us on an August cruise and told him he could have fried chicken or grilled steak every night as an enticement. Is legend scheduled for the new menu this year?

Interesting.

Other reviews here have been good. The menus have been posted and seem pretty straightforward and rather good. But that's just my opinion, I do respect yours.

I don't recall anyone else saying their food sat at the server station. I too am wondering why you didn't just ask for it?

Was any part of it good for you? New dishes, table setting, other's attire, dancing...

I just saw this comment...I wish somneone could point me in the direction of the other "good" reviews because I have not found one yet

I just saw this comment...I wish somneone could point me in the direction of the other "good" reviews because I have not found one yet

There has been one good review in this thread that I recall from someone who actually experienced the new menu. The rest of the "good" reviews in this thread are from people who have not experienced the new menu but have commented about how they think it looks fine to them.

The three things that really worry me are:

1. This is not just a reduction of choices, but a reduction by removing the more expensive (food cost/preparation) menu items. Unique soups and deserts for instance. This was the main reason I ate in the MDR, to try things like pumpkin soup and grand mariner soufflé. It's not a NEW menu, it's the OLD menu without the best stuff!

2. The other reason that I went to the MDR was the 'mood'. Tablecloth and cloth napkins. Being offered bread by the waiter. The overall mood was like a 4 star restaurant. Now with bare tables, communal platters, water pitcher and bread basket the mood is a Denny's (2 star).

3. With a reduction of choices this should NOT be more difficult for the staff, but easier. The guest either has soup, or no soup. They don't have to monitor the water glasses. But.... everyone says the time to get through the meal has increased from 75 minutes to 2 hours. The only way this could have happened with less choices and less labor is... less staff. I suspect they have decreased the wait staff by about a third.

I noticed that you could get a regular salad listed with other sides at the bottom of the menu.

I guess we don't have the same definition of a "regular salad". To me a regular salad would be a garden salad with 1,000 Island dressing... just like the one I got last night at Texas Roadhouse but couldn't get on the Carnival Glory in December.

1. This is not just a reduction of choices, but a reduction by removing the more expensive (food cost/preparation) menu items. Unique soups and deserts for instance. This was the main reason I ate in the MDR, to try things like pumpkin soup and grand mariner soufflé. It's not a NEW menu, it's the OLD menu without the best stuff!

Crunchyfrog you are right. Personally I want unique food on a cruise that I cannot get at home. But not everybody is going to like / want the same thing therefore they also need to have different options to choose from. And some of the best stuff was missing.

2. The other reason that I went to the MDR was the 'mood'. Tablecloth and cloth napkins. Being offered bread by the waiter. The overall mood was like a 4 star restaurant. Now with bare tables, communal platters, water pitcher and bread basket the mood is a Denny's (2 star).

Now you and I might differ a little here. I'm not hung up on the tablecloths or bread. And I actually like the water carafe because I like not having to wait to get my water glass refilled.

But I do agree with the whole 4 star restaurant mood thing. That is always neat. And we did have one waiter on multiple nights (we were "My Time Dinning" guests) that called us by our names. So that was cool that even though we didn't sit at the same table every night when we had him he knew our names and used them. It did make it feel "special".

3. With a reduction of choices this should NOT be more difficult for the staff, but easier. The guest either has soup, or no soup. They don't have to monitor the water glasses. But.... everyone says the time to get through the meal has increased from 75 minutes to 2 hours. The only way this could have happened with less choices and less labor is... less staff. I suspect they have decreased the wait staff by about a third.

Again I agree. It should be easier. And I'll chalk it up to 2 things:

1) The menu being new to EVERYONE (not only all the various servers in the MDR but everyone in the kitchen as well)

2) Less staff

Now I don't know for a fact that there is less staff, but it certainly appeared that way. Or again, maybe they were just that confused by the new menus that they were not nearly as efficient.

The three things that really worry me are:

Interesting and thought provoking comment. See your point but really hope you are wrong in this but thinking you are correct.

Doing the Glory in two weeks and will dsee for ourselves.

I guess we don't have the same definition of a "regular salad". To me a regular salad would be a garden salad with 1,000 Island dressing... just like the one I got last night at Texas Roadhouse but couldn't get on the Carnival Glory in December.

I enjoy a Caesar now and then, but regularly prefer a garden salad. IMHO Carnival has downgraded the options because the former costs less to prepare.

I find it interesting that Carnival changed the title from "dining room" to "restaurant". The new limited options and family-style (don't even get me started) seems a better fit for dining room. The original menu with far more selections ordered individually is a better fit for restaurant.

We have to experience it next January. Perhaps they will make improvements before then.

We cruise for the ocean, entertainment and dining. At least Carnival can't cut back on the first!