American Table & American Feast Menu

kgriff

I seem to remember a million complaints the last time Carnival changed the menu, and now some of you are begging for it. Weird!

Our first cruise with the new menu will not be until June, but I'm looking forward to it. The new menu looks streamlined and delicious. We still have one more opportunity with the comfort menu in February on the Fantasy. On Ramsey's a Kitchen Nightmares, one of the first things Gordon Ramsey does is reduce the size of the menu to increase efficiency and quality in the kitchen. I'm sure these things are similar when considering a cruise ship dining room. Think of the quantity of food discarded from not-so-popular "exotic" menu items! If Carnival can get the timing down with the new menu, I bet there won't be so many concerns and maybe even a bit more praise.

I don't think Carnival is trying to push everyone into the paid food venues simply because there aren't very many of them. Think about the new Carnival ships built over the last 7 years and all of the ones out of dry dock in the same period compared to Royal Caribbean. The Allure of the Seas has 25 designated food/restaurant/snack options. How many of them are no charge- 5 or so? Now look at the Carnival Dream- I don't know the exact number of food spots but I do know only 2 or 3 require payment. That's a huge difference- and a huge factor when you think about the costs involved to board the ship and then pay for food and beverage on the cruise. At least Carnival is consistently working on improving their food offerings without pushing paying extra. I'll know more after June, but I think there are always hiccups in new restaurants with quality and service when drastic changes are made. Give it a little time before you pollute the water.

PS- I'm not a cheerleader for any line. Look at post history for proof

I don't understand why a water pitcher is downgrading.... it wasn't one of those brown plastic water pitchers they have at hospitals was it? I would rather not wait for water when I am thirsty.

Could be people are looking at it as part of general downgrading of serving us. Taking tasks the waitstaff did and having guest do for themselves.

Doesnt bother me at all but will see how we feel about this in a few weeks on the Glory.

Could be people are looking at it as part of general downgrading of serving us. Taking tasks the waitstaff did and having guest do for themselves.

Doesnt bother me at all but will see how we feel about this in a few weeks on the Glory.

I am on the Sunshine in April so I may not be affected.

A few random comments while waiting for my flight home from the 1/11 Liberty Cruise:

1. There were table clothes on the tables EVERY night.

2. There was water service by the waiters – no carafes.

3. Bread was served piping hot and fresh in a basket – no rolls – but the bread was awesome.

4. The American Table menu was mounted on a large single page board – it was nicely done.

5. The American Feast menu was placed inside a napkin – the size of it looked too small for a “feast”.

6. The menus should all be standardized – and look like the American table menu.

7. Soup selection was VERY limited.

8. American Table - Appetizers were varied and we had a huge selection – all nicely presented – including the “shareable” ones.

9. American Feast – Appetizers were limited – as were soup selections.

10. I would add a soup to American Table – and eliminate an appetizer in trade.

11. I would add a soup to American Feast – and list on the menu that the shareable apps can still be had.

12. Food came piping hot – every meal – and was the best I have had on Carnival – perfectly cooked and presented.

13. I had Shrimp Cocktail every night – very fresh – served nice and cold – unlike some other cruises I’ve been on.

14. I’m not sure if all the perfection was because they had Miami/chef staff rolling this out – but if this is indicative of the normal going forward – then Carnival has done a great thing here.

15. We had any time dining – never waited for a table – and our waiter was super attentive – Michael – table 112.

16. We dined between 5:45 – 6:00pm each night – the room was fairly empty during those hours and seemed to really fill up around 7:00pm when we left.

17. Can’t comment on the desserts – didn’t partake.

18. The shareable flatbread is very good – try it – and the waiter serves it to you if you would like.

19. They have implemented a different procedure to reduce the line going in – you are greeted in the hall and “pre-checked” – room number etc. – and your table is assigned while in line – seemed a lot faster than in the past where they were dealing with the computer system to print out a ticket.

Interesting. So they have already reversed the removal of tablecloths, at least on the Liberty? Or did they just come to their senses and never remove them? Or are the tables on the Liberty not suited for exposure?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Yeah, Carnival said some of the ships will continue to have tablecloths until they can replace the tables, because the tables are in bad shape.

But ultimately the tablecloths will all be removed.

I note that Mike's cruise was the week when the new menu was not yet officially rolled out to the Liberty.

So the lack of water pitchers was probably that they had not received them yet.

Were they using the new American States plates, or the old china still?

As far as service time, Mike said that they ate anytime dining at 5:45... when the dining room was still empty.

Liberty is scheduled to transition empty from Miami to Canaveral on May 3rd, so they will probably replace the tables then, as the dining room will be shut down for 24 hours.

Edited by Crunchyfrog

I don't understand why a water pitcher is downgrading.... it wasn't one of those brown plastic water pitchers they have at hospitals was it? I would rather not wait for water when I am thirsty.

I think it is a downgrade, because once again, if you are sharing a table with strangers, you have to all touch the same handle of the water pitcher. Okay, I am an admitted germ-a-phobe. I sanitize before the Lido buffet, and again before I touch my fork. I don't want the germs of everyone who touches a utensil (or pitcher) on my hands when I am eating.

Thanks for your comments. This makes me feel better as we are cruising on Liberty next month. We were just on her in October and had great service and the food was really good. I too hope they tweak these new menus with a few more soup and dessert options. Otherwise they look pretty good to me.

A few random comments while waiting for my flight home from the 1/11 Liberty Cruise:

1. There were table clothes on the tables EVERY night.

2. There was water service by the waiters – no carafes.

3. Bread was served piping hot and fresh in a basket – no rolls – but the bread was awesome.

4. The American Table menu was mounted on a large single page board – it was nicely done.

5. The American Feast menu was placed inside a napkin – the size of it looked too small for a “feast”.

6. The menus should all be standardized – and look like the American table menu.

7. Soup selection was VERY limited.

8. American Table - Appetizers were varied and we had a huge selection – all nicely presented – including the “shareable” ones.

9. American Feast – Appetizers were limited – as were soup selections.

10. I would add a soup to American Table – and eliminate an appetizer in trade.

11. I would add a soup to American Feast – and list on the menu that the shareable apps can still be had.

12. Food came piping hot – every meal – and was the best I have had on Carnival – perfectly cooked and presented.

13. I had Shrimp Cocktail every night – very fresh – served nice and cold – unlike some other cruises I’ve been on.

14. I’m not sure if all the perfection was because they had Miami/chef staff rolling this out – but if this is indicative of the normal going forward – then Carnival has done a great thing here.

15. We had any time dining – never waited for a table – and our waiter was super attentive – Michael – table 112.

16. We dined between 5:45 – 6:00pm each night – the room was fairly empty during those hours and seemed to really fill up around 7:00pm when we left.

17. Can’t comment on the desserts – didn’t partake.

18. The shareable flatbread is very good – try it – and the waiter serves it to you if you would like.

19. They have implemented a different procedure to reduce the line going in – you are greeted in the hall and “pre-checked” – room number etc. – and your table is assigned while in line – seemed a lot faster than in the past where they were dealing with the computer system to print out a ticket.

Thanks for your comments. This makes me feel better as we are cruising on Liberty next month. We were just on her in October and had great service and the food was really good. I too hope they tweak these new menus with a few more soup and dessert options. Otherwise they look pretty good to me.

I also want more salad and soup options; but I remember the olden days...

We have always been served that way. :confused: When we order more than one appetizer (which is most nights) we would always be served one after the other. I've never been at at dinner and had the server bring all the appetizers I ordered at one time. Is this common? It makes sense to do them the way to do, IMHO. Don't think I'd want a circle of appetizers at my place waiting to be eaten. That's just me.

We have never been served all the appetizers or entrees at one time. If we ordered 2 entrees, we were served one at a time, same with appetizers, actually even deserts.

I know I just posted above, but I had to put my 2 cents in about the food/new menu situation on Carnival. I have been on 26 Carnival cruises and have 2 more booked this year. I enjoy the food on a cruise, but this is not a major factor in booking a cruise. Just the cruise is enough but I do like to pick a cruise with an itinerary that is appealing. I guess that would be my first choice. Second would be price and third would be port. Food is very subjective with most people. Between the deli and the Lido deck buffet and the MDR, if you cannot find something to your liking for dinner, I really don't know what you are looking for. I know dining is part of the cruise experience but it is just "part". Just as entertainment. Dining and entertainment you cannot control but the cruise experience as far as visiting exotic ports and enjoying the cultures and people of these countries you can control when you choose your cruise.

This...And some are refusing to sail Carnival over lack of tablecloths. Really?

I know I just posted above, but I had to put my 2 cents in about the food/new menu situation on Carnival. I have been on 26 Carnival cruises and have 2 more booked this year. I enjoy the food on a cruise, but this is not a major factor in booking a cruise. Just the cruise is enough but I do like to pick a cruise with an itinerary that is appealing. I guess that would be my first choice. Second would be price and third would be port. Food is very subjective with most people. Between the deli and the Lido deck buffet and the MDR, if you cannot find something to your liking for dinner, I really don't know what you are looking for. I know dining is part of the cruise experience but it is just "part". Just as entertainment. Dining and entertainment you cannot control but the cruise experience as far as visiting exotic ports and enjoying the cultures and people of these countries you can control when you choose your cruise.

BTW, everything that was posted on 1/19 was lost from this thread. That’s unfortunate because there was a lot posted. Anyway, I’ll try to repeat one comment that I made to help further explain why the reduction of menu choices is not a good thing.

First as a refresher:

Appetizer = 39% reduction in choices

Entrées = 29% reduction of choices

Deserts = 53% reduction of choices

Soups = 62% reduction of choices

If the menu had MY three most favorite foods and only MY three most favorite foods then I would love the menu. Now chances are there wouldn’t be too many other people who would love the menu. But hey “screw em” because after all I love the menu. But here is the problem with that. If nobody else even likes the menu then people would stop going. And before too long then the company would shut down because people stopped going. So now even though I loved the menu I can’t get the menu anymore because the company shut down because people stopped going.

Therefore more choices are a good thing. Reduced choices are not a good thing. There are still some VERY good choices on the new menus. But there were two nights in particular where none of the choices were good enough (much less very good) to draw us to the MDR. But if there would have been just a couple of more choices then maybe those choices would have been good enough to draw us to the MDR. And as far as the Lido buffet goes, it’s not really much different than say Old Country Buffet. Which we really try to avoid.

Now if they don’t want to re-add some choices back to the new menu then I have a real simple solution. Just keep Guy’s Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Cantina open until 9 PM. I just might skip the MDR more often to eat dinner at these two places!

BTW, everything that was posted on 1/19 was lost from this thread. That’s unfortunate because there was a lot posted. Anyway, I’ll try to repeat one comment that I made to help further explain why the reduction of menu choices is not a good thing.

First as a refresher:

Appetizer = 39% reduction in choices

Entrées = 29% reduction of choices

Deserts = 53% reduction of choices

Soups = 62% reduction of choices

If the menu had MY three most favorite foods and only MY three most favorite foods then I would love the menu. Now chances are there wouldn’t be too many other people who would love the menu. But hey “screw em” because after all I love the menu. But here is the problem with that. If nobody else even likes the menu then people would stop going. And before too long then the company would shut down because people stopped going. So now even though I loved the menu I can’t get the menu anymore because the company shut down because people stopped going.

Therefore more choices are a good thing. Reduced choices are not a good thing. There are still some VERY good choices on the new menus. But there were two nights in particular where none of the choices were good enough (much less very good) to draw us to the MDR. But if there would have been just a couple of more choices then maybe those choices would have been good enough to draw us to the MDR. And as far as the Lido buffet goes, it’s not really much different than say Old Country Buffet. Which we really try to avoid.

Now if they don’t want to re-add some choices back to the new menu then I have a real simple solution. Just keep Guy’s Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Cantina open until 9 PM. I just might skip the MDR more often to eat dinner at these two places!

I don't disagree with you.

But your "logic" here definitely reminds me of the conversation I had with John Heald on fb when the "new" Chef's Table menu was put on to the Breeze. :o I was disappointed and expressed concern that the quality and options served didn't hold a candle to the original menu that we enjoyed on the Miracle.

He repeatedly pointed to the fact that the Chef's Table had "great interest" and they were basically turning people away. I kept asking what about those who see the decline in the quality and choices (Chilean Sea Bass and Filet cooked to order changed to Cornish Game Hen and Waygu short rib) between the original and updated menu and therefore don't choose to do it again?

It was obvious that he wasn't concerned as long as it was still a "sell out" on most ships. I feel like this is the same thing. As long a people are still going to the MDR - it will be considered a "brilliant success". It doesn't seem to matter that the guests may not enjoy the meal - like they used to.

Quite disappointing..... :(

From what I have been reading that seems rather hard to believe.

Desserts seem to be less costly now than they were. Gotta be cheaper to make one pie than say six servings of bitter and blanc.

I haven't perused the new menus yet, but are you saying that B&B is gone?!? :-(

We didn't have bitter and blanc... or any of the following for that matter:

black forest gateau

baked alaska

amaretto cake

grand marnier souffle

creme brulee

...cherries jubilee is also gone from the menu.

And from soups, all 'unusual' or 'posh' soups are gone (like bing cherry, Yukon gold potato, asparagus creme.... and PUMPKIN SOUP). Pumpkin really surprises me, as most people considered the pumpkin soup to be a Carnival 'signature' item just like the chocolate melting cake.

You get ONE choice of soup per night, and they are all choices that you would find at your local restaurants (French onion, chicken noodle, tortilla, black bean, etc).

In fact, that seems the MAIN theme of the 'American Table' menu... items you would find at MOST restaurants in America.

And that is the primary reason I dislike the new menu... there is ZERO adventure in the new menu. I might as well have stayed home and gone to TGI Fridays.

As I have said earlier, I think this is a two part plan by Carnival...

1 ) reduce the MDR budget by removing the high food cost menu items and reducing the staff, and

2) encourage more people to eat at the Lido dinner buffet and premium restaurants.

NCL and RC did this same change to their menus in the last two years, and probably for the same reasons.

But Carnival ships don't have 4 to 7 premium restaurants like NCL and RC do.

So I expect all of the Carnival ship food ratings on Cruise Critic to drop from around 4 to 2 (Which they already did for all of Glory's December reviews).

Edited by Crunchyfrog

I think this 'budget cut' menu is the tip of an iceberg.

Carnival has taken a lot of hard hits lately, and not just with the Triumph Poop Cruise...

- Both NCL and Disney are expanding their Caribbean fleets, and out-bidding Carnival for ports like Tortola, causing Carnival to scramble for itineraries.

- Most of the ports are noticing this increased traffic, and are either building more piers or adding more tenders... and are planning to increase the port and tender fees.

- Carnival occupancy in Europe crashed (European economy, Costa sinking, and because the ships are American themed) and Carnival had to pull all their ships out of Europe because they were running half empty.

Summation: There are now MORE Carnival ships competing for the same American market, against MORE NCL and Disney ships, with increased port taxes and tender fees looming on the horizon.

So I expect even more budget cuts over the next two years, with the onboard entertainment and number of ports visited as the next cuts.

Edited by Crunchyfrog

Assume most have seen sample menu John posted...

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2013/12/03/the-american-table/

We are flying in from Prince Edward Island, no way would I drive - very brave to drive from Ottawa. We just got and very generous and fresh dump of snow last night (same system that travelled the Eastern seaboard of the USA).. Would not look forward to driving for the better part of 24 hours before getting out of the snow.

Because I quoted from the Menus board, my response was posted on the Menu Board rather than the appropriate roll call. Apologies.

Assume most have seen sample menu John posted...

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2013/12/03/the-american-table/

We are flying in from Prince Edward Island, no way would I drive - very brave to drive from Ottawa. We just got and very generous and fresh dump of snow last night (same system that travelled the Eastern seaboard of the USA).. Would not look forward to driving for the better part of 24 hours before getting out of the snow.

So I expect all of the Carnival ship food ratings on Cruise Critic to drop from around 4 to 2 (Which they already did for all of Glory's December reviews).

Hey, where is that? Where do I need to go (link) to weigh in on the food ratings?